I see Fox29 has added the rundown to their newscast

TVNewsAnalyzer

I noticed tonight for the first time they Fox29 has a rundown of the news stories posted on the right side of the screen. Similar to what ESPN does when SportsCenter is on.

Wonder if the other news station will follow

I hope to god they don't. :p

The Rundown's been in place for about a couple of months now on the 10pm only, as have the ticker and a rotating time/forecast bug on the right. When they do school closings, they now add a second ticker underneath the main one. The forecast bug and rundown aren't supposed to be visible on SD, but on Comcast's center-cut feed I see the left side of the rundown sticking out.

It's an attempt to make the screen look busier, and more like cable. They succeeded in that goal, if nothing else...

I hope to god they don't. :p

The Rundown's been in place for about a couple of months now on the 10pm only, as have the ticker and a rotating time/forecast bug on the right. When they do school closings, they now add a second ticker underneath the main one. The forecast bug and rundown aren't supposed to be visible on SD, but on Comcast's center-cut feed I see the left side of the rundown sticking out.

It's an attempt to make the screen look busier, and more like cable. They succeeded in that goal, if nothing else...

I like it because I can see ahead of time what stories I will be interested in from the headlines on the rundown.

Actually scratch the center-cut thing above:

They're doing the sensible thing now and flagging the newscasts using AFD. That means Comcast SD viewers will see the news in 4x3 letterbox, kind of like what Fox Sports does, and all of the graphical bits on the side will be visible regardless of feed.

I'd also expect some sort of tweak to the school closings format.

FOX is rolling in some new stuff to their stations.. Including a "volume control" (I don't know the actual name of this technology. I only know about it) in which the TV commercials during the newscast don't exceed the broadcast volume of the newscast.

Alot of stations get complaints from viewers that some TV commercials are too loud (especially ones with people yelling, screaming, singing, etc.). With this thing, when people are yelling, screaming, talking loud, loud music, etc. on a TV commercial, it really won't actually be any louder than the station's newscast broadcast volume. The companies making the advertisement and the commercial producers HATE this thing because advertisers purposely make their commercials loud. However, the viewers at home have taken a liking to it in the market(s) it has already been tested. Illinois actually wants to pass a law in which TV commercials don't exceed the show's volume..

I kind of wish more stations would have had this thing back during the holidays. Especially with those damn Honda "Happy Honda Days" and Hershey Kisses handbell commercials..

I believe the rundown on the side of the screen is another "Swanson team idea" in which he's "testing out" at a station or 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, this is an actual screenshot. Ladies and Gentlemen, your 4:25am news:

WTXFMoreGFX.jpg

Some explanation for this: the 5 hour, 35 minute marathon that is Good Day is essentially three separate programs. The main show, with Sheinelle Jones, Mike Jerrick, and weather from Sally Ann Mosey, runs from 7 to 10am. From 5am to 7am, it's a newscast anchored by John Anderson and Shawnette Wilson with Sue Serio handling weather. They went to 4:30 in September, then to 4:25 when nearly everyone else went to 4:30. Up until a few weeks ago, it was an extension of the 5-7 portion of Good Day. Now, however, it's turned into what I like to call Steve Keeley vs. The Newsroom Live at 4:25.

During Steve Keeley vs. The Newsroom Live at 4:25, the screen typically looks like this. Steve roams the newsroom on the top corner of the screen, while on the bottom box they run weather graphics or video relating to the story he's reporting. Sue pops up from time to time in one of the 90 weather centers they seem to have. For fun, they throw in the crash-happy rundown from the 10pm news and the bug/ticker/time setup from all of the other newscasts. The result is a visual that Headline News circa 2001 would envy.

Fox 29 - they might not have the most coverage, but they sure do have the most graphics.

tumblr_le8ir4MRj61qcrai7o1_500.png

It used to be even more cluttered (I prefer it without the rundown). They don't use any set, and weather hits are usually given from the weather desk in the newsroom. Keeley also, for the most part, tries to keep it light. The last segment is usually devoted to a youtube clip. Here's a snippet of when the featured clip was how to use a rolled-up magazine in self defense. Keeley proceeded to demonstrate his magazine skills on Mike Jerrick.

[rl]6476c1ca-1811-41fd-b20e-32b395e642f6[/rl]

However, the viewers at home have taken a liking to it in the market(s) it has already been tested. Illinois actually wants to pass a law in which TV commercials don't exceed the show's volume..

It's a already a federal law, passed by Congress and signed by Obama in December.

Archived