Peter Dunn Talks News of a 4:30 AM Newscast and New Website.

kshow

Just saw this on Broadcasting Cable.

CBS is launching CBSNewYork.com in the coming weeks, which will combine its local TV and radio outlets; the latter include WFAN and WINS. The station is considering a 4:30 a.m. news, too. “We’ll see if it’s needed,” says Dunn. “If it is, we’ll do it.”
Interesting... Back to the CBSNewYork.com Name.

It's part of an overall corporate strategy, combining local media...

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/articles/2009/12/15/daily.4/

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/453684-Ezra_Kucharz_President_Of_Local_Digital_Media_CBS.php?rssid=20065

In short, those markets with CBS television and radio stations will combine their sites...

If I'm thinking right, it should look like the sites being rolled out for CBS Radio, which kind of look like this (and evidently run on a WordPress back end):

http://www.kyw1060.com/

http://www.kcbs.com/

All redirect to x.cbslocal.com. There seems to be a definite CNET influence behind the new radio sites as well.

And yes, it's part of an initiative to tie the local TV and radio stations closer together, which has been underway for awhile. I know I've heard some of the CBS newsradio stations use reports from the TV O&O. The TV station also provides weather for the radio stations (here, WPHT/Talk and WIP/Sports use CBS 3 Weather; KYW 1060 does a cutin on one of their afternoon half hours but the rest is AccuWeather).

It's in sharp contrast to what NBC did when their sites went to "NBC.com" and became less local...

If I'm thinking right, it should look like the sites being rolled out for CBS Radio, which kind of look like this (and evidently run on a WordPress back end):

And yes, it's part of an initiative to tie the local TV and radio stations closer together, which has been underway for awhile. I know I've heard some of the CBS newsradio stations use reports from the TV O&O. The TV station also provides weather for the radio stations (here, WPHT/Talk and WIP/Sports use CBS 3 Weather; KYW 1060 does a cutin on one of their afternoon half hours but the rest is AccuWeather).

I'm not sure how the new sites will look. I'm sure it will be some combination of the existing television and radio templates.

The tie-ins, as noted in the article, are not one-size-fits all. In Boston, WBZ-TV adopted the AccuWeather branding that WBZ-AM has used for 25+ years. The sports reports are now branded WBZ Sports Hub, which is WBZ-FM's brand. Using radio reporters on television; and vice-versa has been done for at least 15 years; it began when the two newsrooms were combined in the early to mid-90s.

Looks like CBS 2 is now implementing the site as CBSNEWYORK.COM instead of WCBSTV.COM. The url under the bug now says cbsnewyork.com. The only thing is that its the same site with no changes as of now. Maybe some changes will take place later today.

The last time the WCBS website was CBSNewYork.com was in 2002 (correct me if I'm wrong).

I think I like CBSNewYork.com better anyway.

Looks VERY similar to the NBCNewYork.com

It does... the only thing is that I think CBSNewYork.com will be what NBCNewYork.com should have been... The beta site still has a lot of glitches though...

All of CBS' NYC news properties now redirect to CBSNewYork.com. Interesting change, this. Especially since their newsradio twins are traditionally kept somewhat separate from each other, and have much different styles of news presentation. (WINS is more of a radio equivalent of WPVI Action News, WCBS is a radio version of WABC Eyewitness News...)

Also looks like they got rid of live streaming links on the site for now. The video player is much improved.

All of CBS' NYC news properties now redirect to CBSNewYork.com. Interesting change, this. Especially since their newsradio twins are traditionally kept somewhat separate from each other, and have much different styles of news presentation. (WINS is more of a radio equivalent of WPVI Action News, WCBS is a radio version of WABC Eyewitness News...)

Also looks like they got rid of live streaming links on the site for now. The video player is much improved.

The live stream link is on the side. Also, im going to co-sign with that comment about the video quality. It's pretty bad, hopefully they will improve. Other WorldNews video streams aren't that bad. (check out http://www.cbs8.com)

Watching the video clips on newyork.cbslocal.com is like going back in time before DTV.

The source for the clips looks like an analog recording with some of the clips having wavy lines of video interference.

Audio is also not high quality.

Archived