FOX interested in NBA, Golf

d247

FOX Sports CEO Interested in NBA, Golf

http://sportsmediawatch.blogspot.com/2010/03/fox-sports-ceo-interested-in-nba-golf.html

In an interview with the Los Angeles Times, FOX Sports CEO David Hill was asked what sport FOX would like to acquire that it does not currently have. Hill mentioned both the NBA and the sport of golf in his reply.

"I think the NBA is starting to make a resurgence," Hill told the Times, "I'm a little interested in golf. Not because of the Tiger [Woods] thing. There are a lot of young hot players coming through now, which is going to give it a lift."

LA Times interview

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ct-facetime25-2010mar25,0,6190283.story

I also read that FOX Sports will broadcast the Olympic Games in 2014 and 2016, yanking the broadcast license away from NBC Sports and Bob Costas.

For a network that is off-the-wall and no-holds-barred, that is quite odd to carry golf, the olympics and NBA - the stuff reserved for ABC, CBS and NBC.

I also read that FOX Sports will broadcast the Olympic Games in 2014 and 2016, yanking the broadcast license away from NBC Sports and Bob Costas.

For a network that is off-the-wall and no-holds-barred, that is quite odd to carry golf, the olympics and NBA - the stuff reserved for ABC, CBS and NBC.

FOX hasn't gotten the rights, they're just bidding for them, along with ESPN. CBS and Time Warner are considering a joint bid, as well.

Well, it would be interesting to see how FOX would cover the NBA. Though, I think the idea of Joe Buck calling the Finals will probably leave a bad taste in a few people's mouths. I'd personally like to CBS go for the NBA, why? Two words, Gus Johnson. Rise and fire.

Well, it would be interesting to see how FOX would cover the NBA. Though, I think the idea of Joe Buck calling the Finals will probably leave a bad taste in a few people's mouths. I'd personally like to CBS go for the NBA, why? Two words, Gus Johnson. Rise and fire.

Well either way, I hope ABC loses the NBA once their contract expires in 2016.

The NBA on ABC sucks, Hands Down!

Considering the fact that Fox already does regional coverage of NBA games on its sports networks, it would be a seamless transition, IMO, with Fox airing select NBA games on weekends as well as during the postseason.

CBS has done coverage of the NBA before, so I wouldn't be surprised if they try to make a bid for it again in the future.

NBA on NBC.

Seriously, just to hear Roundball Rock again.

Last time they played that on TV was during the 2008 Olympics for men's basketball. On the John Tesh (he created it) radio show, he plays a party version of that the top of every hour.

Roundball Rock in a concert:

Party version (couldn't find a clean one):

FOX does cover College Football, but only during the Christmas and New Years, including the BCS games.

Well, not if you count all the Pac-10 and Big XII college football games that air on FSN.

But the BCS on Fox is dunzo. 2010 marked the fourth and final season for it, as the 2011 Bowl Championship Series games will be on ESPN, with the Rose Bowl remaining on ESPN/ABC. I'm not sure about the AT&T Cotton Bowl, which Fox has had rights to for a while (predating the BCS package).

Fox will keep the Gator Bowl as it is not a part of the BCS.

Sigh... I mentioned the AT&T Cotton Bowl in my post, which Fox has had the rights to for a while. The Cotton Bowl organizers had hopes of becoming a BCS bowl game when they moved the game to the new Cowboys Stadium, but I think that's off the table now.

CBS owns the broadcast rights to the Konica Minolta Gator Bowl, as well as the Brut Sun Bowl. Fox has the AT&T Cotton Bowl, NFL Network has the Insight Bowl, ESPN/ABC has the Rose Bowl Game presented by Citi (and the BCS National Championship Game when it's played in Pasadena), and the rest of the college bowl games are on plain ol' ESPN/ESPN2.

Why I know that offhand is entirely beyond me. As is why I bother participating in this forum...

Sigh... I mentioned the AT&T Cotton Bowl in my post, which Fox has had the rights to for a while. The Cotton Bowl organizers had hopes of becoming a BCS bowl game when they moved the game to the new Cowboys Stadium, but I think that's off the table now.

CBS owns the broadcast rights to the Konica Minolta Gator Bowl, as well as the Brut Sun Bowl. Fox has the AT&T Cotton Bowl, NFL Network has the Insight Bowl, ESPN/ABC has the Rose Bowl Game presented by Citi (and the BCS National Championship Game when it's played in Pasadena), and the rest of the college bowl games are on plain ol' ESPN/ESPN2.

Why I know that offhand is entirely beyond me. As is why I bother participating in this forum...

Sorry, man It was late and I had my bowl mixed up for sec. You are right. CBS has the Gator and FOX will still have the Cotton. There so many it's easy to confuse bowls

Well either way, I hope ABC loses the NBA once their contract expires in 2016.

The NBA on ABC sucks, Hands Down!

And a lot of people would say the same thing about ESPN on ABC--because that led to the demise of the ABC Sports name (which I adored growing up).

