WGN

Jess

So for the first time ever I get WGN America, and the WGN News at Nine. Must say, I'm kind of impressed. Very low-frills newscast not infected with the stupidity that a lot of Trib's stations have suffered lately, great music package, and what has to be the most in-depth weather report I've ever seen on any newscast. The graphics... they're kind of meh. I'm not a fan of the predominant blue and some of the CG looks chunky, but I guess it's passable. Overall, though, I do like.

This must be one of the reasons why WFLD has such a hard time, right? (Aside from apparently being run horribly?) They're up against a very well-produced news operation.

This must be one of the reasons why WFLD has such a hard time, right? (Aside from apparently being run horribly?) They're up against a very well-produced news operation.

Yes, I would even say it's the main reason.. Even after high rated FOX primetime programming, people are actually changing their channel from FOX to WGN for the news. WFLD shows a major decline in ratings at 9PM and WGN shows a major jump in ratings at 9PM. It really wasn't too long ago when FOX Chicago's 9PM newscast was alot more comparable to WGN's 9PM. The difference between the 2 news operations now are night and day. It's sad. Also sad, WFLD's news director came from WGN (before WBBM). She was at WGN when they were already at the top of their game. You'd think she'd be able to bring the game from WGN to the 2 following stations.. NOPE. It's really too bad they don't show the morning news on WGN America. Compare that to WFLD's Good Day Chicago (I think you might actually be able to watch Good Day Chicago on the "Live Video" page of the Good Day Chicago Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/GoodDayChicago) and you'd just scratch your head thinking WTF is wrong with WFLD management?!? I believe they show the noon newscast on WGNA but do they also show the 11AM or 5PM newscasts on WGNA too? I don't remember..

Tom Skilling's weather has been losing popularity the past few years. In the recent years, people have been wanting/requesting for a more of a down to the point and straight forward weather. And there have been requests to just stick to the main Chicago area. Most Chicago viewers really don't care about the rest of the country for the most part but he does it to appease the WGN America viewers. I heard management has told Tom to tone his weather down a bit a couple years back but I don't think he has listened. I got a feeling they're just letting him be because I think he's somewhat getting close to retirement. But his weather forecast is also a good thing. It's different than the other stations in town and if you're wanting a detailed science class forecast, there you go.

As for WGN's graphics, they are chunky for sure. The current blue graphics are in-house modifications of the graphics they got a couple years ago; however, I do like them better than how the graphics originally looked. They are just more clear. I know there were TVs that had problems with "flickering" and such with how the graphics originally looked like because there were too many fine elements in them. They were supposed to get a completely new graphics package late last year with a completely different color scheme but they scrapped the idea and just decided on modifications of the graphics they currently had.

lazynetjunkie, do you think at some point that the WGN morning news will eventually be on WGN America or is it still not exempt from SYNDEX? With its popularity rising through clips on Youtube, I thought perhaps someone at WGN or Tribune rather would take that opportunity to air it nationwide for others to see? I mean it's not a syndication show, it's a popular local morning news program, right?

Besides other syndication shows that air on WGNA,(How I met your mother,New Adventures of old christine,etc.)do you think based on the daily/weekend schedule on WGN chicago that at least one or two shows might pass through SYNDEX and air on WGNA, perhaps to further mirror the schedule of WGN?

lazynetjunkie, do you think at some point that the WGN morning news will eventually be on WGN America or is it still not exempt from SYNDEX? With its popularity rising through clips on Youtube, I thought perhaps someone at WGN or Tribune rather would take that opportunity to air it nationwide for others to see? I mean it's not a syndication show, it's a popular local morning news program, right?

Besides other syndication shows that air on WGNA,(How I met your mother,New Adventures of old christine,etc.)do you think based on the daily/weekend schedule on WGN chicago that at least one or two shows might pass through SYNDEX and air on WGNA, perhaps to further mirror the schedule of WGN?

I really can't think of what nationally syndicated segments/elements are left on the morning news. Tony Tantillo's Fresh Grocer went back to WBBM for good a while back and it's going to be permanent because that is a per CBS order (it is a WCBS produced segment). I typically don't watch the WGN morning news straight through so I can't think of what other syndicated segments they would have if they have any others. I'm starting to wonder if it's more something to do with Dean Richard's celebrity interviews he does from time to time on the morning news. I know some of those interviews can get very tricky being that they are being done as "exclusive to local stations/markets" and some as "not national interviews". Sometimes, they're not allowed to rebroadcast some of those interviews from what I've heard. I really don't know what is holding their management back from airing it on the WGN America.

I really don't think you'll be seeing any thing else from WGN's daytime lineup being on WGN America. There's Live with Regis and Kelly, Rachael Ray, Maury, Tyra, and Millionaire. Those are all currently produced shows (not various network primetime show reruns), except for Tyra but that will be replaced soon by a new show, so the SYNDEX is heavy on those. Plus, those shows are already in most markets so it's really nothing WGN America viewers would be missing from local stations in their own markets around the same daytime timeslots.

In Canada, most cable and satellite companies switched from WGN America to WGN-TV/CW. I usually wake up to the morning show's voicemail segment - which is, by far, the most hilarious segment on morning television. Paul Konrad's Courtesy Desk bit comes as a close second.

We also get WPIX and KTLA, so it's kind of interesting to compare what each station does in the morning.

I lived in the western burbs until a year ago when I moved to North Carolina. I receive WGN America on DirecTV and only now I've noticed them say at the beginning: "Our top stories seen around the country tonight on WGN America." Is that line aired in Chicago or do they somehow do a different news opening for WGN America? I can't imagine they would or could easily change that for local/national, but still, I'm curious :)

I lived in the western burbs until a year ago when I moved to North Carolina. I receive WGN America on DirecTV and only now I've noticed them say at the beginning: "Our top stories seen around the country tonight on WGN America." Is that line aired in Chicago or do they somehow do a different news opening for WGN America? I can't imagine they would or could easily change that for local/national, but still, I'm curious :)

That line is aired in Chicago at the beginning of the Noon and 9PM newscasts.

Yeah, last year or so they started a campaign to promote their live programming's availability on WGN America. All Cubs and Sox games as well as the few nationally available Bulls games begin with the play by play guy saying, "We welcome those of you watching all across the country on WGN America," or something to that effect.

Archived