DirectTV, Raycom stations in contract dispute

tw-804

First Hearst, now Raycom.

From WWBT's website: http://www.nbc12.com/global/story.asp?s=13659842

Raycom Media, this station's parent company, is currently in good faith negotiations with DirecTV to ensure the continued availability of this television station and the popular news and entertainment programs you enjoy on DirecTV. We are hopeful of a positive outcome and will keep you informed on the progress of the negotiations. There is a possibility we could cease being carried by DirecTV on January 1 if these negotiations fail

--

We've been working to reach a fair agreement with DirecTV that would allow its subscribers to continue receiving our station's signal. Unfortunately, to date, DirecTV has not accepted our offers of resolution. Despite our best efforts to negotiate in good faith with DirecTV, our agreement with DirecTV is set to expire on December 31st.

We continue to work hard to resolve the situation as soon as possible, but we wanted to make you aware of the possibility that DirecTV subscribers may not have access to our programming beginning December 31st.

List of Raycom Stations

Don't forget Sin"crap" and Time Warner.

Which if it goes down will be Central Ohio's first cable blackout of local stations EVER!

Yes, I went "EVER" because there has been a lot of close calls that has happens before with WBNS in 1999 and Sinclair in 2006. But this will be the first one ever for Central Ohio.

Sorry to go all local info on ya'll

With Hearst also having problems with DirecTV, the problem is doubled or even quadrupled in some markets.

Cincinnati stands to lose its NBC and Fox. Louisville, Kentucky? NBC and CBS. If you live in West Palm Beach, prepare for the loss of ABC and Fox. Jackson, Mississippi viewers face a loss of NBC and ABC service.

If you live in the state of Hawai'i? It could be a loss of between 3 and 4 stations. KITV (Hearst) is sure to go. KHNL and KGMB (Raycom; yes, a duopoly engineered through very weird means) are also likely, and KFVE (MCG Capital Management; MCG Capital produces the Hawaii News Now newscasts) is also hanging off a chad depending on the way things are negotiated. The worst case scenario leaves just KHON-2 (Fox, New Vision Television) as the major commercial station available on DirecTV after January 1.

Well, it makes me wish FOX had enough sense to have kept WBRC and sold KTBC in Austin instead since its market not even in the top 40s. I've never seen Raycom a "fit" for the Birmingham DMA at all since day 1 because it's such a "small market oriented company".

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's a bit late (Sorry!). From WWBT's website homepage:

DirecTV has refused Raycom's offer to enter into a new contract that would allow continued carriage of this station through June, 2014. Raycom and DirecTV continue negotiations for carriage rights of this station on the DirecTV service.

Archived