Just got back from WABC's Town Hall Meeting....

justin2kx

...and it was a fascinating experience. I don't know how many of you ever went to a town hall meeting but I saw community service as it happens. It was at the Brooklyn Museum in the Cantor Auditorium on third floor (close to where I live, specifically at East 49th in crown heights). The meeting started as 7pm and ended at about 8:12pm (It was supposed to be ended at 8:30 but they to cut short to go back to work) A lot of people were there, not totally filled up though. Some asking questions, some like me taking all the atmosphere. Bill Ritter and Sade Baderinwa were there as well as GM Rebecca Campbell, News Director Kenny Plotnik, Investigative Reporter Jim Hoffer and an assingment editor (Marilu Galvez) helping out people with their scam stories. People collected the business card with Galvez' contacts on it as well a brochure detailing the profile of the station. Some highlights to point out as I wrote down on my single short paper:

1.As I arrived a little bit late, I was able to catch one who asked if the minority journalists like those at 7 look over the stories affecting the minorities to see if they are reported as much objective (not too negative or light rather) as possible. Sade responded as "an african american she sees value of what needs to reported in the communities they serve".

2. Another asked about a complex that cost $570000 that the state is paying the landlord to house for those with low income. Rather, the homeless occupy in the state of the art building. While the man is guarenteed to be paid, the homeless was paid by the state $140 a night and $4k a month total. A story needed to be investigated as suggested. Sorry my mind was sketchy as I write the highlights down.

3. BTW, Rebecca acknowledges the cablevision customers who are back in receiving channel 7 and how they swiftly were able to come to agreement, of course the two would certainly drop the ball had the mess draw past the oscars. In their point of view, cablevision charges the station and other channels up to $18 a month while their own channel Sundance not only charge little to none on their own carrier but they charge more on other providers. The station receives nothing at the end.

4.As a "Public owned airwaves station", how does it translate to public affairs shows that are not only supposed to be on air but serving the communties as well. He recognizes "Like it is with Gil Noble" as one example tha led to a good cattle of applause. Another example the GM points out is "Tiempo" with Joe Torres that also received some applause as well.

5. A man talked about the extra digital channels he receives from the converter on TV including Live Well HD and Eyewitness News Now. He asked "How many cooking shows can we get?" (Editor's Note: Let alone Top Chef and Iron Chef, but that's another story)

6. At 320 Sterling place, an "erectile"(?) landlord resembles like "The Super" starring Joe Pesci (you probably need to see the movie to get the point) and the mayor would likely appreciate a republican than the low income residents occupy the building. There is no other use of the building except that the seniors are there but they are harassed by the housing police. The woman suggested that Obama make "some change go around in Brooklyn".

7. This question hits home for many of us here. A college student asked how to be an intern at channel 7, to which the GM answered there are spring and summer sessions to attend and you must take college courses for credits. The students also acknowledged that "Sade is the most beautiful woman on TV" that had the audience in a fit of laughter and applause, to which the GM agrees that she is more beautiful in person as she is on TV.

8. A survivor of 9/11 had a bag that holds 14 (if not more i think) medications afted being ill from the complications of the environmental conditions of ground zero. Lawyers turned him and others away because they ran out of money to pay. I think the lawyers should be docked the excess pay they get and pay the ailing in my opinion.

9. A resident from Central Brooklyn works at organic foods to local minority farmers but there are no response from politicians because they and the media recognize more foreign food co-ops than local and get support out of it.

10. Here's a funny kind of question one nostalgiac might fonder: An older woman asked why the station cancelled the Friday, Saturday, and Sunday late night movies (LOST (Sat.) , Grey's Anatomy (Sun) and other low syndication ilk fill the schedule now)

the GM responded that the many companies are now distributed to Cable and online and on-demand etc. Get ready for this, Rebecca reminisced when the "Million Dollar Movie" was on, to which some in the audience acnowledged to remember as well.

In my childhood, I remember 7 had the weekday Late Night Movie that played after "Politically Incorrect" and before "World News Now"

11. One man responds to how none of the media reports of unempolyment especially college grads like him 2 years after graduating. He did apply for a job at ABC though.

12. As some of you remember WPIX's reports on student cards, one brought up on the budget cuts that can eliminate student cards. one suggested that the MTA board of trustees should not (as well as their family) ride free and should be docked pay to pay fare like every one else or the MTA clean house and put in basically more competent people to the seats. Almost every politician will have to side to the students' free card just to get re-elected. That's politics for you.

13. You may recognize that the condos in Brighton beach are housed by russians hands down but not much by the reasonably income residents they are fearing if they have to move to places like North Carolina.

14.A group of babysitters for Child care centers acknowledeges that leases are up and for budget cuts, the mayor and ACS child services close them one by one. 9 million dollars will be saved for budget. ACS could go to one of the centers and see oversized classes. With 5 centers in Ft. Greene where will the children go?

15.One woman is astonished how when people are out of housing and education is in jeopardy on a world ranking literacy level, why Tiger Woods dominates the News. We don't need to know his affairs. There is not much investigative reporting in the newspapers as well. This comes from a loyal ABC viewer who is fed up and about to give up, you know damn well TMZ has changed the game forever with the "reporting" or lack thereof as such. Bill responded that eyewitness news is also a "magazine" as well, thus the reason for the coverage.

These are the highlights that is relatable to any and every station's Town hall meeting out there not just for viewers, for citizens.

The meeting came to a close and I was able to take pictures of all four ABC 7 employees, Campbell, Baderinwa, Ritter, and Hoffer on my cell phone. May I say that out of the four, Sade was Picture Perfect Frame smiling with eyes pointing towards the camera as she was rushing out and I definitely concur with the GM and the college student. I was amazed at her beauty. The four are very approachable especially Bill, Sade and even Rebecca. Such for being a GM into the people. I'll try to upload them and the clips if I can and I'm showing my mother all the fun tonight that i'll never forget.

Vlad, all I have to say is, You would have loved to be there :)

Update: here's the clip from 11pm http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/video?id=7324070

And I will be there the next time they have one! :D

Justin, I honestly truly regret not being there! It seems like one of those important opportunities and experiences that one should not miss regardless if you are in the industry or not, and considering how much we talk about WABC and Eyewitnes News on these forums, it seemed like that was our only chance to get all of our questions truly answered. They were open to many questions too so we could've asked just about anything pertaining to the station as was done. I'm suprised that a lot of us actually did not show up... I will make sure to attend the next town hall meeting. :), regardless of how far it is. Hopefully they'll do another one in the Summer or maybe the Spring. But unfortunately, it seems like they only do this a few times per year. And this being the second one thus far this year, it would be great to see them come into the Long Island Area next time around, because Brooklyn is awfully too far for me, and I had classes that day out in Farmingdale.. I wonder if the other stations do this too, it would be great to attend some of these.

Indeed, and may I also add wabceyewitness that they also did in the Bronx at Cardinal Hayes High School on Feb. 18.

To show you guys what went down, here are videos that highlight much of the event, posted by stevengomez247, who was also there:

Pt. 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K89PL5id_6I

Pt. 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDXcswookOI

Pt. 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX-LKQEa7qk

Pt. 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRkKuv96MV8

Pt. 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj9ziUrMrwg

And the pics he took: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9otwQp96YvU

Enjoy!

This is something I'd like to see more stations do; an added bonus would be for viewers at home and online to be able to see these (either on the main channel or subchannel).

It's a great idea and I hope WABC continues them.

Archived