WCBS #1 at 11pm this week

wabceyewitness

CBS 2 News @ 11pm finished #1 Sunday-Thursday this week, according to tweets from anchor Kristine Johnson. A big accomplishment for the station.

I always like hearing about an "underdog" station in a big market taking the lead spot in a time slot. There's a reason people are watching -- hopefully they realize what correct balance is. Believe it or not, it has nothing to do with the station's image!

in b4 "baaawwww WABC"

CBS 2 News @ 11pm finished #1 Sunday-Thursday this week, according to tweets from anchor Kristine Johnson. A big accomplishment for the station.

Not quite.

The ONLY reason WCBS is winning in households this week (and the ONLY reason for its appearance of strength over the past few months) is because CBS primetime is so strong compared to ABC primetime. On average, WCBS loses almost 50% of its audience leading into the 11pm news. Conversely, WABC frequently doubles its audience from 10:45-11.

Fortunately for WCBS, the spread is too far apart at 10pm for WABC to overcome, but make no mistake: this has NOTHING to do with the strength of the WCBS newscast. It has nothing to do with Maurice DuBois or Chris Wragge. To the contrary, the fact that they drop off so much indicates how weak the station's news image is. Viewers actively TURN AWAY from channel 2 and TO channel 7 when the news comes on. This shows in the numbers ALMOST EVERY NIGHT.

Also, it's important to note that this "win" is in Households only, and NOT in the key demographics that actually matter to advertisers. In those key demos, WABC maintains its healthy lead.

There isn't just one reason for their recent ratings success. Most of it is probably from lead-ins, but CBS has had strong lead-ins in the past and it didn't help WCBS any then. The fact that they're keeping enough viewers to be #1 means something for a station that has had such ratings woes. They seem to have found a format and image that works well in the market. NY is a pretty conservative news market; they don't tend to like flashy things and off-the-wall formats. Whatever the reason, congrats CBS 2!

I agree with "NY News" and "mark" -- and I said it in my original post -- this is quite an accomplishment for WCBS. Although I primarily turn to WABC, I have been sampling WCBS more and more lately and have been happy with what I've seen and it appears more and more viewers feel the same.

I agree with phl on the ratings thing. 11pm news numbers are tricky for a number of reasons, most prominently that lead-in. And as noted, CBS' 10pm shows are several orders of magnitude stronger than what ABC has thrown on during that hour for the last couple of years. 2 just has to hold on to these huge audiences while 7 has to build substantially over ABC's anemic performances at 10. That 7 is able to do this - and keep things close - does speak to their longtime image as "the news leader". I honestly think that a better barometer of news station popularity is probably the ratings for the 6pm newscast, and if I'm correct that's been 7's lead since the dawn of humanity.

BUT... I don't think you can attest 2's ratings gains to just great leadins. Look at where this station was just five, ten years ago. That was when they were in the toilet with More News In Less Time, Information Network, etc. They were switching formats erratically, news teams were changing yearly, etc. They finally got a management and news team in place that instituted stability and a workable formula and things began to build. Is WCBS' news image as strong as WABC's? Of course not... but it's a hell of a lot better than it was when they were anchoring on loud yellow virtual sets.

This is a spot that many stations have held number one in at some point or another. In fact all of the big three stations have been at the number one position for the 11PM hour. The key idea is holding that spot for decades like WABC. It just goes to show that patience and diligent management and marketing strategies are key to success. WCBS has certainly been steadily improving over the years after the bloodbath of the early to mid 2000s. If they continue this trend, they could potentially be the new "number one station."

Like HulkieD said though the greatest achievement actually is the 6PM broadcast, which is the flagship broadcast of the evening. Those who watch the 6PM will likely watch again at 11PM and that is a spot that WABC has held since ratings have been kept, if another station can steal that then that would certainly mean a change of interest and that station can expect a significant increase.

I watch WCBS myself and I don't even watch any of their shows. I think a reason could be their strong advertising for their feature news during their 10 pm shows. People could be staying to watch the news broadcast for their features like manorexia, home electroshock therapy, etc. It could be just me, but I prefer the CBS weather team as well.

I watch WCBS myself and I don't even watch any of their shows. I think a reason could be their strong advertising for their feature news during their 10 pm shows. People could be staying to watch the news broadcast for their features like manorexia, home electroshock therapy, etc. It could be just me, but I prefer the CBS weather team as well.

:lol: Now that's funny. How anyone could actually prefer the WCBS weather team is pretty laughable. The two weekday people are merely presenters. The real mets are locked up on the weekends.

I'd take Bill, Lee, Chris, Janice or Nick any day of the week over Lonnie or John Elliott. Even Audrey Puente. It'd be a toss up between WCBS and WPIX, but that's just because PIX news is so awful in general.

Granted, everyone is entitled to like who they like, but as far as actual substance, if it weren't for the off-camera meteorologist/producer that they have working for Quinn and Elliott, they'd be pretty clueless.

:lol: Now that's funny. How anyone could actually prefer the WCBS weather team is pretty laughable. The two weekday people are merely presenters. The real mets are locked up on the weekends.

I'd take Bill, Lee, Chris, Janice or Nick any day of the week over Lonnie or John Elliott. Even Audrey Puente. It'd be a toss up between WCBS and WPIX, but that's just because PIX news is so awful in general.

Granted, everyone is entitled to like who they like, but as far as actual substance, if it weren't for the off-camera meteorologist/producer that they have working for Quinn and Elliott, they'd be pretty clueless.

I can't stand watching Quinn and Elliott tell the weather every night. 2 had a very good weekend meteorologist and was working freelance for a year, but management didn't want to give her a staff position. Reason? They didn't like her first name.

I can't stand watching Quinn and Elliott tell the weather every night. 2 had a very good weekend meteorologist and was working freelance for a year, but management didn't want to give her a staff position. Reason? They didn't like her first name.

Who are you talking about?

It's human nature. When you watch someone everyday, they grow on you. :bang: As for weather people, I don't need them to be professional meteorologists. They just need to at least have a clue what they're talking about and be good at presenting. For me anyway.

Archived