Nexstar acquires the ComCorp stations.

CircleSeven

Nexstar will no doubt be playing the Mission card in Midland/Odessa. Also in El Paso, Titan could also be on the block too, so Nexstar could be playing the Mission card to get KDBC to keep the LMA with KTSM.

Midland/Odessa: I'm thinking that Nexstar might have more incentive to upgrade the two stations with the purchase

El Paso: Looks like KTSM will say goodbye to 'Look A' and hello to 'Look G'

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nexstar Broadcasting is poised to buy Communications Corp. of America, TVNewsCheck reports.

The company has signed a letter of intent and is in the process of conducting due diligence on “12 stations in smaller markets” :CCA stations are in markets ranging Shreveport, La. (DMA 82), to Alexandria, La. (DMA 179). Nexstar’s portfolio ranges from Washington (DMA 8) to St. Joseph, Mo. (DMA 201).

Most are in mid-size to smaller markets. TVNewsCheck reports the two companies hope to make a formal announcement by April 6.

The acquisition would boost Nexstar’s station count to roughly 84, bump up its duopoly count by at least one and enhance its already strong presence in Louisiana and Texas.

Things could get interesting in Evansville...IF Nexstar or any of their shells gets their hands on WEVV, they could pluck away the CBS or FOX affiliation and put it on WTVW.

With the recent reports that the FCC is taking a second look at "virtual" duopolies, I don't see Nexstar pushing the envelope right now with a "virtual" triopoly.

That being said, they might could use the leverage of a pending sale to convince CBS to affiliate with WTVW. Not a likely scenario, but worth mentioning.

I don't think they'll try to get Fox back after all the drama surrounding the affiliation switch in 2010.

I'm thinking the opposite. This is probably unlikely, but whenever the contract expires, I would love to see ABC move back to its old channel. Yes, I want to see that circle seven shining again on WTVW, like it was prior to the 1990s. Then WTVW & WEHT can switch frequencies in the process, WTVW can move back physically on 7. And WEHT 25 can operate on channel 28. Then maybe CBS can take over WEHT and Fox can occupy WEVV all by itself. CW don't count because I don't see a future for that netlet.

EDIT: Here's today's B&C article about the matter. Sinclair also had a bid for the ComCorp stations, as Pruett, the new COO of the new Sinclair subsidiary use to be the VP of ComCorp. But the formality is that Nexstar is putting that "in writing".

With the recent reports that the FCC is taking a second look at "virtual" duopolies' date=' I don't see Nexstar pushing the envelope right now with a "virtual"[i'] triopoly[/i].

That being said, they might could use the leverage of a pending sale to convince CBS to affiliate with WTVW. Not a likely scenario, but worth mentioning.

I don't think they'll try to get Fox back after all the drama surrounding the affiliation switch in 2010.

Nexstar already pushed the envelope with a virtual quadropoly: they paired two legal duopolies in Little Rock together late last year in such a fashion, they already owned KARK and KARZ, while it purchased KLRT and KASN from Newport and sent them to Mission. Even though the FCC is considering action to bar virtual duopolies, Nexstar and Sinclair clearly are brushing it off and creating new virtual duopolies, triopolies and quadropolies, in spite of it.

Nexstar already pushed the envelope with a virtual quadropoly: they paired two legal duopolies in Little Rock together late last year in such a fashion, they already owned KARK and KARZ, while it purchased KLRT and KASN from Newport and sent them to Mission. Even though the FCC is considering action to bar virtual duopolies, Nexstar and Sinclair clearly are brushing it off and creating new virtual duopolies, triopolies and quadropolies, in spite of it.

Yes, but Little Rock is a mid-sized market (DMA 56) where Nexstar controls 2 of the "big 4" affiliates and 2 low-rated netlets (out of 10 OTA signals).

In Evansville, if they are allowed to keep WEVV, they would essentially dominate DMA 104 - out of only 5 OTA signals (WTVW, WEHT, WEVV, WNIN & WFIE), they would control 3 of them. That doesn't even pass the smell test and I can't see Raycom quietly allowing it to happen.