• 2 weeks later...

I think Fox needs to stay in its lane, which is the NFL and other miscellaneous sports and leave the heavy stuff to better known networks for their NBA, golf coverage like NBC or CBS.

...and other miscellaneous sports...

I think the sports FOX carries (NFL, MLB, and NASCAR) are pretty major... not sure what you mean by that.

FOX doesn't really appeal to the golf audience, so I think that would be the only hurdle. I'd think wherever the golf is, its viewers will follow.

I think the sports FOX carries (NFL, MLB, and NASCAR) are pretty major... not sure what you mean by that.

FOX doesn't really appeal to the golf audience, so I think that would be the only hurdle. I'd think wherever the golf is, its viewers will follow.

I understand that MLB and NASCAR are also major sports, but FOX sucks at MLB coverage, so they need to stick what made them popular NFL. Since FOX does tend to want to attract a specific audience, they can cover NASCAR but beyond that they should stick to miscellaneous sports.

No that would be TBS.

TBS actually made a progressive move by firing Chip Caray after last year's disaster, so it seems they're looking to improve.

Fox, on the other hand, continues to have Buck and McCarver cover MLB, and have you ever seen Fox's NASCAR telecasts? It's a complete farce; the personalities do nothing but talk about themselves and act like idiots instead of actually covering the race. It's not just the personalities' fault; the production staff is largely responsible for much of the garbage content that gets pumped into their NASCAR telecasts - they're the people who place the emphasis on doing fluff material instead of covering the races.

Despite this, I think Fox might do ok with the NBA as long as they cover it like they do the NFL, but I still think the NBA would be better suited elsewhere. Too bad TNT doesn't have a broadcast TV outlet; it would be nice for them to handle the Finals.

As for golf, it really doesn't seem like it's up Fox's alley. The only positive note is that the seriousness of golf wouldn't allow them to act silly and irresponsible like they do on their NASCAR broadcasts, so some professional standards would be set for how Fox handles their golf telecasts.

By the way, I don't know if it would be a seamless transition to cover the NBA just because regional FSNs cover it; remember, the FSNs all use local commentators and production staffs that are specific to each team, so you can't just have these people cover the national games. Instead, they would probably use their NFL crews and play-by-play guys to cover the NBA, and they would have to hire a reasonable staff of former NBA players to provide color commentary.

...and have you ever seen Fox's NASCAR telecasts? It's a complete farce; the personalities do nothing but talk about themselves and act like idiots instead of actually covering the race. It's not just the personalities' fault; the production staff is largely responsible for much of the garbage content that gets pumped into their NASCAR telecasts - they're the people who place the emphasis on doing fluff material instead of covering the races.

I really haven't paid much attention to NASCAR lately, but FOX's coverage used to be pretty good. I know they brought along that Digger character. I heard ESPN's coverage is supposed to be pretty good.

Nothing will be worse than NASCAR on NBC... blech.

I take that back; ABC's NBA Coverage. We see the Lakers *every* friggin week. And the analysis is beyond terrible.

That's when they actually air a regular-season game. And as much as NBC used to get criticized for overkill on their NBA promotion, one would hardly know ABC has the NBA other than the Finals and maybe a handful of playoff games.

If FOX did get the NBA, I would think they could see if Kenny Albert would call the games (unlike a certain broadcaster who shall remain nameless, Albert actually has more to offer as a sportscaster besides being Marv's son).

That's when they actually air a regular-season game. And as much as NBC used to get criticized for overkill on their NBA promotion, one would hardly know ABC has the NBA other than the Finals and maybe a handful of playoff games.

If FOX did get the NBA, I would think they could see if Kenny Albert would call the games (unlike a certain broadcaster who shall remain nameless, Albert actually has more to offer as a sportscaster besides being Marv's son).

I think what made NBC's coverage of the NBA so great is the production value it had along with the frequency of their coverage after the NFL season ended, and also they featured a different set of teams and matchups every week. I remember they broadcasted on both Saturday and Sunday with one of those days having a doubleheader. For example, it would go Saturday a matchup between the Magic with Shaq and Penny against Ewing and the Knicks, then Sunday a doubleheader with the first game being Pacers against the Bulls and then the last game would be Jazz/Rockets or Suns/Spurs. CBS did the same thing before NBC took over but like I said the production value was where it was at and let's not forget NBC created NBA Inside Stuff for Saturday after the teen shows were over which for teenagers like myself would get me pumped for the games coming up. This is something Fox tries with the "revamped" This Week In Baseball and it's a good effort but not like NBC did with NBA: IS.

I think Fox should take a stab at the NBA but they need to do like they did with the NFL and take lessons from CBS's coverage and even NBC's coverage and make it just a step higher in quality. Don't do the gimmicks like they have done with the NHL (Glowing Puck) and NASCAR (Digger). Get Kenny Albert as the number one guy or pull a ballsy move and snag Gus Johnson from CBS.

Archived