WCBS Mobile 2

PeterK

WCBS must be REALLY happy to be the only station with this capibility at a time when the biggest story for the past few days has been the snow covered roads. Jay Dow was in it this morning driving around Queens showing some of the roads that hadn't been cleared yet before Mayor Bloomberg's deadline.

If it's what I think it is, it's more than likely a webcam and a laptop with Skype and a mobile broadband card. There's also the Slingbox method (which I believe offers a better picture) where the camera is connected to a Slingbox unit and the station connects to it.

If they got really motivated they could have hooked it up to a mast cam on a live truck, like what WDJT does for the "iCam".

Expect the other stations to follow suit very shortly.

WNBC was doing this using network's live-u unit on Monday with Peter Alexander driving around streets in Hoboken

WNBC did get a slingbox at least last year. During the blizzard in December 2009, a sling box menu appeared on screen instead of a video. lol

I haven't seen anything on this rig, but it sounds a lot like KYW's Mobile Weather Lab, which has been on the air for about a month. It did pretty well in the Christmas weekend storm. Specs: diesel, Skype w/gaming PC for speed, iPads, microwave capabilities w/o a mast, 2 dash cams - 1 passenger, 1 look-ahead. It also has a flip-out 40" monitor under the back hatch for live-shot props, in addition to the weather gauges built into it.

This is probably the new type of toy that's going to catch on.

I haven't seen anything on this rig, but it sounds a lot like KYW's Mobile Weather Lab, which has been on the air for about a month. It did pretty well in the Christmas weekend storm. Specs: diesel, Skype w/gaming PC for speed, iPads, microwave capabilities w/o a mast, 2 dash cams - 1 passenger, 1 look-ahead. It also has a flip-out 40" monitor under the back hatch for live-shot props, in addition to the weather gauges built into it.

This is probably the new type of toy that's going to catch on.

This is much better than Mobile 2.

• 2 weeks later...
This doesn't look like the inside of any "regular SUV" I've seen http://plixi.com/p/68260670

It's probably a SUV remote vehicle. Several outfitters make them. WITI has some here and I've mostly seen them used as regular old station vehicles that have the added capability of being able to go live (the old fashioned way - with a mast) if needed.

This doesn't look like the inside of any "regular SUV" I've seen http://plixi.com/p/68260670

That's not the SUV that they're using for the "Mobile2" reports. That's a live truck, for sure. IT's possible that it's an SUV, but more likely an Econoline. Certainly looks like it from the windows on the back doors.

Maybe that actually happened to be mobile unit 2. A lot of stations (most that I know of) refer to their trucks as "Mobile - #"

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived