WLNY Details

tvknowledge

The way the studio camera is moving around in the Vertigo story video seems to indicate either they have high schoolers running the robocams or this is from a rehearsal.

I'd imagine it's the latter.

If it did, we would've heard about it and clips would've already been posted to YT. Everything that's been written says the show will start Monday.

Well, it looks like it may have launched. I read in an article that they were going to do a soft launch of the program. I just thought the soft launch would start on the 2nd.

BTW, The graphics remind me of 'The Early Show' graphics before it was CBS This Morning.

Starting tomorrow, the news is back on TV 10/55, and with that a new schedule. Any show marked with (NEW) is new to the schedule but it does not necessarily mean it's a brand new (first-run) show. Any show marked in blue CBS 2 airs it too. Shows marked in green other stations airs it.

5:30a: First Business

6:00a: Better (NEW)

7:00a: Live from the Couch (NEW)

9:00a: America's Court with Judge Ross (2 eps)(New time)

10:00a: Eye for a Eye (2 eps)

11:00a: Judge Hatchett (2 eps) (NEW)

12:00p: Last Shot with Judge Gunn (2 eps)(NEW)

1:00p: America's Court with Judge Ross (2 eps)(New time)

2:00p: America's Funniest Home Videos (New time)

3:00p: Cold Case Files

4:00p: Cheaters (2 eps)(NEW)

5:00p: Frasier (2 eps)

6:00p: The Doctors (NEW)

7:00p: Dr. Phil (New time)

8:00p: Law & Order: CI

9:00p: WLNY TV 10/55 News at 9 (NEW)

10:00p: Judge Judy (2 eps)

11:00p: ET

11:30p: Inside Edition

12:00a: Law & Order: CI (New time)

1:00a: Movie (New time)

News at 9 looked like nothing more than another hour long news that already litters the landscape of the dial. With all the hoopla and love fest that was exuded at

the FOLIO awards earlier this year towards CBS coming in and giving Long Island a voice, they were duped. Not one dedicated LI story until the 2nd half hour. Their weather

guy was nice enough to include 15 seconds of LI dedicated weather at the end of his weather cast, after the 5 day. Thanks for the effort

Forgive me for actually liking the old newscast with Richard Rose and crew which had a warm, hometown feel albeit not up to the standard of today's newscasts. At least

they had LI covered. Watching Wragge and Tyler was nothing more than watching a CBS2 newscast, replayed on TV 10/55.

Maybe I've got the whole idea wrong and it is supposed to just be another TV station on the dial but if that's the case, then LI is back to having

only one real voice which is the monopoly known as News12.

If there were any kinks to work out on 'The Couch', they can do so without anyone watching. Nielson overnights had 0.0 for the entire 2 hours. Just watched the dvr of the debut and

it wasn't bad. They all looked uncomfortable but that's to be expected on day 1. I would think that given a chance, John Elliot will ease the tension. But the camera shots were awful as the 3 were so bunched together that half the bodies of the other 2 women were in each shot as they either stared or prepared while John talked. John sat scrunched between the two with his arms tight to his side and hands on his lap. They have to loosen up the seating and the shot. Otherwise, a good looking threesome but typical morning show krap. I'm not sure what they can do to even bring in a couple hundred viewers

The News at 9 is called "WLNY TV 10/55 News at 9" and the graphics and music (Image News) are similar to KCAL, right down to the color, yellow and blue.

• The reporters sign-off by using "TV 10/55"
  • They're broadcasting from a different desk, the mini desk (which can only seat two and branded with the WLNY logo) is between the main desk and the interview set
  • Lonnie and Otis switched sides due to the weather center is closer to the interview set
  • There is new mic flag with CBS 2 News and WLNY 10/55 News on it; only one reporter has it (Sean Hennessy), everyone else use a blank mic or the CBS 2 HD flag
  • During the "You Got to See This!" segment, the bumper plays throughout the segment
  • There's only a 5 day forecast, not a 7 day
  • And no Richard Rose appearance

Sorry about the quality, these were taken during the last 10 minutes of the newscast.

th_WLNY1.jpgth_WLNY2.jpgth_WLNY3.jpgth_WLNY4.jpgth_WLNY5.jpgth_WLNY6.jpg

I am watching the TV10/55 newscast as we speak, and there has been only one story from Long Island, which Carolyn Gusoff covered, about a woman surviving a lightning strike. If Long Islanders were expecting more LI-centric news, then they certainly were duped. It is a good newscast, don't get me wrong, but WCBS (at least right now) is doing with WLNY what FOX is doing with WWOR-TV in New Jersey (and we all know the story there).

WLNY opted to wait until the second half of the show to report news on the Island, which makes no sense as a Long Island station.

For the temporary WLNY studio they added a desk in front of the video screen which I believe is opposite the CBS2 news desk.

I have to agree with the comments on the 9pm newscast content, it's a WCBS newscast except it's on WLNY.

To much news from NJ and the five boroughs.

When the WLNY studio remodel is done will they do the 9pm news casts from WLNY with different anchors or are Chris and Dana going to commute to the WLNY studio?

