Sinclair gets WUTB

CircleSeven

Remember back on May 15, Fox & Sinclair announed that they have reached a new five-year agreement to renew its fox affiliation for Sinclair's 19 stations. But it also included that Sinclair could acquire MyNetworkTV affil WUTB while Fox could buy a combo of six Sinclair stations in the cities of Las Vegas (KVCW/KVMY), Raleigh (WLFL/WRDC), Cincinnati (WSTR) & Norfolk (WTVZ).

Well, fast forward to today (11/29) and by this FCC paperwork posted on its website within the last hour, Fox has applied to sell WUTB to Deerfield Media, which if the FCC does approve it, we will see Sinclair Triopoly in its flagship city, Baltimore (joining WBFF & WNUV). This would be its third Triopoly after Nashville (WZTV/WUXP/WNAB) & Columbus (WSYX/WTTE/WWHO).

As of now, there's no word as to if FOX will acquire any of the Sinclair stations as of yet.

Fox Television Stations negotiating to pick up Sinclair properties in the four agreed upon Sinclair markets

Yep. I have a feeling Fox will be investing the Raleigh market (WLFL/WRDC) and probably kick the others to the curve. I know Fox has the new hub in Vegas but I don't think they will touch anything outside of Market 30. Then if they do get the Raleigh stations, they'll probably re-sell it along with Memphis' WHBQ and probably KTBC 7. If KMYS would've stayed a MyNetworkTV affil, Fox would've probably got KABB as another duo in Texas (like KRIV/KTXH & KDFW/KDFI).

Yep. I have a feeling Fox will be investing the Raleigh market (WLFL/WRDC) and probably kick the others to the curve. I know Fox has the new hub in Vegas but I don't think they will touch anything outside of Market 30. Then if they do get the Raleigh stations, they'll probably re-sell it along with Memphis' WHBQ and probably KTBC 7. If KMYS would've stayed a MyNetworkTV affil, Fox would've probably got KABB as another duo in Texas (like KRIV/KTXH & KDFW/KDFI).

If Fox does acquire WLFL/WRDC, they will more than likely steal the FOX affiliation fron WRAZ, and put it back on WLFL where it was from FOX's inception to 1998. This could also mean that FOX could start a news department again and kick WTVD to the curb. Even if the CW ended up on WRAZ after all is said and done, I bet WRAL would keep their 10pm newscast there.

I have a feeling as well that a shake up will occur in the Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville market coming soon...

WRAZ's days as a Fox affiliate maybe indeed numbered and they will be soon be a CW affiliate. In actuality, it would be seems to kind of make sense for WRAL-TV (CBS) and WRAZ to be with the CW. Fox seems to be more OK with higher channel number O&Os these days (see WOFL/Orlando as an example).

If Fox does acquire WLFL/WRDC, they will more than likely steal the FOX affiliation fron WRAZ, and put it back on WLFL where it was from FOX's inception to 1998. This could also mean that FOX could start a news department again and kick WTVD to the curb. Even if the CW ended up on WRAZ after all is said and done, I bet WRAL would keep their 10pm newscast there.

For WRAL, it would be business as usual (regardless of WRAZ's affiliation), but WTVD would come out a loser as they would no longer have a 10:00 newscast or a place to put it in this case.

I was always surprised that Fox never sold KTBC to begin with. It's not part of a duoploy, and Austin isn't that big a market in comparison to Houston and Dallas, where they do have Fox/My duoploies.

WHBQ obviously was rescinded because LocalTV and Raycom (who traded with LocalTV to get WBRC) already had stations in the market.

Yea but if you take a look in Austin its either Belo, LIN, or Sinclair. FOX owning KTBC is probably to the stations best benefit right now. It also helps that they maintain some sort of presence in the Hill Country by giving the southern part of the Austin market (which is also with the northern part of the San Antonio market) at least one FOX owned station to provide coverage.

Fox could be pursuing the purchase of the 2 Las Vegas stations since Fox hasn't signed a new long-term affiliation agreement with Meredith's KVVU. If Fox buys out Sinclair, it would give Sinclair the opportunity to go after KLAS and potentially form a Sinclair/Fox duopoly.

Fox could be pursuing the purchase of the 2 Las Vegas stations since Fox hasn't signed a new long-term affiliation agreement with Meredith's KVVU. If Fox buys out Sinclair, it would give Sinclair the opportunity to go after KLAS and potentially form a Sinclair/Fox duopoly.

Or Fox could purchase KLAS, swapping its CBS affiliation to KVVU.

Or Fox could purchase KLAS, swapping its CBS affiliation to KVVU.

I was going to say KVVU might be better off getting CBS because most of the Meredith's stations are that of CBS affiliates.

Las Vegas is a unique television market because all of the big-four network affiliate stations are operating over-the-air digitally & physically on the VHF dial (KSNV 3 (2), KVVU 5 (9), KLAS 8 (7) & KTNV 13 (13)) while the Sinclair's CW & MyNet stations are on the UHF dial (KVMY 21 (22) & KVCW 33 (29)). And many folks know that VHF dials in the digital world (especially the VHF-lows 2-6) have been nothing but problematic (especially in the urban areas) (see WPVI, WLS & WABC just to name a few after the digital transition in 2009). Many folks within these big cities (especially within the city limits) don't have those giant rooftop antennas. They have standard rabbit ears or have cable. I don't see how over-the-air folks watch KSNV 3 on a VHF-low channel without having a large rooftop antenna.

Should Fox get KVCW/KMYS, obviously they would have to pull in infrastructure for sure (starting News ops, etc.), but IMO, even though Fox did start their programming hubs, I don't think they'll touch the Vegas stations, or even Star 64 or TVZ for that matter.

For WRAL, it would be business as usual (regardless of WRAZ's affiliation), but WTVD would come out a loser as they would no longer have a 10:00 newscast or a place to put it in this case.

Should Fox does get the Raleigh stations and WTVD lose the 10pm show (which I think it will happen), I don't think 11 would lose any bit of sleep if that happens. It will no doubt make several new jobs. That would be a giant plus!!!

But right now kvvu is a major fox network hub from what I've heard

If that's the case, then the next logical step would be for Fox and Meredith Corp to deal should they make a move on the Sinclair stations in Vegas.

I was going to say KVVU might be better off getting CBS because most of the Meredith's stations are that of CBS affiliates.

More specifically, half of Meredith's broadcast portfolio consists of CBS affiliates. Of the other six: three are Fox affiliates (KPTV, KVVU, WHNS), two are MyNetworkTV affiliates (KSMO, KPDX), and one is an NBC affiliate (WSMV).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived