BIG changes coming to WISN

trev57

Depends on how unionized the market is. In Philly if you hire a contractor the unions don't like, you get people handing out flyers saying "THIS COMPANY IS KILLING THE CITY" or somesuch like that.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Depends on how unionized the market is. In Philly if you hire a contractor the unions don't like, you get people handing out flyers saying "THIS COMPANY IS KILLING THE CITY" or somesuch like that.

I'm just trying to figure out how unionized Milwaukee is being so close to Chicago which is the most unionized of all the markets..

It goes way beyond just handing out flyers around here. You wouldn't even get a permit or city approval for whatever if you don't use union in Chicago. The city could pretty much shut the station down for not using union. Every TV/news set built (or had remodel work done to) in Chicago uses Chicago Scenic for all their construction work because they are union to "Chicago standards".. Most of the people who do the construction work for the set design companies from around the country (FX Group, BDI, etc.) aren't union so they aren't allowed to construct the news sets themselves here. Most of the news sets shipped in here to Chicago to be assembled even had to have additional structure and other things added to them by Chicago Scenic that the set design companies normally don't put/add to their sets because they don't meet "Chicago standards".. Even back when WBBM first moved to their building and was rotating their anchor desk everyday, they had to use union laborers to turn that anchor desk around everyday which did cost the station ALOT of money. They had to stop rotating the desk everyday to cut that cost.

Meh.. FX Group sets belong in garbage dumpsters. However, that's my opinion. Is WISN using union people to construct their new set or are they just using FX people or even just their own in-house people/hires?

From what I was told, it sounds like they're using (or will be using) FX group people.

Though since we know WISN likes to keep parts of their old sets (the UpFront/temporary set is a bunch of old set pieces) I wouldn't be surprised to see parts appear on any future small sets they build.

Heck, I see stuff from the old set on this set (the same Hoan backdrop, the same signs for the weather area...)

Heck, I see stuff from the old set on this set (the same Hoan backdrop, the same signs for the weather area...)

I'm assuming you're referring to these pictures they posted today. I'm sure that when these pictures were taken that they hadn't yet finished taking down the old set.

[ATTACH]1032[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1033[/ATTACH]

393102531_wisnnewset.jpg.e21e9cce7d8a9f1755501f7210f4d02c.jpg

1266979563_wisnnewset2.jpg.fe1efa619d51458cd3128d394573bc50.jpg

I'm assuming you're referring to these pictures they posted today. I'm really hoping that when these pictures were taken that they hadn't yet finished taking down the old set.

Of course! All the pictures from inside the studio still show the old set being struck. Looks like Friday they finished up striking the weather center; today they finished up striking the anchor desk and main backdrop.

The new set hasn't even been unpacked, at least as far as the pictures show.

Looks like the anchor desk is definitely going to be similar to the WTAE and WCVB desks, with three horizontal sections. The difference seems to be that WISN's will have a center translucent/backlit section instead of it being at the top in the other two examples:

attachment.php?attachmentid=1034&stc=1&d=1303192923

207606_10150535448855284_27357795283_17553119_1399507_n.jpg.bbf66379461810e537433cf9ad20bd64.jpg

I think WISN just let it slip who's replacing Oprah. During The View today they had a promo for an Oprah finale party they're sponsoring and near the end of the ad it said that partygoers could win tickets to see a taping of Ellen, which last I checked was still on WDJT. I kinda had a feeling WISN wouldn't go into the 4pm news market (for the most part, the Hearst affiliates that carry Oprah aren't replacing it with news).

@Loadstar...

Yes, I was just trying to explain why whammypower might have thought that some of the old stuff was going to be used on the new set. They just hadn't finished taking everything down.

I think WISN just let it slip who's replacing Oprah. During The View today they had a promo for an Oprah finale party they're sponsoring and near the end of the ad it said that partygoers could win tickets to see a taping of Ellen, which last I checked was still on WDJT. I kinda had a feeling WISN wouldn't go into the 4pm news market (for the most part, the Hearst affiliates that carry Oprah aren't replacing it with news).

Not 100% sure about that one... As far as I know, WDJT is keeping Ellen.

The Doctors is supposedly going to WISN. That may have changed now and they will be getting both shows?

Not 100% sure about that one... As far as I know, WDJT is keeping Ellen.

The Doctors is supposedly going to WISN. That may have changed now and they will be getting both shows?

The only way I could see them getting both shows is if they're dropping Dr. Phil too. Hmmm...

Here's the link, by the way

http://www.wisn.com/sponsors/27462187/detail.html

Today's pictures show the main backdrop structure is still in tact, and so is the old interview area.

:|

Yep. Definitely not cool. This will be a huge disappointment if those two features remain on the "new" set.

Toya Washington and Kathy Mykleby just said at the end of the 6pm news that they would be on the new set in one week. They also showed some footage of the progress being made on the new set. To put to rest all of our doubts, all elements of the old set were gone.

From what I could tell, it will look a lot like WTAE's set.

So expect to see the new set in action next Wednesday. (And hopefully HD news too)

The impression I get from some of the rather abstract photos is that they're taking some inspiration from the 12 logo.

Who honestly thought they would keep parts of the old set?!?!

Are you guys kidding me?

WISN Meteorologist Sally Severson, in a package broadcast during the 10:30 portion of the news, says "We are refurbishing elements of our old set, and including it with the new things."

*shrug*

The impression I get from some of the rather abstract photos is that they're taking some inspiration from the 12 logo.

WISN Meteorologist Sally Severson, in a package broadcast during the 10:30 portion of the news, says "We are refurbishing elements of our old set, and including it with the new things."

*shrug*

When was that?? The first night of the Temp Set?

New Photos up today and a little bird told me end of next week for the new set

Who honestly thought they would keep parts of the old set?!?!

Are you guys kidding me?

Well the last time this market saw a big event involving sets, we got a great morning news set and a few new duratrans, a new desk, and new LED rope lights. :puke:

Let me guess.. They're salvaging the fake bricks. What's the deal with Milwaukee and having fake bricks on their news sets?

It's a fact: Nothing looks better in HD than fake bricks.

Let me guess.. They're salvaging the fake bricks. What's the deal with Milwaukee and having fake bricks on their news sets?

Nope. The new pics uploaded yesterday show no bricks. Thank God.

Archived