Tuesday, Good Day Chicago Gets Hash Marks

essentials

The Blue Man Group was just on GDC, went wandering around the studio, and ended up sitting at the desk. They were playing with papers, messing with the laptops, and spinning on the chairs. Corey McPherrin said that they'd be a more entertaining news team...

Tell me about it!

The Blue Man Group was just on GDC, went wandering around the studio, and ended up sitting at the desk. They were playing with papers, messing with the laptops, and spinning on the chairs. Corey McPherrin said that they'd be a more entertaining news team...

Tell me about it!

That is a burn to a lot

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the 4:30am portion of GDC for the first time today, and I have to say, I enjoyed it more than anything else that Fox Chicago's news department is putting out these days.

While Kori was interviewing the executive producer of the show, I happened to see that one of monitors at someone's work station behind him was tuned to ABC 7. Guess someone's trying to keep an eye on #1. ;)

I watched the 4:30am portion of GDC for the first time today, and I have to say, I enjoyed it more than anything else that Fox Chicago's news department is putting out these days.

While Kori was interviewing the executive producer of the show, I happened to see that one of monitors at someone's work station behind him was tuned to ABC 7. Guess someone's trying to keep an eye on #1. ;)

....why was Kori interviewing the executive producer of the show? Are they THAT low on guests (or are they doing a "ramble around the newsroom" format like WTXF?)

....why was Kori interviewing the executive producer of the show? Are they THAT low on guests (or are they doing a "ramble around the newsroom" format like WTXF?)

I think it was more of a ramble around the newsroom/studio thing. Maybe doing some ass kissing too. The 4:30AM half hour is the best part of the whole show and usually has the best guests on it.

As for the ABC7 monitor, I think they actually watch that to get the news for their news..

Yeah, the 4:30 AM half hour is done mostly with a handheld camera with Kori standing up in the newsroom. It was kind of an off-the-cuff talk with the executive producer about the royal wedding; Kori was asking him about how they're going to cover it tomorrow morning. The EP basically said that they'll run Fox's network coverage at 4 AM, then once the local coverage starts at 4:30, they'll mainly cover local stuff and try to minimize coverage of the royal wedding. It seems to me they're trying to capitalize on the other networks' obsession with the wedding by trying to avoid it as much as possible. I don't know how much WGN is going to obsess over it, but I saw that WBBM, WMAQ, and WLS will all have national network coverage all morning - no local news. Maybe WFLD feels like they'll actually be able to pull some ratings for a change tomorrow if no one else is focusing on local news.

...but I saw that WBBM, WMAQ, and WLS will all have national network coverage all morning - no local news.

Actually, NBC5 is airing a full broadcast (4:30-7) on Channel 5.2 Chicago Nonstop.

Saw this tonight checking to see if FOX was feeding a special report for their affiliates (WITI insisted on staying local)...

[ATTACH]951.IPB[/ATTACH]

*sigh*

WFLD had next to no staff in tonight to stay local during the whole thing.. I'm sure everyone was out the door at 10PM too. They had ALOT of problems just switching over to the network feed. Their problems tonight were very unacceptable for a top market station. Test pattern for minutes at a time, feed switched on but constantly going black for more minutes at a time, constant switching back and forth from letterbox to full screen, fuzzy picture quality.. Tonight was just loaded up with problems. I just couldn't see anyone staying to watch WFLD with all these problems. If I was at corporate level, I'd be on the phone raising hell to management already. The only part that really went all the way through with no issues was the president's address itself.

Archived