BIG changes coming to WISN

trev57

WISN-TV Milwaukee issued a statement saying that starting Tuesday, their newscasts will be broadcast from a temporary set while a new set with "major upgrades" is being constructed in time for the May sweeps.

Is HD news finally on the way for Milwaukee's former #1 station?:confused:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/entertainment/119615634.html

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Still on the main set this morning...

I emailed the author of the article and he said that the changes would start with the 5pm newscast. I'm guessing they still need time to finish constructing the temporary set.

It's more than likely going to be the FX Group Hearst set.

http://www.fxgroup.tv/portfolio/wtae/

http://www.fxgroup.tv/portfolio/wcvb/

http://www.fxgroup.tv/portfolio/kcra/

Something like those.

Good enough for me. At least we will finally have a station in Milwaukee that does HD news (hopefully) that actually has an HD studio.

It's also funny that there are people commenting on WISN's facebook page that they "LOVE" the new set...yes, the temporary UpFront set.

Eh, I've seen a lot of temporary sets that are much worse. The instances when they have the weather and sports standing next to the anchor desk are extremely awkward, however.

And yeah, the lighting for the chroma wall is pretty bad as well - lot of glare coming off of Mark Baden's face. :confused:

Good enough for me. At least we will finally have a station in Milwaukee that does HD news (hopefully) that actually has an HD studio.

It's also funny that there are people commenting on WISN's facebook page that they "LOVE" the new set...yes, the temporary UpFront set.

Where on their Facebook Page?

:confused: I'm pretty sure that WTMJ's studio was designed with HD in mind.. and WITI's Studio B was almost certainly built for HD. (Yeah, WITI's studio A renovation was a budget saving mess, and in no way HD ready.)

Where on their Facebook Page?

If you go to their wall and click on "Most Recent", it's in there somewhere.

:confused: I'm pretty sure that WTMJ's studio was designed with HD in mind.. and WITI's Studio B was almost certainly built for HD. (Yeah, WITI's studio A renovation was a budget saving mess, and in no way HD ready.)

What I meant was that when you think of "state of the art HD studio", you don't think of WTMJ or WITI. Yes, both look good in HD, but they are not full HD sets. You don't see much HD equipment other than a 60" plasma (in the case of WITI). But thats just my opinion.

What I meant was that when you think of "state of the art HD studio", you don't think of WTMJ or WITI. Yes, both look good in HD, but they are not full HD sets. You don't see much HD equipment other than a 60" plasma (in the case of WITI). But thats just my opinion.

If I recall correctly, WITI's "Newscenter" set in Studio A is in fact designed for 16:9. It's just not very good looking in HD.

If I recall correctly, WITI's "Newscenter" set in Studio A is in fact designed for 16:9. It's just not very good looking in HD.

Sorry if I'm not making this clear. Yes, I understand that TMJ's studio and WITI's studios may have been designed with 16:9 in mind. BUT, when you think "state-of-the-art HD studios", you don't think WTMJ or WITI. IMO

Interesting that they take so much care to strike the set. Is there a market for a used set, or do they just store the pieces in case they need to use parts of it again elsewhere at WISN?

Often they are donated to schools/universities.

Interesting that they take so much care to strike the set. Is there a market for a used set, or do they just store the pieces in case they need to use parts of it again elsewhere at WISN?

Used sets usually get donated to local colleges or very rarely shipped to another market. Though since we know WISN likes to keep parts of their old sets (the UpFront/temporary set is a bunch of old set pieces) I wouldn't be surprised to see parts appear on any future small sets they build.

As you can see in one of those photos, paperwork/instructions from FX Group..

And on top of that, someone at WISN confirmed to me that FX Group is designing the new set, for what it's worth.

And on top of that, someone at WISN confirmed to me that FX Group is designing the new set, for what it's worth.

Meh.. FX Group sets belong in garbage dumpsters. However, that's my opinion. Is WISN using union people to construct their new set or are they just using FX people or even just their own in-house people/hires?

Meh.. FX Group sets belong in garbage dumpsters. However, that's my opinion. Is WISN using union people to construct their new set or are they just using FX people or even just their own in-house people/hires?

I don't really agree. I think the Hearst HD sets that Weeters posted earlier look very nice. However, that's my opinion. :)

Archived