KCNC using News in Focus for promos?

ABC 7 Denver

I can tell you, Sam.

Gari Media acquired the licensing to use the News In Focus theme in 2005 and incorporate it into The CBS Enforcer Music Collection, However, Gari and Hegner split up somewhere in 2007 or 2008. I think most of Hegner's cuts are still part of the package, but I don't believe Gari acquired the theme. They probably still have the license to use it I suppose.

It's the same signature as Enforcer, though! Same animal, different version, different name. And your telling me people at KCNC said "Hmmm, this cut works for promos!" Never mind that it is different but not entirely dissimilar from CBS-EMC. Continuity people! IDK, maybe I'm just well versed in the differences between the packages, but I could tell the difference between News in Focus and EMC in a 15 second spot.

I can tell you, Sam.

Gari Media acquired the licensing to use the News In Focus theme in 2005 and incorporate it into The CBS Enforcer Music Collection, However, Gari and Hegner split up somewhere in 2007 or 2008. I think most of Hegner's cuts are still part of the package, but I don't believe Gari acquired the theme. They probably still have the license to use it I suppose.

Yes, Gari/Hegner split up the official "joint venture" a few year back but much of Hegner's cuts are still in the package along with license to use them. There was no disagreements or fights among the 2 composers causing stations using Enforcer being banned from using any of the Hegner cuts. Gari, for a while, just wanted to edit, rework, do his own thing with the Hegner cuts. There have been no interest from stations for Gari to do any work with the Hegner cuts and Gari shifted focus on his New Generation stuff so they just split the joint venture. Alot of the Hegner cuts make great promo cuts. If a station wanted Gari to do some stuff again with Hegner cuts, all it would take is a phone call from Gari to Hegner. It's not like the 2 packages can't be used hand in hand anymore.. I personally know Hegner welcomes it. Hegner cuts are even used in some demo videos Gari has so they do promote Hegner's music.

I (and a particular composer) just find it funny that people out on a few message boards make this out as a bigger deal than it really is..

I was working on a post, but basically what lazynetjunkie said was more eloquent than I could put it.

If the News in Focus parts of Enforcer were forbidden, it wouldn't be in the video demo on his site. Not only is it there, but it's featured with all of the New Gen stuff. It says something that most of "Classic Enforcer" wasn't in there, but News in Focus is. And yeah, I keep hearing NiF pop up from time to time. I know one of the montages of WBZ's switch to the O&O look had them use the News in Focus close. I know KYW used the main bumper cut for their 7-9 CW morning news. So its available if stations want to use it.

Besides, didn't Hegner leave the production music business to become more of an indie singer-songwriter? That would have something to do with it. (A gutsy, bold, and admirable move in my opinion.)

And your telling me people at KCNC said "Hmmm, this cut works for promos!" Never mind that it is different but not entirely dissimilar from CBS-EMC. Continuity people!

Well, it's not "different" from Enforcer. It IS Enforcer, just one of its many and varied themes. When Gari and Hegner "joined up", News in Focus was made part of the Enforcer package. Gari then released a series of Enforcer - commissioned for WUSA - that consisted of the entirety of News in Focus (some with unnecessary sound effects added) and a few new cuts that very, very closely matched the style of News in Focus.

I don't work at a TV station, but I can tell you, with probably 100% accuracy, that the people at KCNC went through the cuts of Enforcer, heard the News in Focus cut, and thought "Hmmmm, this cut works for promos!" They didn't know that it was part of a separate package, not by Gari. They just heard that cut, liked how it sounded, and put it on the air.

I have one thing that I try to emphasize: WE ARE NOT JOE VIEWER. Or, in this case, Joe Station Employee. We're much more aware of news and graphics packages than even the people at the television stations. We know News in Focus is different from Enforcer, but the station didn't. And in all honesty, given that KCNC and the other O&Os primarily use NG2, I'd say they picked a theme that fit what they were using pretty well.

Of course, I kind of chuckle that they chose that for their morning news. Because News in Focus had a

that is probably my favorite part of that package.

As someone who has a say in choosing music cuts for an actual station (and someone who traded themes back in the late 90's), I had the privilege of working with the Enforcer package for several years. Hegner's theme fits perfectly in perfectly with the standard Enforcer cuts. Gari's morning cuts (except for Enforcer NG 2) have always been fairly weak, and if I'd had morning topicals to cut I probably would've chosen a few of the NIF tracks myself.

To think that it's sloppy work by station employees is just totally off base. Using that same logic, should a station not be allowed to use a cut off of Enforcer disc 1 if they're also using NG3 since they sound so different? (Hint: before you speak, my station used cuts from all 12 CD's available at the time concurrently.) The viewers at home don't care.

In comparison using NIF in conjunction with many cuts form EMC isn't as bad as WVIT using both NG3 and NG4 together. While they both have similar signatures (NBC Chimes) the themes are entirely different! First, this is very sloppy on WVIT's part. Even a person unlike ourselves could hear the error. Second, any other stations miss this continuity so egregiously (ignoring the NIF for EMC switches)?

Archived