Best and worst newscasts in your market...

bmasters1

No 1. (Barely): WWL. Although Bud Brown and Belo are still trying their darndest to turn Channel 4 into KHOU/WFAA East (they flipped sports and weather and everyone is talking much faster during all newscasts except mornings - Karen Swensen sounds awful doing so), they still have their long-time talent and those segments folks love (Naturally N'Awlins, The Fishin' Game). Plus, they still spend more than a 1:30 on a story if needed, even if it means not a lot of stories featured on a particular night. However, some of the reporters they have aren't as sharp as those they had in the past. Channel 4 needs to step their game up and get back to kicking butt like they did up until a while after Katrina...because these guys are hot on their heels:

No. 1A: WVUE. Ever since Channel 8 stole John Snell from WWL, their newscasts steadily went up and they are no longer the laughing stock of New Orleans. Dumping Margaret Dubuisson (sp?) for Nancy Parker was an ever better move. Now that they have stolen some more folks from WWL, gotten some local columnists and have gone back to local ownership from cheap-ass Emmis Communications, these folks are really giving WWL a run for its money (kicking butt a 9 and are steadily increasing viewers at all other times. If WWL isn't careful, there will be a new No. 1 in The Crescent City.

And I guess WVUE's ratings have been rising thanks to "that Idol show".

But when they were an ABC affiliate (especially in the '70s when the network itself ruled the ratings), they were in a dead solid third behind WWL and WDSU. My, how times have changed.

BEST/WORST in Miami-Ft. Lauderdale

BEST:

WPLG Although I would say their graphics and for the style of the market the music never seems to go out of style, WPLG is really a true station that has great journalistic integrity. It certainly shows in who they have at the station. Granted, they don't bring forth a lot of if it bleeds, it leads mindship, this station is really one of the best in the country.

WORST:

WSVN Ok, Ok, and Ok on this one. There is a reason I dislike them. Frankly, their coverage albeit, some of the best, is consistently if it bleeds, it leads. There national stories seem sorta out of date and half of the newscast is fluff.

• 4 weeks later...

Green Bay----

Best: Tie between WBAY and WLUK. Sure, the production is lax in both cases [WLUK is an Ignite op--yes, they have the usual issues!], but the talent is good and they both do a good job covering the top stories. Weather coverage is a draw as well.

OK: WFRV. Studio production is better, news coverage is good but not to WLUK and WBAY standards [they do more community (or "fluff", if you prefer) oriented pieces--I don't mind that though]. Talent is good, but weather coverage is not to the competition's standards.

Guess that leaves WGBA as the worst, although I can't really provide further commentary [never watch them!].

Another thing I don't like about 4 is that when Geoff Hart brings up the Bloomberg segment in the morning, he says, "Good morning, Jane." Excuse me?! Jane King's not there in Greenville; she's in New York. He should just say, "Here's Jane King with the Bloomberg business report."

#firstworldproblems

Baton Rouge

Best WAFB... WVLA is getting better... I'll watch them over WBRZ

Worst In the evening WBRZ is losing there touch... In the morning WVLA needs to update there morning show

WBRZ has never been able to regain its magic since Ed Buggs and John Mahaffey left. The turnovers over the years have also hurt them.

• 1 year later...

I said last year that KTUU has the only best news in Alaska, but nowadays, it's getting kind of stodgy.

Sure, they've been #1 for over 25 years now, but some longtime viewers are turning off by their documentary-style treatment of stories. What are they, the BBC's Ten O'Clock News or ITV's News at Ten in England? But I can give you this: They are first in Alaska with color, a satellite truck, and iOS/Android apps (still no chopper), but when will they ever take the HD plunge?

BEST/WORST in Miami-Ft. Lauderdale

BEST:

WPLG Although I would say their graphics and for the style of the market the music never seems to go out of style, WPLG is really a true station that has great journalistic integrity. It certainly shows in who they have at the station. Granted, they don't bring forth a lot of if it bleeds, it leads mindship, this station is really one of the best in the country.

What about WTVJ, though they're trying their damnedest to be #1 again just like in the Ralph Renick era?

For the Detroit Market:

Best Station: WXYZ an WDIV in a tie, both have great news personaliites and news delivery. It's a battle for the #1 spot between the two stations.

Somewhat OK Station: WJBK for its highest-rated morning and 10pm news, but unfortanately they are still in 3rd place for the longest time.

Worst Station WWJ Although they have a morning show, in which WWJ-AM is now the news partner, they still lack a news department.

WDIV is better for its evening news talent, but WXYZ has a way better set than WDIV. WJBK leads the morning by far because of the stories they air and the familiar talent (Allen Lee, Al Allen etc...) They also do a way better job with investigative reports than WXYZ and WDIV. WWJ and WKBD is at least trying with their morning show which I hear is making the station considerable money, but their set is way too out of date with such a large market like Detroit, the show looks as if it belongs to a station in Northern Michigan.

• 3 weeks later...

New York best: WABC Ch7. The best anchors in town and most accurate. The personalities are well known and relatable.

NY worse: hands down PIX11

Houston best: KTRK Ch13 hands down the best. Best personalities, most respected, most accurate. Just the best!

Houston worse: KPRC is terrible. A new anchor is introduced every two or three months. The anchors questions to the field reporters are even scripted. Just a huge mess.

Houston best: KTRK Ch13 hands down the best. Best personalities, most respected, most accurate. Just the best!

Houston worse: KPRC is terrible. A new anchor is introduced every two or three months. The anchors questions to the field reporters are even scripted. Just a huge mess.

Hmmm... Gone are the good days of Channel 2.

But for worst, how could you not mention the abomination on 39/KIAH. "NewsFix"??? Does it even register in the Nielsens???

Hmmm... Gone are the good days of Channel 2.

But for worst, how could you not mention the abomination on 39/KIAH. "NewsFix"??? Does it even register in the Nielsens???

To be honest I completely forgot about Ch39 lol. I guess I wouldn't include them as the worse because some people actually find their newscast to their liking. In fact "NewsFix" has done good in certain demos during their 5 o'clock newscast.

Yes indeed gone are the good days of Ch2 with Ron Stone and one of my favorites Linda Lorelle. The reporters are mostly in their 20s. The station suffered a huge blunder last year I believe when they broke news on a huge story of several bodies being buried in someone's yard, that eventually turned out to be a hoax. Channel 2's credibility was hurt even further than before. Sad to see.

• 2 years later...

Erie, PA

Best- Nexstar Broadcasting Station WJET. They have the best graphics and music. (News Matrix by Stephen Arnold) Not a fan of one of their evening anchors though, Jill McCormick. She reminds me of Michelle Wright, morning news anchor at WTAE. Jill would be good for mornings. The other evening anchor, Sean Lafferty, he is my favorite in the Erie TV Market.

Worst- By far Lilly Broadcasting station WSEE. Graphics are boring, music was made in the 90's. (This is Your News by Gari) Studio is cheap and boring. Anchor team is just plain puke. Not good at ALL.

Their sister station, Erie's NBC WICU, I can tolerate though. They're not that bad.

Pittsburgh, PA

Best- By far WTAE. They have really good news coverage, and a newscast setup that I really like. Best graphics, music, everything. They are lucky they are owned by Hearst so they are able to be creative with their graphics and music and sound really good. They got a lot better and jumped in the ratings book when they rebranded to Pittsburgh's Action News 4 in March and changed up their newscasts. Wendy Bell is awesome. She is by far my favorite anchor in the Steel City. WTAE is where I want to work one day. I just LOVE them.

Worst- WPXI. They are good, but they are just not my favorite.

I like all Pittsburgh stations. They are all good.

Archived