Holiday subs on local newscasts

IceManNYR

Since WABC seems to have the most changes for the holiday here is a list of who was on and off today,

this am Jen Maxfield was in for Michelle and Bill Evans was in for Amy.

At 6 and 11pm Lauren Glassberg was in for Sandra and Lee was in for Jeff.

Anthony Johnson is in for Laura doing sports.

Phil Lipof was in for all news casts.

Andy Field is doing his annual freelance reporting for WABC.

Honest question: is "solo anchor" not in their vocabulary?

Probably not, because this is the Eyewitness News team we're talking about.

I heard Bill Ritter anchors the Christmas morning broadcast and it's structured a little differently - anyone see it?

Probably not, because this is the Eyewitness News team we're talking about.

I heard Bill Ritter anchors the Christmas morning broadcast and it's structured a little differently - anyone see it?

I checked out a few snippets online, and Lee was on, too.

Since December 2001, the first Christmas after 9/11, Bill has given out his e-mail address on-air for viewers to write in and share their thoughts, emotions, and remembrances to be read during the newscast. The point back then was that thousands of local families were going through the holidays for the first time without a grandparent, parent, son, daughter or loved one who was lost in the attacks. It's become a tradition each year since 2001 that portions of the Christmas morning newscast are devoted to reading viewer e-mails. It's usually a mix of people remembering a loved one lost during the year, sending well wishes to everyone else watching, and thanking the news team for working on Christmas.

WCBS has had an interesting lineup this week...

On Monday, Hazel Sanchez anchored at 5pm with Chris Wragge. Hazel used to fill-in regularly at the desk when she first joined the station in 2000, but she has not filled-in too often in recent years. I thought she did a good job.

Starting on Tuesday and continuing through today, Otis Livingston and Mary Calvi have been anchoring the morning newscast, Otis and Cindy Hsu have been anchoring at noon, and Cindy has joined Chris Wragge at 5. Chris has been solo at 6, and Don Dahler has been solo at 11.

Otis has improved dramatically as an anchor, and it's nice to see him anchor every now and then. Additionally, it has been wonderful to see Cindy back on weekdays. She is, in my opinion, the best anchor WCBS has, and it's a shame that her talents are being wasted on weekend mornings. She is especially working very well with Chris this week, and WCBS should consider bringing her back to weekdays permanently.

Archived