CBS Evening News W/Scott Pelley

15connects

At some point when CBS first went to their current GFX, I said on a YouTube video that those reminded me of the 1987-91 graphics.

Well, they went "back to the future" and used the 1987 theme (specifically, with the cut used for top stories prior to the actual intro that started around 1990) for Scott's first night.

It definitely feels different. It certainly feels like the CBS Evening News of old, which is good and bad.

Good: It's not trying to be something it's not (flashy, cheery, etc.), very low-key

Bad: It feels stuffy and dated, like it's back to the 90's

The GFX have been modified to a more predominantly blue color, and the CBS bug no longer does that obnoxious rotation. The set also got modified - they ditched the American flag design for a map design not unlike the ones used on the CBS sets of the 1980s. Morgan Freeman has been replaced as announcer by... someone who I can't identify right now.

And, of course, the theme. They've placed a lot of equity in that Horner composition, so I'm surprised it's been dropped... and utterly STUNNED it's been dropped in favor of a 24 year old theme. I LIKE the Trivers/Myers theme, don't get me wrong, but I was absolutely surprised they went in that direction. I'll say, it does work with those graphics, though. (Just wonder what they'll now do with the other programs, which use Horner's theme or some variant - you can't make a dance version for the Early Show!)

It all seems like they're trying to channel 1988, and I'm not sure that's the best decision...

I guess it is notable because the theme was the first musical theme for the CBS Evening News.

And we're kinda back to parity, with all the networks using themes that were first composed in the 80s.

Yeah, but while ABC and NBC are using refreshed versions of themes composed in the 80s, CBS is now using the actual theme that was composed and recorded in that decade.

I would have preferred a more dramatic update to the Horner theme, but this works OK I guess. I will miss the Horner election theme, which was IMO the best election theme on any network.

Yeah, but while ABC and NBC are using refreshed versions of themes composed in the 80s, CBS is now using the actual theme that was composed and recorded in that decade.

Yeah, but fancy musical refreshes are wasted on the old.

I like the changes and look forward to watching the "CBS Evening News" more often. I am glad they dumped the James Horner theme. It is just too soft and not distinctive enough. The broadcast seems more serious and focused.

On the other hand, I can't stand the direction "World News" has taken since the death of Peter Jennings. The broadcast is just unwatchable.

I wonder if they're just starting slow. "Let's do a low-key set, get out the old theme, just do a straight-ahead newscast, and let Scott get his bearings." In other words, the exact opposite of the Couric debacle.

I wonder if they're just starting slow. "Let's do a low-key set, get out the old theme, just do a straight-ahead newscast, and let Scott get his bearings." In other words, the exact opposite of the Couric debacle.

I'm actually convinced that's the case. It all looks really, well, "temporary" to me: slight graphic refresh, slight set tweak, new theme. I can see them doing a more comprehensive graphic relaunch down the line, perhaps with a new variant of that 1987 theme.

Here's a widescreen HD cap. I'm aware the sync gets a little off towards the end.

LOVE the backdrop!

WOW at the theme!!! Total C-B-S!

CBS got its mojo. You watch this and think, yeah, this is the CBS Evening News. Even in that first intro with Scott, you actually listen to what he's saying - the camera doesn't go straight to quarter frame, they hold the shot on Scott without flying graphics, logos, icons... I love it. If this is a sign of where CBS is at, they know what they are doing.

And man, I have missed this music!

I think they had to revert themes - in a 500-channel universe, you have to be absolutely identifiable. This theme - even now - has more power as a CBS brand than Horner's. Again, the set looks gorgeous - it screams CBS, and Pelley fits it perfectly.

I think he'll fit into the role over time, but tonight Mr. Pelley seemed scared to death.

I think that's just his "anchor look". In the b-roll CBS sent affiliates he's got the exact same stiffness and slow pacing.

Love all the changes! Also noticed they ditched Morgan Freeman as the voice over for the 60 Minutes VO. Freeman great narrator, news broadcast VO talent...not so much! I also think adding the 60 minutes VO was a great move since most people know Pelly from 60 Minutes.

Love the revert back to the old theme. I'm assuming it was updated, or one is coming if it wasn't?

I like the music better than Horner's Couric theme, certainly a more authoritative and stoic style, which I think is what they're going for here.

Also prefer not having a celebrity announcer. Every time Couric's newscast started, I thought I was going to get a recap of Andy Dufresne vs. 'the sisters' in the laundry room.

I do hope they bring back the 90s/early 2000s breaking news countdown ticker. Nothing said "look at the TV right now" quite like that did.

I gave up on the national network newscasts four or five years ago, but if this debut is an indication of what's to come, I'll actually watch. Straight ahead news -- that's what I like. IIRC, there was a health story in the first segment, and I could have lived without that, but otherwise I liked this.

I liked Pelley's deliberate pacing, and I found his low voice soothing. I hate the breathless, urgent, high-drama delivery so prevalent today.

CBS went the right direction here for once. Scott comes across as a nice, warm, friendly trustworthy/dependable guy that people can watch which is what I know they were aiming for. Just like Bob Schieffer was when he anchored the Evening News that short while in between Dan and Katie. Katie Couric came across to many viewers as "I'm pretty, I make lots of money, I'm better than you, and I have my head up my ass" so she didn't catch on with as many viewers as they wanted. I can almost guarantee if Katie Couric never came to be at CBS and Bob Schieffer wanted to remain at the CBS Evening News anchor desk, there would be very great ratings there now..

I also like the choice of announcer and the revert to the OLD music. I never really cared for the Horner music. Whoop-de-doo Horner wrote it. Most people out there don't know Horner wrote it and could care less that he did. Wasn't that great of music anyways. The new (very old) music now really fits the graphics (aligns perfectly with the open graphics) and Scott's style much better. I actually heard a while back they were considering bringing back this old music before Katie left the desk but they just never did. I would have liked to have seen a little more done with the graphics but they work for now I guess. I like the little touches made with the set. The only thing I don't like on the set is the CBS News lightbox graphic panel along the top. I think the color shades on that (especially the red) are too bright needs to be warmed down to match the new warmer colors on the set.

Archived