WDJT going HD by this fall

trev57

I decided to follow up on the story of WDJT getting a real set and found out that it is practically done and will debut within the next few weeks. But that's not news compared to what else I learned...WDJT is on schedule to go HD by September. Yes...WDJT...in HD...this year. I couldn't believe it when I heard it, but it's coming straight from 'DJT anchor Tom Durian. That means all 4 stations in Milwaukee will be in HD by year's end after starting out 2011 with only 2.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=130497417031282&set=a.120045264743164.29014.119289778152046&type=1&theater

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well now we know why WISN rushed into doing HD.

Last I heard the set was supposed to be installed when WISN got their set installed because it would save money. Guess that didn't happen...Or maybe they ran into some sort of complications???

And to make this slightly more interesting, I'm pretty sure that WDJT has a much smaller number of ENG trucks than anyone in the market. It is possible that they could beat WISN to having their newscast completely in HD - both studio and remotes.

Well now we know why WISN rushed into doing HD.

I can just see the people at WISN hearing about this and thinking "Oh boy, it really won't look good if we go HD after them". So they did it as fast as they could, even if they clearly weren't ready.

On a side note...I'm hoping HD and a new studio means new graphics for WDJT. I know they just got new in house graphics, but I'm not a big fan of them and I'm not sure they would fit HD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3H6gLepyLY

That's what happens when you put things on the internet

Since there is no context, we don't know if this is just a concept they worked on at some point, or what they intend to use for the HD broadcasts.

There's a matching video with a Stephen Arnold music package... doesn't sound very good to me. I think the current package sounds pretty good.

It definitely looks a lot better than anything they've had before. It helps to make them look more like a "grown-up" news program instead of what they have now, which frankly looks like a college project at best.

They did just upload it yesterday, so that's probably a good sign that it might be their HD package - and I can't imagine why they would choose their current graphics over this if they had made it months ago, even if it were just a concept.

They did just upload it yesterday, so that's probably a good sign that it might be their HD package - and I can't imagine why they would choose their current graphics over this if they had made it months ago, even if it were just a concept.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. My point was that it could be *one of* the designs they're looking at for the HD newscast, and not *the* design.

(Of course, we're assuming that is, in fact, their YouTube account. There is a possibility that someone else decided to mock up a graphic for them and created the youtube account. Not saying it's a GOOD possibility, just A possibility.)

That actually looks pretty good.

They also posted another version using different music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcavI5BLWMk

That's Arnold's Third Coast, which they previously used 2001-2004. Interesting.

Unfortunately, the package is really showing it's age when paired with these decent 3D graphics. I personally think this would be extremely better if they a) made the background image change after the logo reveal swoosh and b] used different music. I think Momentum News would work well, Enforcer (any version) would be another good choice too. Heart of Our City would be a great choice if they could get it...

UPDATE!!!!!

I can confirm they have or are in the process of acquiring HD field cameras. The ENG truck they had at Summerfest, however, looks like it is lucky it is broadcasting in color, let alone running at all.

UPDATE!!!!!

I can confirm they have or are in the process of acquiring HD field cameras. The ENG truck they had at Summerfest, however, looks like it is lucky it is broadcasting in color, let alone running at all.

I remember a time when 58 only had one truck... I think it was around the time of the infamous ice incident. How many do they have currently? Knowing how limited they are on budget, they can't have acquired too many.

I remember a time when 58 only had one truck... I think it was around the time of the infamous ice incident. How many do they have currently? Knowing how limited they are on budget, they can't have acquired too many.

Last I heard, they have two. The one I saw yesterday is the one they left the mast up and drove into power lines with last fall, they've just replaced the mast and the electronics inside.The other is the new one from Frontline that replaced the one that ended up in the lake.

They also have the LiveU streaming backpacks that WBND has.

Third Coast was OK, but it's got that vapid early-2000 feeling to it.

Sadly, most modern music packages are not good, and most of my favorites are custom packages from the 1990s that would also have a dated issue.

Last I heard, they have two. The one I saw yesterday is the one they left the mast up and drove into power lines with last fall, they've just replaced the mast and the electronics inside.The other is the new one from Frontline that replaced the one that ended up in the lake.

They also have the LiveU streaming backpacks that WBND has.

According to this pic, you would be right.

WDJT.jpg.920e28a9fae5d24987072700ed5724e3.jpg

It's about time! Now they look more like a "real" station.

Hopefully the new morning news section is a sign that they're trying to make that show less boring and less painful to watch. Last I saw they were still on the "Repeat the same 30 minutes of news 4 times". THAT is a great format, I tell you what. :rolleyes:

Here's a preview of the new set: My link

Change is comin'? Maybe they're cleaning house. New management.. shake things up..? Nah. Probably not.

Two words: acoustic foam.

That area doesn't work well with close ups. Would have probably looked better if they put a city skyline overlay on it to give it some variation...

New set has cold-debut on Telemundo Wisconsin as of tonight. Looks like they bought new teleprompters, too!

And there's a weather area! And TWO stand-up areas!

Sorry for the poor quality, Time Warner does not offer Telemundo on QAM so I'm forced to use analog cable to get these...

0721_H22M01_CH27.jpg.b4d30531357f240151a0d13c4f16d177.jpg

0721_H22M01_CH27_0.jpg.a19013c3b17775cd84662133eab06af4.jpg

0721_H22M07_CH27.jpg.1661eef3d2a6c38ba462808977e293d8.jpg

0721_H22M11_CH27_0.jpg.db23c1b8fd4a3d737af902ea5b58649a.jpg

0721_H22M26_CH27_0.jpg.926a4eb65775e94007c82f142ad4fefd.jpg

I also caught the new set on Telemundo tonight. I have to say...I am thoroughly impressed. I can't wait to see how it's used by CBS 58 news...when I can actually understand what they're saying.

Archived