Rant: WPIX's Greg Mocker and the MTA

Weeters

Okay, I was curious about how WPIX was doing the evening news since there's now an actual desk in the newsroom. While I was looking for videos, I found this.

A year ago, when they switched to this format, I watched WPIX pretty much every night for about a week and a half. And it seemed to me, during about half of the shows Greg Mocker was either finding something wrong with a subway station or talking about how the MTA was wasting money.

Fast forward to tonight, I find the above video, and, lo and behold, they have dedicated numerous segments to misspelled signs. Misspelled signs. Misspelled. Signs. In case I haven't gotten this across yet: They are dedicating air time to finding misspelled signs. I don't know about New York City, but here in Market 34, we have better things to worry about than a misspelled sign.

To top it off, these signs cost hundreds of dollars to replace, which seems to be contrary to what he usually does in his segments: call out the MTA for wasting money. Is the sign embarrasing? Yes. Is it worth the trouble to shoot and edit a news package that ultimately leads to spending hundreds of dollars to fix a sign with an extra letter in a street name? Hardly. Wait for it to get vandalized. At least then replacement is absolutely required.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there are people who tune in every night to see Greg Mocker's MTA Report. I've never been to or lived in New York, so maybe New Yorkers take their subway more seriously than I do. But to me? This isn't news. This is far from news. This isn't something that should be anywhere in a newscast other than maybe a short mention after commercials towards the end of the show or even the kicker (Before we go, a viewer sent us this photo! Wow, something's spelled wrong! How wacky! The morning news starts at 5AM. PIX11.com blah blah blah).

Why hasn't Tribune just canned this entire news operation? It's sad to watch.

:rant:

I'm not a fan of Mocker's work...it seems to just be baseless populist fury. Yes, the MTA could be more efficient (especially if it had more funding), but Mocker's self-deluded "watchdog" additude is simply painful to watch. He isn't solving problems, he's just bothering innocent employees, whining about how bike lanes disrupt auto traffic (This is New York. Cars are irrelevant.), and blabbing on about how wasteful the MTA really is. He's a hack, and so is everyone else on WPIX's "news" operation.

That is what PIX does now. In a segment called PIX Fix they have Monica Morales reporting on pot holes that need to be fixed and other related problems.

None of these problems seem to exist in NJ as they almost never do reports from there.

Archived