WCNC Rebranded To "NBC Charlotte News"

AaronQ

It was bound to happen. They had been teasing a possible rebrand of WCNC for a few months now with that logo.

Good for them.

Yeah same here and I am still waiting for WCNC to have their newscast in HD

The station has been confused at least since 2008 on branding. But the rebrand sorta of makes sense considering they are next to the NBC News Channel off of the Billy Graham Parkway.

I would also say that WCNC is literally the red headed step child of Belo's group.

The station has been confused at least since 2008 on branding. But the rebrand sorta of makes sense considering they are next to the NBC News Channel off of the Billy Graham Parkway.

I would also say that WCNC is literally the red headed step child of Belo's group.

I agree what u said and I hope one day Belo will give up WCNC and sell it to NBC as their O&O station (which it make a lot more sense)

I agree what u said and I hope one day Belo will give up WCNC and sell it to NBC as their O&O station (which it make a lot more sense)

I agree that if Belo put WCNC on the market, NBC might entertain buying the station. It is in DMA #24, which would not be the smallest DMA station NBC owns (They own WVIT, DMA #30. Just sayin'). Plus, figuring that they run the NBC News Channel syndicate out of the same building might be a precipitant.

I agree that if Belo put WCNC on the market, NBC might entertain buying the station. It is in DMA #24, which would not be the smallest DMA station NBC owns (They own WVIT, DMA #30. Just sayin'). Plus, figuring that they run the NBC News Channel syndicate out of the same building might be a precipitant.

Don't forget that NBCU used to own WNCN in Raleigh back in the early 2000's, so I doubt that NBC would be in the buying mood as far as WCNC is concerned.

But I agree, with WSOC and to a smaller extent WBTV running the town, WCNC was always at a disadvantage and hence never gave Belo the incentive to do anything to improve the station. I think Belo needs to sell them off too but it won't be to NBCU, it would probably be to someone else like Local TV.

My two cents anyway.

Why would NBCUniversal want to buy WCNC when it's doing well with NBC Connecticut (I'm talking NBCU)? Just because they rebranded to NBC Charlotte from NewsChannel 36, does not mean NBCU would pick them up. IMHO even if Belo were to sell WCNC, they would go to Gannett or Local TV.

• 5 months later...

The move to "NBC Charlotte" was a good one. But, has anyone seen that new set? Too much blue in the background. And something's wrong with the lighting -- sometimes the anchors appear out of focus. The weather set is nice, but they just need to do something with the background behind the main anchor desk. Not only the blue, but the white accents and the small "window" with the skyline are cheesy.

Why would NBCUniversal want to buy WCNC when it's doing well with NBC Connecticut (I'm talking NBCU)? Just because they rebranded to NBC Charlotte from NewsChannel 36' date=' does not mean NBCU would pick them up. IMHO even if Belo [i']were [/i]to sell WCNC, they would go to Gannett or Local TV.

Well, LocalTV is effectively no longer in the business, so that's that. Cox or Media General (to be a direct sister to WNCN) would be more realistic buyers. But nothing has ever been suggested that Belo wants to unload WCNC.

I generally thought that NBC only kept WVIT because of its' proximity to NYC. Otherwise, they managed to unload all of the former Outlet stations to MG, and even tried to sell WTVJ to the WaPo in what would have been a legal duopoly with WPLG, given WTVJ's ratings crisis back in late 2007.

I'm not too sure on the precipitant factor. ABC for a long time has had their news satellite uplinks based at WXYZ's Broadcast House, and that's continued in spite of ABC having spun off the station to Scripps in 1986. Plus CBS has their Washington news bureau for decades in spite of not owning WTOP/WDVM/W*USA.

The only way I could ever, EVER see NBC buying WCNC would be if Belo (or any future owner that isn't the peacock) threatens to evict the NBC News Channel from their turf. Otherwise, why bother? NBC has apparently long been good neighbors with Belo, and nothing has ever suggested that the relationship has soured in the least.

I think the move to NBC Charlotte in terms of branding was a great move. I think that the new set is beautiful, and from the pictures, it is their SD cameras that just kill it. They need to go full HD and I think redo all reporter assignments and their news strategy if they want to really move up in the ranks of the Charlotte News Market.

Archived