#ReturnOfThe10: WCAU's New Look (Finally!)

Jess

After 13 months, 9 pages, 174 posts, and over 21,000 views, yes, there is indeed a new look and logo for WCAU.

[yt]700MClacZx8[/yt]

The new graphics, which debuted at 6am Sunday morning, are based on the "Look F" graphics debuted at KNTV and KNBC, but with some significant modifications presumably made in-house at Studio Ten, WCAU's creative services and graphics design team. Brighter golds and blues accent the graphics, the Gotham font is used exclusively, and elements like the lower thirds are quite different from what has been seen at other stations.

The station has kept some elements from their revised "Look C" graphics from July 2011. The music, believed to be by Stephen Arnold, has been kept, as have the station's randomized open policy, where several variants of the opens are created, and frequently used. (i.e., the 5pm newscast might have a shot of the liberty bell one day, and the Comcast Center the next). I've seen three so far.

Weather graphics made an earlier premiere on the 11pm news last night. As this hastily taken iPhone picture shows, they've also started promoting their website as NBC10.com once more, making it the first NBC O&O to abandon NBC's "city site" website branding.

New10Weather-sm.jpg

wcau_2012_640x360.jpg

New graphic on the web site (though this isn't particularly surprising anymore ;))

I will also venture to guess that the site is going to receive some kind of update soon; there are two new, broken links on the page ("Watch NBC 10" and "Open House"), and the header logo (and the logo under the page "About Us") doesn't line up with either their station or on-air web site branding. The site is just generally screwed up... Clicking "Video" yields a weather report from November, and the URLs all say "false" for some reason.

The graphics look great! I'm really on board with this look; it basically fixes everything that I didn't like about the original Look F.

Looking forward to seeing the full montage; I attempted to record this morning's news just in case, but somehow my DVR ended up recording WHYY...

I noticed they're now using NBC 10 Weather. Is "Earthwatch" done now? Plus I saw them promoting Sheena Parveen heavily during the Super Bowl. I must ask is this a set up for her to be next in line for Glenn's job?

Overall, liking the new look and graphics all around.

I noticed they're now using NBC 10 Weather. Is "Earthwatch" done now? Plus I saw them promoting Sheena Parveen heavily during the Super Bowl. I must ask is this a set up for her to be next in line for Glenn's job?

Overall, liking the new look and graphics all around.

Huh. Good point. Earthwatch seems to be dead (though they still use the theme with the NBC10 Weather name).

It's a sharp new look. The morning show carried me over to Today, which I hadn't really watched since before Couric left. The new L3's are the first I've liked since after the Olympics in '96 and it's nice to have a logo that reads" NBC 10!"

Archived