Live Doppeler 7000

lkwdcj562

Once again Channel 7 Eyewitenss News has gone overboard. The station has again updated it's doppler radar system called

"LIVE MEGA DOPPLER 7000 HD" ???

I am used to Eyewitness News gimmicks but this is ridiculous. But, hey this is LA what do you expect straight forward news from ABC 7 News in Chicago or ABC 7 News in San Francisco the sister stations. ::D

"LIVE MEGA DOPPLER 7000 HD" That's funny with the MEGA.

Here in NY WCBS they used to have "Doppler 2 Million", now they just call it "Live Doppler" which sounds more professional.

ABC 7 ROCKS YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH....electronic guitar playing the background!

If this were KGO, they would call it Live Hyphy Doppler 7000 Plus ;D

Hyphy is retarded! and I mean that negatively.

Guest localcelebrity2u

"LIVE MEGA DOPPLER 7000 HD" That's funny with the MEGA.

Here in NY WCBS they used to have "Doppler 2 Million", now they just call it "Live Doppler" which sounds more professional.

ABC 7 ROCKS YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH....electronic guitar playing the background!

If this were KGO, they would call it Live Hyphy Doppler 7000 Plus ;D

Hyphy is retarded! and I mean that negatively.

LOL that's cute

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the video on their Web site a few nights ago. By the tone of their voices, you would think the radar could detect aliens. ;D

How overboard can you go over a radar that you'll likely use maybe two months out of the year?

How overboard can you go over a radar that you'll likely use maybe two months out of the year?

It's Southern California. You always go a little farther overboard than the last person who ventured out there.

I dont know why but ABC 7 uses the radar when it is sunny 8) and there is no rain in sight. They really go overboard. Give it a few years, when they upgrade to the next best radar out there it will not be Live Doppler 7000+ it will be LIVE DOPPLER 7 BILLION ++

I dont know why but ABC 7 uses the radar when it is sunny 8) and there is no rain in sight. They really go overboard. Give it a few years, when they upgrade to the next best radar out there it will not be Live Doppler 7000+ it will be LIVE DOPPLER 7 BILLION ++

Well Southern California weather is not as great as it once was...Last year was the hottest year in recent history. In fact Woodland Hills (in the San Fernando Valley) set a record of 119 on June 14(?). Nonetheless, We didn't get as much rain this year....This makes me wonder....Is Al Gore (or all the naysayers) right?

• 3 months later...

I wouldn't doubt that. ;D They will most likely next May get a second HD helicopter (AIR7HD+?). Los Angeles ENG helicopters are my specialty.

Here in Indiana WISH uses their radar when it's sunny. It usually sounds like "Forecast 8 Live Doppler Radar is all clear this this afternoon" or "Forecast 8 Vipir is clear, here across Central Indiana." So i would say it's not that uncommon to use a radar when it's sunny.

I was just looking at WHO

's website checking out the whole MEGA Doppler thing, and found this

"Iowa's most powerful television radar is patroling the skies over Iowa. First Alert Mega Doppler, with one million watts, is the most powerful radar available to the broadcast market. It is 142 times more powerful than our last radar and three times more powerful than KCCI's."

I sense a WTWO/WTHI ad coming on.

• 1 month later...

In WHO-TV's case anyway, they use the name "Mega Doppler" because it's a million watt radar...the prefix "mega" = million.

really, i thought it was just because KCCI has "super doppler" and they wanted to one-up them. i remember the doppler wars of '03 in des moines. it was hilarious

• 3 weeks later...

Who cares about what the doppler is named? The point of a doppler is to detect weather, and Live Mega Doppler 7000 HD delivers, and then some. They have the "HD" branding in the name. ABC 7 is, and will always be, the ratings leader in Southern California.

Who cares about what the doppler is named? The point of a doppler is to detect weather, and Live Mega Doppler 7000 HD delivers, and then some. They have the "HD" branding in the name. ABC 7 is, and will always be, the ratings leader in Southern California.

Not always. NBC 4 was the ratings leader and look what happened to them. Down to the crapper. CBS 2 of they keep the good pace and management they have, they'll beat once again ABC 7. They did it once, and they can do it again. They just need to do it in a row.

Archived