KSL-TV to debut new set

T.L. Hughes

KSL-TV, Salt Lake City's NBC affiliate, debuted a new news set Monday (October 29). The station had been operating out of a temporary set since September 29. The new set features several giant screens and a panel of nine 60-inch monitors, which are coordinated with LED backlighting. It was designed in manner that more closely resembles a network newscast's set than the kind that would be seen on local newscast.

KSL has a story on its website on the construction of the new digs: http://www.ksl.com/i...e-of-a-kind-set

'We did not want to go with a traditional local news feel,' said Tanya Vea, executive vice-president for news. 'We think we're bigger than that. We think we're better than that.'

A little full ourselves, aren't we? Did they forget they're only Salt Lake City?

Don't get me wrong, though, it's a REALLY nice set...a huge step up from what they had before!

• 3 weeks later...

I think this set may win some awards for sure, due to the innovative, customizable design that it possesses. With what they have set up, the set is almost fully customizable, allowing for unique presentation techniques seldom used anywhere in the business! (Feel like I'm preaching to the choir, though)

This set is an excellent use of space. It really makes space look way bigger than what it is. I would love to see this set here in San Diego. Maybe at KSWB (it's time for them to upgrade) because they use every inch of space in their current studio and newsroom and backlot for something. They would really use that set properly.

• 3 weeks later...

This set is an excellent use of space. It really makes space look way bigger than what it is. I would love to see this set here in San Diego. Maybe at KSWB (it's time for them to upgrade) because they use every inch of space in their current studio and newsroom and backlot for something. They would really use that set properly.

Perhaps a new set is in the works. They posted a photo on Instagram of what will soon be their new newsroom: http://instagram.com/p/S3jtFNoDoo/

Looks to me like it will be in a separate space from the studio and control room, so they could potentially use the current newsroom space as part of a new, larger studio.

Perhaps a new set is in the works. They posted a photo on Instagram of what will soon be their new newsroom: http://instagram.com/p/S3jtFNoDoo/

Looks to me like it will be in a separate space from the studio and control room, so they could potentially use the current newsroom space as part of a new, larger studio.

If they are working towards a new set, I hope they start from scratch. This current set has a lot of elements recycled from the CW set.

Archived