Besides, they just won a battle over essentially the same set-up in Fort Wayne - are they really willing to risk being on the losing end of another one?

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Nexstar has begun laying off staff at KTSM. Dan O'Rourke announced that he was laid off on his Facebook fan page.

Dear friends, thank you all for your friendship and wonderful support. Not by my own decision, I am leaving KTSM. I love El Paso and I wish you all the very best in your lives. God bless you and your families, now and always.

We don't know if he will be the only one laid off or if there will be more.

Looks like Nexstar has begun laying off staff at KTSM. Dan O'Rourke announced that he was laid off on his Facebook fan page.

We don't know if he will be the only one laid off or if there will be more.

WHOA! I didn't know that Nexstar Broadcasting has taken over all Com-Corp Stations already! Was their any paperwork filed with the FCC regarding this??? Last I heard was it was announcing it.

WHOA! I didn't know that Nexstar Broadcasting has taken over all Com-Corp Stations already! Was their any paperwork filed with the FCC regarding this??? Last I heard was it was announcing it.

It's more likely that ComCorp is laying off staff in advance...trying to cull payroll and expenses before Nexstar has the chance to do it themselves.

Usually, they'll announce it (which they'll haven't done so, though they promised to do so during the NAB Show but didn't). Then a few days later, the FCC application paperwork (Form 314, sometimes 315) would be posted, sometimes each stations paperwork is posted (because each station's licensee titles are different, others be filed by one station and then posted with multiple stations shown if each share the same licensee title). Then it would take normally 2-6 months for the FCC to grant those applications (it could always be longer if someone makes a formal complaint). Should the FCC grant those applications, the new licensee that's assigning/transferring has 90 days to consummate the transaction. But sometimes they can always ask for 'Extention of Consummation' to get an extention of time. But with these big deals, they rarely file them. Sometimes if the FCC hasn't acted on it for more then six months, and should they greenlight it. The money transaction would already be done, and it get consummated within days and not weeks.

The new thing is I guess they're writing 'due diligence', so it can be more of a stamp of 'I dibs it first' mentality, so others won't come on the fold. So when we hear Nexstar is poised to get this company, pretty much a done deal before they make a formal announcement.

It's more likely that ComCorp is laying off staff in advance...trying to cull payroll and expenses before Nexstar has the chance to do it themselves.

What I would like Nexstar, even though this would be a longshot, but to strengthen the News Departments in Tyler, Baton Rouge & El Paso and have something for some of the other cities that ComCorp haven't had success in having. Even if you have those cities to have news updates in the other cities in the interim.

Nexstar Broadcasting Group announced Wednesday that it and Mission Broadcasting Inc. are acquiring the stock of privately-held Communications Corp. of America and White Knight Broadcasting, the owners of 19 television stations and seven associated digital subchannels in 10 markets, for a total of $270 million in a transaction that is expected to be immediately accretive to Nexstar upon closing.

A lot more on this story is on TVNewsCheck site.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/67066/nexstar-mission-buy-19-stations-for-270m/page/1

WEVV in Evansville is indeed on the list. That would give Nexstar/Mission control of THREE tv stations (WTVW/WEHT/WEVV), and FIVE networks! (ABC/CBS/FOX/MNTV/CW). I"m curious to see how they will pull off a triopoly in this market, even with Mission already calling the shots at WTVW.

They would be fools to keep WTVW as a CW station if they actually get their hands on WEVV and CBS/FOX/MNTV.

I was hoping they wouldn't get WEVV. Having that combination of WTVW, WEHT and WEVV is simply obscene considering the way the market is set up.

Well,this sounds like an Evansville Triopoly is being planned out accordingly! It's not even funny at all, especially when you have all

five Television Stations in Evansville (minus the NBC affiliate) owned and or operated by Nexstar and Mission. Just remember the Topeka, Kansas Market when the NBC/FOX affiliates that were owned and operated by New Vision Television and the ABC affiliate was owned by the shell broadcasting group called PBC Broadcasting until the merger with LIN Television Group. I physically understand the situation and the heavy duty content of ownership changes but folks,Nexstar could do better with ownership rules and regulations, and I wish they could be by the book with the FCC rules of owning one television station in the smaller markets. The Kansas City Media market is a very good example because it has different owners minus the SSA/JSA material.

