What happened to the ABC News Brief?

24994J

I got home early today and flipped on the tube at 1:58 to check out the ABC News update. Instead, WLS did a live, local update with Alan Krashesky from the newsroom. No election news, no breaking news, no weather warnings, nothing special about it.

Did the network drop the update, or is this an isolated incident?

It may be an isolated incident, but it does seem odd that WLS-TV, a station that is an ABC O&O, would preempt the News Brief. Not every ABC station carries the ABC News Brief segments though, some of Hearst's ABC stations might be among the ones that preempt it considering KOCO here in Oklahoma City has usually preempted it in favor of airing additional commercials, however the station has aired it at last once recently (I recall one time in January when the station aired it in its entirerty) possibly by accident.

KMGH-TV in Denver still airs the briefs as well. I can understand why stations would choose not to run it, given that last I saw of it (earlier this month) it now serves as little more than a glorified promo for World News. Is that usually the case?

KMGH-TV in Denver still airs the briefs as well. I can understand why stations would choose not to run it, given that last I saw of it (earlier this month) it now serves as little more than a glorified promo for World News. Is that usually the case?

That's what is usually is. 2 news snippets that point to "in-depth" reports on World News. I can almost see why several stations don't air it. It's better to run a commercial during that brief and get a little revenue out of it.

Archived