WNBC still doing 4:3 live remotes

IceManNYR

I'm wondering why in the last 6 months or so WNBC has gone back do doing most live remotes in 4:3 SD when every other local channel with HD newscasts does reports in 16:9 SD or HD?

I've noticed that as well and it seems like it is only the live shots and not the rest of the video in the B-roll. I didn't even wonder why...because then again, it is WNBC.

Good grief. Here I am, in flyover country, and we can manage this one. Every station in St. Louis began doing 16:9 remotes immediately upon going HD.

This is an NBC O&O we're talking about.. I can tell you from experience that most NBC O&O's are definitely NOT what they used to be anymore.. WMAQ in Chicago is loaded with so many technical problems, errors, and mistakes on their newscasts but they're never fixed. Some of these problems have been on-air for even a couple years. You see these same problems everyday when you turn on their newscasts and you can tell people there about it but you know it'll never get fixed.. It's either nobody at the station cares about those things at all, nobody cares to bother fixing them, nobody knows how to fix them there anymore, or the budget isn't there anymore to do anything. Of all the main Chicago news stations, WMAQ probably has the least amount of employees.. The people there are being driven and squeezed to do the most possible that management can get out of them so the motivation, time, and energy just isn't there anymore to do and fix the "extras".. Heck, much of the cubicles in the WMAQ newsroom are empty these days so they "decorated" much of them with random office supplies, papers, and fake photos just to make it look like it's a newsroom fully being used since it's the backdrop of their main studio.

This is an NBC O&O we're talking about.. I can tell you from experience that most NBC O&O's are definitely NOT what they used to be anymore.. WMAQ in Chicago is loaded with so many technical problems, errors, and mistakes on their newscasts but they're never fixed. Some of these problems have been on-air for even a couple years. You see these same problems everyday when you turn on their newscasts and you can tell people there about it but you know it'll never get fixed.. It's either nobody at the station cares about those things at all, nobody cares to bother fixing them, nobody knows how to fix them there anymore, or the budget isn't there anymore to do anything. Of all the main Chicago news stations, WMAQ probably has the least amount of employees.. The people there are being driven and squeezed to do the most possible that management can get out of them so the motivation, time, and energy just isn't there anymore to do and fix the "extras".. Heck, much of the cubicles in the WMAQ newsroom are empty these days so they "decorated" much of them with random office supplies, papers, and fake photos just to make it look like it's a newsroom fully being used since it's the backdrop of their main studio.

And we wonder why Zucker still has a job. He's really screwed up the NBC O&O group. Great insight, Lazy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wonder that myself. WNBC's on-field live shoots are always SD WS when in 16:9. This all started with LXNY at 5 started back in September. Sometimes it is a signal issue but why all the time. My guess is a change in the control room for LXNY@5.

Archived