CBS Evening News W/Scott Pelley

15connects

I love the cooled-down version of the CBS Evening News.

The 1st version of the Dan Rather theme from 1987 thru 1991: the news theme done by an orchestra; the tempo was not too fast (where it was urgent) and not to slow (where news wasn't fast-paced); the dynamic level grabbed the attention, but not to the point where it was more cable news; the headline bed is crescendo, where I was known what's to come, but not in a hurry-up manner.

I loved how CBS used James Horner to compete with John Williams' the Mission theme for NBC News with Brian Williams, but CBS did it the wrong way.

All news theme music should be like this today: instead of the electronically-produced, in-your-face style.

Scott Pelley's low-toned voice: softer and more approachable; not the high-gravitas, urgent delivery you see today, especially with FOX News with Shepard Smith (still enjoy watching the guy, so don't get me wrong).

All news anchors should not just have the calm tone of voice, but also the mellow-out-man delivery of the news.

I'm looking forward to watching the CBS Evening News again tonight!

I wish they had brought back the 1991 theme instead. I always thought it sounded more complete than the 1987 theme, and the closing music was just spectacular. Though I can see where it may have brought back bad memories of the Rather era had they chosen that instead.

The graphics still haven't grown on me, and while I like the throwback to the Kronkite globe, it makes the set look even darker and older. However, I'm getting the feeling that they aren't doing much now and will change everything later, similar to what ABC did when Dianne Sawyer took over, so I can forgive the lack of visual changes.

I don't know if this is because I'm watching online, but it seems like there's almost no use of L3s during a story, except to ID a reporter.

And I suspect that's very deliberate. They've plugged this basically as 60 Minutes lite every night, so they're going for "less is more," focusing on stories and depth.

I'd bet if they thought they could get away with it, they would put Scott in front of a plain black or blue background just to reinforce the point.

Still, this is the best evening news CBS has produced since Bob Schieffer had the chair.

-T

Overall, the broadcast is better, I'm sure the figures will attest to that. However, there are still some key changes that are yet to be implemented, I'll let you see what they are as they arrive ;) The graphics are changing though, later on in the year, and the set/newsroom is being retouched and made lighter as presently they are finding it is too dark and doesn't reflect the Pelley image (I think it fits well, but who am I to judge)

The music isn't the original recording, someone's added in some piano chords to the vamp, further to this, they have also added in a missing Oboe note that was in the master. THere has also been a fair amount of remastering.

All of this was decided some 5 weeks ago, the return to the music was certainly decided then, the decision wasn't one taken lightly, CBS had paid in the region of $500,000 for the James Horner music + royalties, but it was deemed to light and whimsical for a newscast, There's 24 tracks at their disposal in the TM Music package, vs the 67/68 in the James Horner, so they are forfeiting the diversity of their sonic brand for a stronger, more typecast tune. I always liked the James Horner music, but I'm a softie!

Overall, even if the graphics are disgusting, the programme has it's flow back, I do think Scott could be a tad more relaxed and a bit less wooden, he stumbles at times. Time will tell, but I predict he is a solid investment in the Evening News.

They've changed the opening somewhat. They've replaced the navy blue flat map projection with the brighter blue glass globe. It doesn't sound like a big difference, but it has really freshened the open up...I'm sure there are some other changes that have improved it so far.

One thing they really need to drop, and it's a very stereotypical for an American programme are the optical flares and light glints, they look so tacky, in fact, I say that to every US News outlet - drop the blue and gold light flashes, they look terrible!

I gave up on the national network newscasts four or five years ago, but if this debut is an indication of what's to come, I'll actually watch. Straight ahead news -- that's what I like. IIRC, there was a health story in the first segment, and I could have lived without that, but otherwise I liked this.

I liked Pelley's deliberate pacing, and I found his low voice soothing. I hate the breathless, urgent, high-drama delivery so prevalent today.

And even though they're still third in the ratings, CBS Evening News is still #1 for those like me who prefer straightforward news with no bullshit (unlike Brian Williams or Diane Sawyer with their pompous, wordy selves).

But I was hoping they would get Wendell Craig to do the opening spiel.

Archived