Today Show Woes

Daybreak

The ratings have come in for the Morning Shows and the Today show is losing thousands (millions) of viewers. http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/morning-show-ratings-week-of-december-17_b160725

Now I think the Today show should pull a CBS and let go of all the co-hosts of the show and start fresh. Yes that means get rid of beloved Matt Lauer too. It seems they are trying to be number one again than just focusing on the show itself (doesn't feel ginuwined). I think they should replace Matt with Peter Alexander or bring in someone from ABC like David Muir and for Savannah they should get either Tamron Hall or surprisingly an CBS reject Maggie Rodriguez (she was a great morning personality on a poorly produced show). For the news anchor position they should have either Erica Hill or a local anchor from a major market (someone from either L.A. or Philly) and a younger weather personality. They need a shake up because now it seems Matt is hurting them more than anyone else. I stopped watching the Today show a few years back when I started to see Matt's cockiness and arrogance.Even CBS This Mornings are gaining grounds on the rating battle. Do any of you have any suggestions to help save the Today show?

Maggie Rodriguez and Erica Hill, that sounds about right. Replace the NBC crew with 2/4 of the former CBS crew. Erica Hill and Maggie were no help to CBS, why would they be any different at NBC? While I agree Matt Lauer has just been there way too long, the answer isn't to completely gut the entire show. TODAY needs to do some rebuilding to a certain extent, but nothing drastic and quick. I for one am all for them eliminating that 4th hour, which is a drag. Keep in mind TODAY is only in 2nd place, they're in no real danger of falling to third. More than the TODAY shows problems, I believe that people just enjoy Good Morning America more. The ensemble there has become a force to reckon with and can only grow stronger with Robins return. All it took for people to recongnize that was for NBC to screw up, which they did.

Not to mention that the teams you suggested would all be absolutely terrible together at least in my opinion. Maggie Rodriguez heading up The TODAY show? Can't imagine that.

David Muir, Tamron Hall - doesn't sound like a good team at all.

Peter Alexander, Maggie Rodriguez- even worse

If the Today Show was to make a reshuffling, it would certainly need to dump Lauer for Willie Giest and keep Savannah. Al Roker needs to go as well, maybe bring in a female forecaster since Willie has great on-air chemistry with all the female anchors.

Not to mention that the teams you suggested would all be absolutely terrible together at least in my opinion. Maggie Rodriguez heading up The TODAY show? Can't imagine that.

David Muir, Tamron Hall - doesn't sound like a good team at all.

Peter Alexander, Maggie Rodriguez- even worse

If the Today Show was to make a reshuffling, it would certainly need to dump Lauer for Willie Giest and keep Savannah. Al Roker needs to go as well, maybe bring in a female forecaster since Willie has great on-air chemistry with all the female anchors.

Willie needs a little more age on him before I see him headlining Today. Tamron Hall does well when she fills in and would be find. I would however give you Peter Alexander but what is wrong with Maggie Rodriguez. She did do a good job at CBS and even the ex executive producer of the Today show Jim Bell said he liked her as well. Erica as well is a real good anchor and host but something about CBS kind of ruin or tarnish their image. For example when Katie was at NBC she was treated as a god but when she went to CBS people didn't like her. She did an excellent job as an anchor but her personality didn't shine through as well as it did for Today. Savannah needs to go not because she is terrible but she is kind of a distraction from the Ann Curry situation and as an executive producer I would like to get rid of that image just like how Katie came in after the Deborah/Jane scandal. You have to make some tough decisions to revamp the show. I will also say that yes GMA has gotten better in the big picture, but they tweaked the show (content) to get their so Today, need to stop working around Matt and just do what they have to do to save their show for sliding even more.

Why not just divide the show in half? The 7am-9am slot would be the original "Today" but with a harder news emphasis, while the second half - working title: "Later Today" - would be a two-hour chatfest merging elements from the 9am hour into the Hoda and Katie hour at 10am.

