WLS's 9am Time Slot...

ctmajka

So. It seems that WLS will be producing its own morning show to fill the 9am time slot once Oprah's show is ended.

http://blogs.vocalo.org/feder/2010/07/abc-7-to-replace-%e2%80%98oprah%e2%80%99-with-live-local-morning-show/30508

I dunno how to feel about this. It seems...so...Eh. I feel somewhat iffy about this idea. Thoughts?

It seems most of the other ABC O&Os air Oprah at 4pm, and they seem to be going the route of replacing her with local news. Seeing as WLS already has news at 4pm, and that Oprah is on at 9am, it seems most logical to replace her with what most other ABC O&Os (as well non-O&O ABC affiliates) air at 9am, which is Live with Regis and Kelly.

But if they go on with this plan of having a local show at 9am, how about calling it Good Morning Chicago.

Well, didn't Oprah start out on a local show on WLS?

But ctmajka, I can see where you feel iffy about it. I read that article, and the GM sounds like she's just making up the show as she goes along.

It seems most logical to replace her with what most other ABC O&Os (as well non-O&O ABC affiliates) air at 9am, which is Live with Regis and Kelly.

Well WGN has that and it appears they don't want to give it up...

Local morning shows are cheap and easy to produce. Especially if it becomes one of the shows that's nothing but an outlet for local businesses to display their products. Something tells me this is going to be one of those shows.

This is probably going to be a nightmare. I realize they have a while to work it out, but the fact that ABC OK'd the idea by looking at 3 minutes of (most likely) Hothaus produced live-action shots of Chicago slapped together in a montage with the title "Morning Rush" makes me loose faith in how networks allow their stations to air shows. It would be fine of ABC OK'd the show after listening to the format, analyzing the content, etc., but it just seems like WLS made a bold move proposing something like this while there was very little decided about it.

On the other hand, WLS is one of their strongest O&Os, I'm sure th networks line of thinking is "What could go wrong? It's WLS!"

We'll see.

So the network has final say on everything that airs on the station?

I thought they pretty much only cared whether the network's schedule was in-pattern or not.

They're an O&O, so they have to report to ABC for everything, as they're the owners. Generally speaking, the owners want to know what's going on at a property they own... If WLS was owned by, say, Hearst, then the article would mention how Barr had to give a presentation to Hearst executives first.

I could understand that, I just didn't think the suits at the network/corporate particularly cared about when local programming was scheduled, as long as it didn't interfere with the network schedule. I'm less knowledgeable about the industry than others on here, though.

Speaking of ABC, KMGH used to air The View at 9AM, right after Good Morning America. A few years ago, around 2006-2007, they moved it to 10AM. I wonder if this is the slot the show is supposed to run in.

Well most ABC OnO's air Oprah at 4, WABC, KGO, WPVI and WLS. However KABC has aired the show at 3 since the beginning followed by a 3 hour block of news (EWN@4,5,6 and WNT @ 630). Given that WRC, the NBC affil, in DC added a 3pm newscast recently, I wonder if KABC will join them in that process or add a new syndicated show.

Well most ABC OnO's air Oprah at 4, WABC, KGO, WPVI and WLS. However KABC has aired the show at 3 since the beginning followed by a 3 hour block of news (EWN@4,5,6 and WNT @ 630). Given that WRC, the NBC affil, in DC added a 3pm newscast recently, I wonder if KABC will join them in that process or add a new syndicated show.

It's worth noting that WRC in DC show is not a traditional news show. Also, they later switched it to 2pm.

But back to Live with Regis and Kelly, I realize that WGN now airs it and may not want to give it up. But being that Live with Regis and Kelly is owned by Disney/ABC, I'm sure they could work out a deal in which WGN might be willing to give it up.

• 5 weeks later...

KABC will add Dr. Oz to it's lineup in Fall 2011, takling it away from KTTV (as most major market Fox stations including the O&Os currently air it). I believe KABC is the only ABC O&O/major market station picking it up.

Archived