Three's Company for post-Oprah Newscast on WPVI

PhillyWatch

via Michael Klein at the Inky-

"Action News will go with an anchor threesome -- Brian Taff, Shirleen Allicot, and Alicia Vitarelli -- when it launches a 4 p.m. newscast this summer. Weathercaster Adam Joseph also will be part of the show."

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/the-insider/Life_after_Oprah_at_Action_News.html

Are there any other newscasts out there with its anchors stacked three-deep? Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

via Michael Klein at the Inky-

"Action News will go with an anchor threesome -- Brian Taff, Shirleen Allicot, and Alicia Vitarelli -- when it launches a 4 p.m. newscast this summer. Weathercaster Adam Joseph also will be part of the show."

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/the-insider/Life_after_Oprah_at_Action_News.html

Are there any other newscasts out there with its anchors stacked three-deep? Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

WTXF kind of had a three-person anchor format going when they had Kerri-Lee Halkett and Dawn Stensland both appearing on the 10pm news. I also remember KOVR had a three-person format.

Interesting is the word to describe it. I mean, I think it was a foregone conclusion that Taff and Allicott were getting anchor positions as soon as something opened up. Vitarelli, though, is an intriguing choice, since she's been hired essentially as the "features" reporter at 6, doing light stories. That suggests to me that they're going to go for a different tack than the straight newscasts on 3 and 10.

• 2 weeks later...
WTXF kind of had a three-person anchor format going when they had Kerri-Lee Halkett and Dawn Stensland both appearing on the 10pm news. I also remember KOVR had a three-person format.

Interesting is the word to describe it. I mean, I think it was a foregone conclusion that Taff and Allicott were getting anchor positions as soon as something opened up. Vitarelli, though, is an intriguing choice, since she's been hired essentially as the "features" reporter at 6, doing light stories. That suggests to me that they're going to go for a different tack than the straight newscasts on 3 and 10.

Maybe it will be a little lighter and local-events focused, like a cross between Action News and fyi Philly. (Just random speculation, I'm not really adding anything.)

• 1 month later...

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news%2Flocal&id=8073354

Starts May 25th with "Anchors Brian Taff, Shirleen Allicot, Alicia Vitarelli and Meteorologist Adam Joseph" and "dynamic new ways to interact and connect using Facebook and Twitter."

Also: "Action News at 4pm welcomes exciting new features unique to the hour, such as On The Red Carpet entertainment reports, Ask Action News and Facebook Flash. Familiar favorites like Saving with 6abc and The Business Report will round out the 60-minute rundown. This dedicated news team will tap into the web world with http://www.6at4.com (currently in development), a website dedicated entirely to Action News at 4pm."

Basically from the promo images so far (haven't seen a promo for it yet), it looks like Brian Taff and Shirleen Allicott will be the defacto "anchors", with Alicia being "chick at the big board" and Adam Joseph doing the weather. Home base seems to be not the usual desk, but the smaller one near the weather center (hey, they're using it for something!)

I do like how they're trying to make it "not just another hour of Action News", but it's risky because there have been so many other attempts at "not just another newscast" recently that haven't quite worked (The original format of Fox 29 News at 5, 10's constant struggle with their 4 and 5). But if anyone can pull off this, it's 6 - they've been effective with their "internet" kick of late, and... well, it's 6.

I do want to see it, though. I think Brian Taff is severely underrated, 6 puts together a great product, and this is going to be at least watchable.

KPNX for a while in the mid-late 2000s (up until 2009) had a 3-team at 5, 6, and 10: Lin Sue Cooney, Mark Curtis, and Fay Fredericks. It was often awkward, and 12 was still declining in the ratings. That ended when Fay was moved to mornings.

Do you guys think there's any chance that 6ABC/"ABC Owned Television" is planning on launching a new website sometime in the near future? 6 has been using a new logo for 6abc.com on-air since December, but it still hasn't made an appearance on the website itself, which still uses the old "6abc.com" Arial logo (not to mention it looks really crappy because the whole logo image is a GIF). Also, I saw this ad today, which looks unlike any other 6abc.com promo I've seen (but then again, I always seem to be behind the times on this stuff):

mmr-6abc-160.jpg

Well, a quick check of the header information proves that this image has been around since December of last year, so nothing new here. But I do wonder what they are going to do with 6at4.com. I really hope it won't just be a redirect to some page on abclocal.go.com/wpvi, which, by the way, is the worst idea for a URL ever.

Looks like they're starting to prep the newscasts for the 4pm, and testing out new presentation styles. Tonight on the 6 I saw Rob Jennings actually - get this - standing by a plasma screen to introduce a story. It's also not the first time I've seen them use standing anchors (Rick and Monica have been at the Big Board for some of those fluff segments on the 5pm), but the first time I've seen them do that for a regular story. Yes, I know this is old hat on every other television station in... well, not the market but also the country.

...but remember that this is the station that used giant magnetic boards for their weather presentation until 2000. So the fact that anchors are standing now is a HUGE shift for them.

Keep in mind, tho, that I kind of expect the entire 4pm to be presented in a way vastly different from anything Action News has done before or since. (I'm actually getting to the point where I'm wondering whether they'll actually use MCTYW or not... most likely yes but still)

• 4 weeks later...

As if I couldn't be more interested in the 4, they just announced where and how Adam Joseph is going to do the weather.

That's right, the honkers are coming back.

They are promoting this thing like crazy, btw. They're runing hourly IDs teasing the start date and taking to Facebook and the Twitter fiercely to advertise this thing. It's clearly a big project for them.

Speaking of big changes, 3 started running promos - finally - for their rejiggered lineup taking place the same day. Interestingly, they're using the term "Live at Five" to refer to the restored 5pm newscast. I was kind of hoping

, but whatever.

Archived