New boss @ KCBS/KCAL

bogusabc7breakingnews

from LA Observed...

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2009/12/channels_2_9_get_a_new_bo.php

Patrick McClenahan is out as the KCBS/KCAL duopoly's president and general manager. In is Steve Mauldin, who has been overseeing the CBS duopoly in Dallas/Fort Worth. Some analysis by Michael Schneider at Variety notes that Maludin used to work here at Channel 7 and that McClenahan's future plans are unclear. Release after the jump.

Steve Mauldin has been named President and General Manager of CBS Television Station’s Los Angeles properties – KCBS-TV and KCAL-TV, it was announced today by Peter Dunn, President, CBS Television Stations. Mauldin, who most recently served as President and General Manager of the company’s Dallas/Fort Worth duopoly KTVT-TV (CBS) and KTXA-TV (independent) will now oversee all operations for the Los Angeles properties, which comprise the country’s largest local station duopoly. He will report to Dunn. “Steve is one of our most experienced executives running major market duopolies, having done so in both Dallas and Miami to great effect – both in terms of driving sales growth and leading his stations to first place in late news,” said Dunn. “He is a local TV veteran who was successful in Los Angeles earlier in his career, knows the intricacies of our business very well, and brings purpose and vision to every assignment he’s given. Los Angeles is a huge market for CBS and we’re privileged to have one of our strongest operators leading the charge.”

“I’m very excited to return to the Los Angeles market and embrace this terrific opportunity,” said Mauldin. “The past six years in Dallas have been the most fulfilling years in my career and I’m so proud of everything we’ve accomplished together. But I’m looking forward to this new challenge, and Los Angeles is such a huge, diverse market with unlimited opportunities for growth – including new initiatives with our CBS Local Media partners at the seven CBS RADIO stations in this market. I’m eager to work with Peter and all the employees of KCBS and KCAL who have made the stations a true comeback story.”

Mauldin, a 32-year television industry veteran, most recently served as President and General Manager of the company’s Dallas duopoly KTVT-TV and KTXA-TV. Under his leadership, KTVT finished the November 2009 sweep in first place in late news for the first time ever. He also for a time oversaw the company’s entire southwest portfolio when it owned stations in Austin and Oklahoma City. Before that he was President and GM of its Miami duopoly, WFOR-TV Channel 4 and WBFS-TV Channel 33 (and for a while WTVX-TV West Palm Beach, before the station was sold). While in Miami, WFOR rose from last to first place in late news. Previously, Mauldin served as president and general manager of WTSP-TV, Gannett's CBS affiliate in Tampa, Fla. Before that, he was vice president and general manager of Gaylord Broadcasting Company’s KHTV-TV Houston; vice president and station manager KTVT-TV Dallas, when it was owned by Gaylord Broadcasting; and vice president and general manager of WVUE-TV, New Orleans. He began his television career as an account executive at KOSA-TV in Odessa, Texas, and later held sales positions at KABC-TV Los Angeles and ABC Spot Sales in Los Angeles.

Mauldin will succeed Patrick McClenahan as the duopoly's President and General Manager. McClenahan is leaving the company to pursue other opportunities.

"Patrick McClenahan has been a valued member of our team, especially during times of change and uncertainty," Dunn added. "We sincerely thank him for his many contributions to our success over the years and wish him the very best in his future endeavors."

It looks like the new guy is starting to make changes. Someone in the tvspy.com watercooler stated he will be getting rid of the NewsCentral branding. Supposedly there was a meeting Friday about it. If this is true, which it seems to be ,what a waist of money

It's interesting because all the live reports today, due to the StormWatch, all the reporters ended their reports saying CBS2 News. Not NewsCentral. Even the anchors are not saying NewsCentral anymore. Just CBS2 News.

The graphics still say NewsCentral for the time being.

```

Just an quick update. It is official. NewsCentral is dead. KCAL went back to KCAL 9 News. More changes to come.

RIP NewsCentral 9/19/09 - 12/11/09

I agree that "NewsCentral" title and branding sucked and needed to go. But I believe that the message that it should have sent, that LOCAL news still needs to be covered by the local stations, should be maintained.

KTLA, for one, has wonderful graphics and music, a lovely set, and good talent. But like their colleagues at the LA Times (who totally eliminated the local news front on weekdays), they don't devote enough attention to local stories. Sure, they do the usual murder here, trial there, outrage somewhere, weather, and sports. In a half-hour newscast, there wouldn't be too much more. But the recent "expansion" of coverage at the station and others like it has meant that the viewer gets a huge chunk of filler, too. With the whole business struggling, it's hard to resist the temptation of showing those easy and cheap generic pooled affiliate service stories. For everyone at home, however, what seems to be the same "baby born in the backseat of a car in Kansas" story gets flashed at them at least once a week!

Visually, I find KCBS/KCAL not as pleasing as most of the other stations. They run PLENTY of fluff, too. But their combination of resources and their cooperation with the struggling community newspapers is unique in the sense that it means superior local coverage. I have long been a KABC fan, but I can't stand how every interesting local story ends up branded "New at 6," unlike KCAL where it is just a regular part of a newscast that includes many more (though sometimes rather quick) local stories. This is just what the duopoly, "the largest news operation in Southern California," was supposed to bring. So why not let the viewer know?

For national politics, there's cable news all day and night. For a summary of events around the country and world, there's the nightly newscasts. For entertainment, there's the 10,000 celebrity gossip shows. KCBS/KCAL should find a way better than NewsCentral to distinguish themselves as the stations for local stories.

Ahh, yet another ambitious dream gone down the Channel 2 drain of shame...dumping Jerry Dunphy, Jess Marlow quitting, the 1986 pinwheel, Keith Olbermann, the 7 O'Clock News, Steve Rambo, Bill Applegate, Action News, john lippman, bringing Dunphy back, Channel 2 Eyewitness News, CBS2 News, The Station of the People, Bogey's Corner, the billions of new Channel/CBS2 promos............it just keeps failing over at 2.

In a few months they will probably drop all the references to NewsCentral, that most likely means new graphics all together. You know that when a new boss comes in, he wants everything new. I can't say that i'm surprised about the changes that will come, but what surprised me was that KCBS was #3 in the ratings at 11pm. What would really help the duopoly is if the new gm brought back some familiar faces (i.e. David Jackson, Kerry Kilbride, etc), and start canning the weak talent.

• 3 weeks later...

I see CBS2 went back to the old opens too. I'm glad both stations got rid of the "news tickers" at the bottom of the screen.

I wonder when / if they will get new graphics. Someone on a different website speculated that was the reason why they haven't removed the NewsCentral bug yet.

Archived