WEVV in Evansville is indeed on the list. That would give Nexstar/Mission control of THREE tv stations (WTVW/WEHT/WEVV), and FIVE networks! (ABC/CBS/FOX/MNTV/CW). I"m curious to see how they will pull off a triopoly in this market, even with Mission already calling the shots at WTVW.

They would be fools to keep WTVW as a CW station if they actually get their hands on WEVV and CBS/FOX/MNTV.

Agreed! It's going to be the triopoly scenario in evansville, just like topeka and its three way fiesta. Especially where Mission gets the WEVV license with Nexstar getting the triopoly set up. It's starting to look like an very bad day.

Well' date='this sounds like an Evansville Triopoly is being planned out accordingly! It's not even funny at all, especially when you have all

five Television Stations in Evansville (minus the NBC affiliate) owned and or operated by Nexstar and Mission. Just remember the Topeka, Kansas Market when the NBC/FOX affiliates that were owned and operated by New Vision Television and the ABC affiliate was owned by the shell broadcasting group called PBC Broadcasting until the merger with LIN Television Group. I physically understand the situation and the heavy duty content of ownership changes but folks,Nexstar could do better with ownership rules and regulations, and I wish they could be by the book with the FCC rules of owning one television station in the smaller markets. The Kansas City Media market is a very good example because it has different owners minus the SSA/JSA material.

Agreed! It's going to be the triopoly scenario in evansville, just like topeka and its three way fiesta. Especially where Mission gets the WEVV license with Nexstar getting the triopoly set up. It's starting to look like an very bad day.

One difference between the Topeka situation and the Evansville one is that one of those Topeka TV stations is an LPTV (KTMJ-Fox 43). Unless I'm mistaken, in the eyes of the FCC, a group can own as many LPTVs in one market as they want, (no matter what network affiliation an LPTV station may or may/not have).

Evansville is different in that all three stations are full-power. Either WTVW or WEVV is going to have to be spun off, or a third party will be brought in for one of the stations. This third party could hold the license of the station, but have Nexstar or Mission operate it.

There's also the 'failed station waiver' scenario, but I'll doubt it will happen in a market the size of Evansville.

And if not already mentioned...Shreveport, LA is in a similar situation. Nexstar owns KTAL-NBC 6, while ComCorp. and White Knight have KMSS-Fox 33 and KSHV-My 45.

One difference between the Topeka situation and the Evansville one is that one of those Topeka TV stations is an LPTV (KTMJ-Fox 43). Unless I'm mistaken, in the eyes of the FCC, a group can own as many LPTVs in one market as they want, (no matter what network affiliation an LPTV station may or may/not have).

Evansville is different in that all three stations are full-power. Either WTVW or WEVV is going to have to be spun off, or a third party will be brought in for one of the stations. This third party could hold the license of the station, but have Nexstar or Mission operate it.

There's also the 'failed station waiver' scenario, but I'll doubt it will happen in a market the size of Evansville.

And if not already mentioned...Shreveport, LA is in a similar situation. Nexstar owns KTAL-NBC 6, while ComCorp. and White Knight have KMSS-Fox 33 and KSHV-My 45.

Understand, I'm pretty much sure that you are correct about the Topeka, Kansas Triopoly, KTMJ-FOX43 is a low power digital station.

I changed the heading of this thread to go with yesterday's official announcement.