For the temporary WLNY studio they added a desk in front of the video screen which I believe is opposite the CBS2 news desk.

I have to agree with the comments on the 9pm newscast content, it's a WCBS newscast except it's on WLNY.

To much news from NJ and the five boroughs.

When the WLNY studio remodel is done will they do the 9pm news casts from WLNY with different anchors or are Chris and Dana going to commute to the WLNY studio?

There is no "studio remodel", WCBS is building a dedicated studio for WLNY at the CBS Broadcast Center. The era of broadcasts originating from WLNY's facilities is probably over.

All of the ‘LNY newscasts will originate from the Broadcast Center on West 57th Street. At the start' date=' those live broadcasts will be produced at the WCBS studios that debuted last year, but WCBS is in the process of building a new WLNY studio.[/quote']

What a shame. The LI / Fair Media Council was totally duped. They thought (and were originally told) they were getting more LI coverage and competition to News12. Sounds like CBS sold them the Robert Moses Causeway Bridge.

It seems pretty awkward for each anchor and reporter signing off saying, "TV 10/55" . Wouldn't it be better if they signed off in the following fashion? I'm (insert name), WLNY News". "And that does it for the News at 9 for "insert name" and the rest of the WLNY news team, etc, etc, etc. It seems to flow better than "TV 10/55".

The full name of the newscast is "WLNY TV 10/55 News"; the old newscast was "TV 10 & 55 News"

Gave it a full week and granted, it is a holiday weekend so the total viewing audience is low to begin with. However, The Couch was seen by virtually no one. It had a perfect record

of goose eggs, 0.0 each and every day this week for all demos and even total households. What that means is John Elliot, Kerney and Benitez were lucky if their family members watched

for more than 6 minutes per quarter hour on any day.

At night, WLNY TV 10/55 averaged a .3 for the week. Based on total households at that hour, approximately under 3,000 people sampled the news for at least 15 minutes. No one particular quarter hour did better than the others. Viewing was scattered.

As a reference, the old TV 10/55 News was scoring .8 to 1.2 in it's last 6 months on air. Maybe Long Islanders are a little ticked off that they lost a local news outlet and now get nothing more than the exact same show that cbs2 puts out at 5pm? Same stories, same order, only different graphics and tag outs.

Here's a good example. They've done a few hot weather & beach stories. Where did they go? To the New Jersey shore beaches. You think L.I. viewers are going to tune it for that?

Well it looks as if WLNY is straying away from being just a Long Island station. Which I think is good... They definitely can't compete with WNYW, WWOR, WPIX if it's heavily Long Island based.

Due note that when CBS brought WLNY, everyone out of the operations was mostly laid off; Rose is the only talent that remains from pre-CBS era. This will explain why WCBS and WLNY stories are pretty much the same.

• 2 weeks later...

As of this morning, The Couch still has a 0.0 rating. If anyone does sample it (I believe there was a day with a .1 in two of the quarter hours), they are not watching for the full 15 minutes to get a tenth of a percentage point.

The TV 10/55 News at 9 has also failed to get anything higher than a .4 in a couple quarter hours of the broadcast since its inception. The average since July 2 is a .2 By comparison, the old TV 10 news at 11 regularly averaged between .8 and 1.1

Did anyone really expect there would be an audience for a nearly exact repeat of the 5pm CBS2 News just because you put Chris Wragge with the ratings impaired Dana Tyler?

Bring back Richard Rose with the not so polished but likable cast of David Weiss, Audrey Hampton and Kurt Sempder. It has to be better

Don't be so quick to consider the new broadcasts a failure. As has been previously reported, they decided to go with a soft launch. There's been little to no promotion (Dana and Chris don't even end the 6 p.m. saying that they'll be back at 9 on WLNY) and it takes time to change habits. My guess is that they want to wait for the broadcasts to find a groove before they start advertising.

My complaint is the lack of brand consistency on WLNY. Is it "WLNY 10/55," as the logo says? Or "WLNY-TV 10/55" as the announcer says in the 9 p.m. open? Or "TV 10/55" as the talent refer to it as? Is the morning show called "The Couch," which is the logo, or "Live From The Couch," as it's referred to verbally? Why is there a WLNY 10/55 logo at night and just the WLNY circle in the morning?

I have to say that I love the way the 9 p.m. graphics look. I believe it's similar to KCAL but it's nice having a second color (gold) involved. Before CBS 2 simplified the graphics to what would become the O&O look (which I was never a fan of) two years ago, they had a nice mix of blue and gold since 2007. It's also cool seeing them use a different part of the studio for the desk.

I'm excited to see what's ahead for WLNY, which will finally be able to compete in the big leagues, even if that means dropping its Long Island focus.

Interesting line in the article from the FMC spokeswoman, to paraphrase either fix it now or you've lost us. The irony is, if we cross reference this article with the one in the Daily News today that Channel 7 fan posted, the person hired to run WLNY is the subject of a lawsuit filed today for age discrimination. I'm sure this is not the kind of press that WLNY wants to make its own headlines

Archived