I get that the show was popular enough back in the 90s that expansion made sense (yes, I actually give Zucker credit for something this time), but now it's a liability. The show is just too long and this unwieldiness hurts all aspects of the three distinct shows that line the main program.

Work on how the show is structured first before deciding who should and shouldn't host. Their dumping of Ann Curry was a pure panic move that shouldn't be repeated.

Why not just divide the show in half? The 7am-9am slot would be the original "Today" but with a harder news emphasis, while the second half - working title: "Later Today" - would be a two-hour chatfest merging elements from the 9am hour into the Hoda and Katie hour at 10am.

Even better, move the booze cruise to 9am, dump the 10 o'clock hour (in favor of anything else, it really doesn't matter) and condense 3 drawn-out hours into 2 slightly stretched hours. KLG and Hoda at 9 would be better competition to Kelly and Michael and the late hour of (several) Fox affiliates.

I don't really think that the Today Show can regain the momentum it has lost- at least in the short term. To me, the cracks started appearing when Meredith left the show and ever since, those cracks have gotten bigger. While NBC/Today handled the Ann Curry situation badly, the fact of the matter was that change was needed and quite frankly Ann never fit into the main anchor spot/role. I don't know what NBC's vision for the Today show is now, but if they are thinking long term in regards to the amount of time that it will take them to be #1 again, then they are better off blowing the whole team up and starting fresh.

Obviously they are in a lot of trouble when it comes to the ratings...This isn't something that a new set or graphics will fix. However I don't think the whole team should be canned because a lot of times that does more bad than good. It started when Ann Curry came in,but people liked her and did not like the way she was treated. The dark cloud over the show really is Matt Lauer, he was good when he first started but now he thinks he's bigger than he really is.. Good Morning America is enjoyable to watch, they try to hard on TODAY and it shows and they are trying to appear to a younger audience..I personally don't watch the national shows I actually like Good Day NY..but thats just my opinion

Guest NewsHound

Matt Lauer's ego needs to be inflated. His arrogance began to appear more so when Katie left in 2006. The show is unwatchable.

You know why right? Because Katie Couric also has an attitude and arrogance underneath her smile and perkiness. That's why she is a troll. She kept him in line because she felt she was superior, she knew his personality and it was evident many times during the Lauer-Couric era that she tried and ran that show. Since she left, Lauer wasn't being held back anymore from trying to act like a boss. That's the problem, the arrogance has always been there for Matt Lauer, but Katie Couric held the whip. Now he's running wild, nobody is holding the whip anymore.

You know why right? Because Katie Couric also has an attitude and arrogance underneath her smile and perkiness. That's why she is a troll. She kept him in line because she felt she was superior, she knew his personality and it was evident many times during the Lauer-Couric era that she tried and ran that show. Since she left, Lauer wasn't being held back anymore from trying to act like a boss. That's the problem, the arrogance has always been there for Matt Lauer, but Katie Couric held the whip. Now he's running wild, nobody is holding the whip anymore.

Yeah it was evident that Katie felt superior to the others on the program. Bryant Gumbel came off that way as well. Maybe it's something that comes with a long tenure on a program that basically worships you as Lauer, Gumbel and Couric were.

Guest NewsHound

Yeah it was evident that Katie felt superior to the others on the program. Bryant Gumbel came off that way as well. Maybe it's something that comes with a long tenure on a program that basically worships you as Lauer, Gumbel and Couric were.

Well, many sources have been claiming for a long time that Lauer could be replaced with someone much younger, lots of fingers pointing to Ryan Seacrest. When Lauer signed his extension to his contract, that died any talks that he would be replaced. That is the mistake NBC made, offering him an extension. There were a LOT of better candidates for that role, I would have actually liked to see Lester Holt on Today even if it was on an interim-basis. The issue is, Lauer is getting older, he isn't youthful like he once was, and he's balding. He has an arrogance about him that is bringing down the ratings, and everyone will say it has everything to do with the Ann Curry/Savannah Guthrie debacle, but no it always has been and always will be Matt Lauer. His off-color remarks behind camera and his superiority on camera brings down the morale of the whole program.

Archived