The Evansville & Shreveport situations have already been addressed on this thread. He's right. The Topeka situation is legal because KTMJ is a CD station, Class A Low-Power Digital. There's no limitations. But since Topeka has fewer than eight stations, that's why LIN used the 'Vaughan' card for KTKA. But WEVV, WTVW & WEHT are all full-power stations. If you think there won't be any anti-trust issues, look at Little Rock's channels' 4, 16, 38 & 42. But the only difference is that Little Rock have several of full-power stations, while in little Evansville, they are too few media properties in Evansville, so they would be taking a good chunk of the market's revenue. I would love to see what Raycom & WFIE 14 have anything to say about this.

I'm interested in looking at the FCC Assignment of License applications when it comes out, and we will see if they'll play the 'fail waiver' card or a new 'shell' card on WEVV and one of the Shreveport stations.

I changed the heading of this thread to go with yesterday's official announcement.

The Evansville & Shreveport situations have already been addressed on this thread. He's right. The Topeka situation is legal because KTMJ is a CD station, Class A Low-Power Digital. There's no limitations. But since Topeka has fewer than eight stations, that's why LIN used the 'Vaughan' card for KTKA. But WEVV, WTVW & WEHT are all full-power stations. If you think there won't be any anti-trust issues, look at Little Rock's channels' 4, 16, 38 & 42. But the only difference is that Little Rock have several of full-power stations, while in little Evansville, they are too few media properties in Evansville, so they would be taking a good chunk of the market's revenue. I would love to see what Raycom & WFIE 14 have anything to say about this.

I'm interested in looking at the FCC Assignment of License applications when it comes out, and we will see if they'll play the 'fail waiver' card or a new 'shell' card on WEVV and one of the Shreveport stations.

You are correct on the 'Vaughan' card for KTKA-TV. However, it does not make sense that three stations are being owned and or operated by Nexstar and its shell corporation.

WEVV is *far* from a failed station, I don't see them qualifying under that statute at all. I would not be surprised if Raycom files suit to try to force divestiture of WEVV (if not to them, then to someone).

Could a company "tank" one it's own stations (cut or bloat the staff, refuse commercials, air color bars, etc....) just for the sole purpose of starving it of revenue, so it could be considered as "failing?"

I wouldn't put it past someone just so they could make it a target.

Is it possible that IF WTVW gets the CBS station (Simulcasts the 5, 6 & 10pm news from WEHT), and WEVV switch to The CW under Nexstar's control?

I don't know about switching affiliations after 1995. besides if WTVW does get the CBS affiliation, it would have to air the 5,6 and 10pm newscasts. I physically would like to see WEVV work on getting newscasts under Nexstar's control.

The Paperwork Is Up!!!!

Here's The Thorough Breakdown List of the consent to assign the licenses of the stations of the Communications Corporation of America to Nexstar Broadcasting Group, including the station lineup and the purchase agreement, which Nexstar will be paying ComCorp $270M. Nexstar will purchase all of the ComCorp's stock. Mission will purchase all the White Knight's stock. All the paperwork (which was made on April 24, the day Nexstar announced the deal) was posted minutes after midnight (5/6/13) on the FCC site.

Let's break down the proposed new station licensee assignments.

The following ComCorp proper stations will be assigned to Nexstar proper.

KVEO (NBC) Brownsville

KTSM (NBC) El Paso

KETK (NBC) Jacksonville-Tyler - continue to be the sister of KFXK/KTPN

KWKT (Fox/MyN) Waco

KYLE (Fox/MyN) Bryan

KADN (Fox) Lafayette - ComCorp's Flaggy

KLAF-LD (MyN) Lafayette

WNTZ (Fox) Natchez, MS-Alexandria, LA

WGMB (Fox) Baton Rouge - continue to be the sister of WVLA/KZUP

WBRL-CD (CW) Baton Rouge - continue to be the sister of WVLA/KZUP

The following ComCorp proper stations will be assigned to Mission.

KPEJ (Fox) Odessa-Midland - Will be the sister to KMID

KMSS (Fox) Shreveport - Will be the sister to KTAL

The following White Knight stations will be assigned to Mission.

