WDJT going HD by this fall

trev57

Does the anchor (anchorito?) do the weather also or am I being racist?

Apparently no one on the CBS58 weather team speaks Spanish and Weigel is too cheap to find someone who does to be a "weather presenter".

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently no one on the CBS58 weather team speaks Spanish and Weigel is too cheap to find someone who does to be a "weather presenter".

And that weather segment lasted all of about...45 seconds. Seriously.

They need to get someone on set to clean that lexan ledge in the center part of the anchor desk. Looks like all sorts of smudges and stuff in that picture.

Edit to add: it definitely helps make them look like a much more "grown up" newscast. It still won't be my choice in news, but it definitely should help them make up some ground in the Milwaukee market.

They need to get someone on set to clean that lexan ledge in the center part of the anchor desk. Looks like all sorts of smudges and stuff in that picture.

Edit to add: it definitely helps make them look like a much more "grown up" newscast. It still won't be my choice in news, but it definitely should help them make up some ground in the Milwaukee market.

I have always liked their newscast presentation; they're probably in second behind WISN imo. This definitely helps them look less amateur and more official. I'm not sure they'll be my first choice right now, but they probably will be when they go HD.

Day and night transition for them. This looks great. It's honestly part of what they needed to become a serious player in the market. The set design isn't perfect but it's miles above what they had going for them in the newsroom. I'm also glad that the tech crew and directors were coached on camera angles so you get to see some good shots.

The graphics were rushed I'm sure but they still look fantastic. There's really something to be said for in-house graphic artists. Whoever did these pulled off a very nice, clean look that matches the set well. I look forward to seeing tonight's newscasts.

This newscast is slowly becoming legitimate. It's an exciting time for them. I hope they don't blow it.

Screencap dump 2. Had to use the digital SD channel because I'm still having problems (not that it would matter outside of the bug, which is still in HD like before)...

They're still using the sports scoreboard super from two graphic packages ago. Somebody there needs to take some initiative and swap it out with something that matches the new stuff. Also, the duratrans look really really boring during the OTS shots and remind me of the abominations WPIX put on their set. Other than that, it's an improvement over everything they've used in the past, the set is the best looking one in the market right now, and even though I'm not a fan of Third Coast, it's an improvement over their previous custom package.

Image0.jpg.cca5ab6bcce99ab9677383324ac26a95.jpg

Image2.jpg.645932ee864485bd633325fc66445746.jpg

Image3.jpg.1ed8004930a2a8abdfbf3902de49afd8.jpg

Image4.jpg.2099b178d214b414db6d408b646649dc.jpg

Image5.jpg.15e32f0800f0e6f2137abba6c2447913.jpg

Image7.jpg.d900461b639fb526c40da4d883144df8.jpg

Image8.jpg.ab8d527c0de8e1d484773bea90fa3cdd.jpg

Image9.jpg.07b529f8a9fa4ee92be85a11ddbef7dd.jpg

Image10.jpg.d1a2759ebf9a19aed160bfbffee15575.jpg

Image13.jpg.036149a6580050e5f8faecc57b4b3b13.jpg

http://www.jsonline..../126218328.html

Even more details are out today on the eventual HD switch.

Neither WDJT nor WMLW airs a 6 p.m. newscast. WMLW airs a 9 p.m. newscast, and WDJT airs one at 10 p.m. Earlier this week, WDJT and WMLW introduced a new news set, which Hall called "one part of getting ready to go HD fully."

The HD transition will take another eight to 12 weeks, he said. The new television season starts Sept. 19.

The investment in HD "is not a cheap date," said Hall, and represents "a huge investment" by Weigel in its Milwaukee stations, which are perceived as also-rans. The 10 p.m. newscast on WDJT is generally fourth-ranked, despite the often top-ranked CBS programming that precedes it.

"Corporate gives us a lot of tools to win," including "a huge investment" in syndicated programing, said Hall.

"We want to win and be competitive in the marketplace," said Hall, "and to show what we can do with what we have."

Position: Director/Technical Director

Description: CBS-58 seeks a Director/Technical Director to join our team. Responsibilities include switching and technical directing our fast-paced, graphic intensive newscasts and other live and taped locally produced programs. This position is also responsible for all news updates on CBS58, WMLW, and Telemundo Wisconsin. Candidates for this position must have experience with iNews, computer generated graphics systems and manual program switching, and must be able to learn all components of the control room to troubleshoot problems. The ideal candidate will have experience with Grass Valley Ignite and Telemetrics. Must have leadership ability, adapt quickly to change and minimum one year experience. Send resume to: CBS-58, HR-DTD, 809 S. 60th St., Milwaukee, WI 53214; fax: 414-607-8189 or e-mail: [email protected] EOE

So much for improving. Can't wait to see how many technical problems plague the newscasts.

It can't be that bad can it?

Depends. Some stations you can't notice, others things can break to the point they have to cancel a newscast. Generally I've seen automation problems fall into two categories: Rare technical malfunction and operator/programming (by the producer) error. Training the staff on how to use the new system is vital, but knowing WDJT I wouldn't be shocked to see the outcome of all this end up with wrong graphics, randomly cued stories, robotic camera malfunctions, and all that fun stuff.on a regular basis.

• 1 month later...

The "CBS 58 News at Noon" debuted today. It's a half hour newscast anchored by the morning team of Tom Durian and Jennifer Tomazic. Most of it was done at the two stand up areas away from the anchor desk (three including the weather center).

So much for improving. Can't wait to see how many technical problems plague the newscasts.

On the bright side, the directing operations are still being done in the building, as opposed to across the country, which is becoming more common.

OTOH, it is an Ignite system (God help us all).

• 1 month later...

If I could, I would change the title of this thread to WDJT going HD by this fall 2012? It appears that the original timeline of 6-8 weeks from their GM was just a tad bit off. But what did we expect, it is WDJT.

• 1 month later...

Archived