WABC: New Weather Graphics

SevenHD

I did not watch the news this morning, but I just watched the evening news after the game and I noticed that they updated their weather graphics! They look really sharp.

The numbers are a bit smaller than before so it's slightly better, but nothing too blatently significant. Most graphics have remained unchanged. The Right Now graphic is now alligned to the left. There is also no degree sign after numerical temperature. Font is no longer bold for the "Tomorrow, Tomorrow Night, Tonight," forecasts. They also changed background is the same background used as a backdrop for the main set. (New Jersey View of NYC Skyline). The previous background is better, the current background no longer has the Empire State Building in it, so it makes it less identifiable as New York City, however the one they had before strikingly resembles the one WNBC uses, so it could be the reason why they switched it. Overall, nothing to go wild about. I'll try and post pictures of it and compare the two later today.

P.S.

Wow, we have a nice week instore for us, upper 70s and lower 80s all week! Impressive!! ;D

On the SD feed the graphics look much sharper.

I will try to get some HD caps at during the 6pm newscast.

I wonder if WNBC will ever update their graphics?

If you ever look at the letters and numbers the sides are not smooth and seem to have digital compression artifacting on them.

Even though it's a minor change they still looks ugly. (Grade: D) Wow, 5-6 months away till new overall graphics, they need it badly. For instance, the promo they use for "The Investigators" with the circle.

Is WABC going to stick with these updated weather graphics for the next couple of years. I would not mind if they keep the new intros around for a while. Just change the music to them. Their current set I think beats WCBS. They have a much better interview area.

I have a feeling the new set will be spectacular.

I'm guessing when Regis and Kelly go on their summer break the show will move out of the current studio space and WABC can start to work on the new set?

Correct. It's going to be a process. When Regis and Kelly go into reruns, their set will be torn down and a new one will be built in TV2. Then the new WABC set will be built in their current space, while the newscasts continue to be done from TV13. Once the new one is done, they will move newscasts to the new set, and the old one will be dismantled and converted into the morning set. That one won't be done until closer to December.

I know that their current set is to small, but what is really wrong with it. It is not outdated. I'm suprised that WABC is changing their set after only two and a half years. Why did they even bother building the current set? My guess was that they needed something temporarily because their previous set was really bad.

Archived