KFXK (Fox) Longview - continue to be the sister of KETK

KFXL-LD (Fox) Lufkin - continue to be the sister of KETK

KTPN-LD (MyN) Tyler - continue to be the sister of KETK

KLPN-LD (MyN) Longview - continue to be the sister of KETK

WVLA (NBC) Baton Rouge - continue to be the sister of WGMB/WBRL

KZUP-CD (Ind.) Baton Rouge - continue to be the sister of WGMB/WBRL

NEW INFO!!!!!

And its not Shield Media, which I thought they were going to use to run WEVV or KSHV, which I stated earlier on this thread. And they will not be using any 'failed station waivers' either.

It appears that Nexstar has formed a new shell corporation. In contrast to Sinclair forming a Black-runned shell, Nexstar will form another female-controlled shell. As you know, Nancie Smith runs Mission Broadcasting, after her husband David S. Smith (not the unrelated David D. Smith that owns Sinclair) passed away a couple of years ago. The new shell company will be called Rocky Creek Communications of Denton, Texas. Denton is another community outside of Dallas, just like Irving, where Nexstar is headquartered. Shirley Green will be the new President & CEO of this new Rocky Creek venture.

The following ComCorp/White Knight stations will be assigned to Rocky Creek.

KSHV (MyN) Shreveport - Will be the sister to KTAL

WEVV (CBS/Fox/MyN) Evansville - Will be the sister to WEHT/WTVW

ComCorp will assign the license of WEVV to Nexstar. White Knight will assign the license of KSHV to Mission. In turn, Rocky Creek will acquire the licenses of both WEVV & KSHV from Nexstar & Mission, for a total of $16.8M ($14.7M for WEVV & $2.1M for KSHV). Nexstar will operate these new Rocky Creek Stations under agreements of shared services, sale of commercial time, option agreement, and to assist on Rocky Creek's debt, should any of that comes about.

Should it be finalized, it is unclear if KMSS/KSHV will be moving to the KTAL facilities in Shreveport or if WEVV will have to close shop and move to the WEHT/WTVW facilities in Evansville. Since what happened in Little Rock, I do sense that it will no doubt happen in this case. Also will we finally see local news again on WEVV? I hope that will be the case. With the heavy investments Nexstar has done in Utah & Memphis, I hope they will do some heavy investments in the ComCorp markets, specifically Baton Rouge, El Paso & Tyler.

This will take at least several weeks (or longer) for the FCC to approve this Nexstar/ComCorp acquisition. This will be Nexstar's second acquisition in Evansville since they bought Gilmore's final station WEHT and the sixth acquisition since the WFRV/WJMN Liberty Acquisition in 2011 (then, Gilmore's WEHT, Newport's 15, Smith's Vermont stations, Granite's KSEE and now, the ComCorp stations).

Now here's a pipe dream. I was wondering if Mission can buy Waco's KXXV/KRHD from Drewry, then London could buy the rest of the Drewry stations. And if they could scrape up few chump change to get Ramar's Lubbock cluster, the London could overwhelming gain a foothold of nearly all the Texas markets (excluding Houston, Austin & San Antonio), except for the Sherman-Ada, OK market.

And another pipe dream. I stated earlier on this thread. But if certain affil agreements get exhausted, I would love to see affiliation assignments pre-1994 move again. WTVW returning as an ABC affiliate, switch the facilities, so ABC will return on WTVW 7 on RF 7 (and the resurrection of the Circle 7 Logo), CBS can be moved to WEHT 25 on RF 28 then Fox can return on 44.1 then the CW can be moved to 44.2. But Since Nexstar doesn't really keen much to subchannels if this station wants it, I would love to see the CW affiliation moved to WFIE's subchannel.

One more thing. Which is the next group to go on the block. We know Local TV is of course also on the block. We know Titan & Fisher is going in the shelves of Sinclair. Grant could also be on the block as well. Granite has a great chance there will be going on the block, since their parent is Silver Point Capital (also the parent of ComCorp). I also don't think Young will last either. If Nexstar have a chance to go back to Albany, they should be the first to get WTEN/WXXA. Cox should get WKRN. And whoever has the money to pony up and acquire KRON 4.

Archived