WITI *finally* building new Studio A set

LoadStar

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More like the O&O one (since 'ITI is a LocalTV station, not NewsCorp)?

Hopefully. They need to. WJW (another LocalTV sister) has the O&O Logo with the "8" that's been used since 1997.

Somehow, WITI never got the O&O-styled logo. Hell, WBRC/Birmingham got such a logo - with a "6" ident similar in font to WJW and WGHP's "8" ident.

WBRC.jpg

It doesn't make sense, especially as the other Fox O&Os - even those about to be sold to Local TV and never got the standard O&O news set (WGHP, WDAF, WBRC, KDVR, KSTU) - did get the O&O logo and first generation graphics.

I don't see WITI ever getting a duplicate of WBRC's logo. If anything, it will either be status quo or an anti-O&O logo like KDVR's.

Somehow, WITI never got the O&O-styled logo.

It doesn't make sense, especially as the other Fox O&Os - even those about to be sold to Local TV and never got the standard O&O news set (WGHP, WDAF, WBRC, KDVR, KSTU) - did get the O&O logo and first generation graphics.

They actually had a vertical O&O logo designed for them while they were still under FOX ownership. It appeared in places on their MyFox website. My guess has always been they never adopted it on-air because the horizontal version was all over the set and vehicles. That and they don't seem to like change that much over there...

Anyways, progress on striking the set has come pretty far, most of it is gone.

They actually had a vertical O&O logo designed for them while they were still under FOX ownership. It appeared in places on their MyFox website. My guess has always been they never adopted it on-air because the horizontal version was all over the set and vehicles. That and they don't seem to like change that much over there...

Anyways, progress on striking the set has come pretty far, most of it is gone.

Why is that a Fox Sports metal grid on that table?

It used to be on the wall in the sports area. It always bothered me when they did sports with the anchor standing in the center of that thing.

http://localtvwiti.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/demo-start-003.jpg?w=627

And of course, that really showed how dated the set had become - that was the mid '90s Fox Sports logo. They stopped using that variant LONG ago. Apparently no one thought to take it down and replace it with a newer version, even through all of the supposed facelifts the set had received.

Ted Perry posted a video of (rollerblading in) the fairly empty studio. For some reason, the desks are still around and in their proper location.

Still a ways to go before things can start going up!

In their proper location to give perspective of where they used to be in that empty space. I'm sure the desks are being saved and maybe even being reused in the new set.. It appeared care was taken to protect them in the dismantling of the old set..

In their proper location to give perspective of where they used to be in that empty space. I'm sure the desks are being saved and maybe even being reused in the new set.. It appeared care was taken to protect them in the dismantling of the old set..

If they keep the old desks, I get the feeling I'm going to be as disappointed with this set as I was with WISN's. Don't get me wrong, the current FOX O&O desk that they have is nice, but the new desks that FX has been using at WCCO and WBNS are awesome.

I'm wondering what they're keeping them around for, but I also seem to recall during the "renovation" a few years back the old desk floated around the studio right up until the new desk went in. They wheeled it off into the storage room and it was never seen again.

The Real Milwaukee desk I'd save simply because it would make a perfect remote desk. Throw some hinges on it and the top would fold down nicely. I'll cry if they're actually going to reuse the O&O desk on the new set. That thing needs to go. It should have never been to begin with.

Probably in the storage area again. That's where they were put while the rest of the set was being dismantled.. They even built custom desk sized platforms out of plywood and 2x4's with wheels to cart them around. I'm not saying they're definitely going to reuse them but I doubt they would have built those if they didn't plan on storing them.

I really do like Studio B a lot. I know Ted Perry's not a fan, since it apparently is a bit of an oven in there, but it does look really good. The only thing that would be better is if they would have had the duratrans for the "window" on a roll so they could switch to an evening-lit shot.

(I also think that they could have ditched one of the "FOX6 NEWS" logos on the wall. I know one of them was where the FOX6 Wakeup logo was, but they probably could have just taken it down and not replaced it with anything. It looks a little redundant.)

I really do like Studio B a lot. I know Ted Perry's not a fan, since it apparently is a bit of an oven in there, but it does look really good. The only thing that would be better is if they would have had the duratrans for the "window" on a roll so they could switch to an evening-lit shot.

(I also think that they could have ditched one of the "FOX6 NEWS" logos on the wall. I know one of them was where the FOX6 Wakeup logo was, but they probably could have just taken it down and not replaced it with anything. It looks a little redundant.)

I agree. Which is why I'm trying not to get my hopes up about the new set. If it's not a state of the art, non cookie cutter set, it's going to automatically look worse just because of how nice Studio B is.

SPECULATION IS FUN GUYS!!

What else are we supposed to do here?

I agree. Which is why I'm trying not to get my hopes up about the new set. If it's not a state of the art, non cookie cutter set, it's going to automatically look worse just because of how nice Studio B is.

What else are we supposed to do here?

Have meaningful conversation that ends in something productive being done.

From who?

Graham Blyth/Blyth Design (Same people who designed the FOX O&O sets and a number of FOX News Channel sets before Clickspring entered the scene). The WITI morning set uses some of the same elements as a set they built for the AARP. The AARP is not real good at the internet (shocking, I know!) over there so I can't find shows using it other than the Obama Town Hall from 2009. I remember seeing a picture of it at one point, it was basically a larger, less refined version of the performance/interview area of WITI's set but with an additional "couch" interview area. You can kind of see what's going on in this picture.

Interesting. Even the carpet looks like it is the same as what they used in Studio A.

*shrug* It still is a good set, even if it is a "set in a box." Plus, it's not a terribly overused set in a box, at least, if this shot here is the first I've seen of anyone else using it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived