Nexstar acquires the ComCorp stations.

CircleSeven

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.comcorpusa.com/stations

Heaven forbid, but the way the ComCorp stations are clustered, Nexstar/Mission could easily buy them.

Let me remind you, there's already a Nexstar/Mission Alliance in one of those markets (Evansville) and owns one station in two other markets (Midland & Shreveport). This should be open season for London to grab some cheedar. Obviously not Tyler since he has a duopoly there (KYTX/KCEB). But possibly in Midland, Rio Grande Valley (Barrington also have a station in that market) & El Paso (Cox has a station also on the block).

Alright, so now I really have to ask, but why do we all hate Sinclair and Nexstar so much?

Sorry.

Plain and simple, MidwestTV, They're money-hungry behemoths, when a TV station is placed on the block, Sinclair and Nexstar will do anything to try to snatch up as many stations as they can, mainly for the sole purpose of creating JSAs/SSAs with a another station and owning 2 or 3 out of the 4 highest ranked stations in any market (something that is forbidden under FCC rules), therefore leaving other medium and small station broadcast groups (excuding Disney, CBS Corporation, NBCUniversal, News Corp, and Univision) out of the process. To recap: Sinclair already bought the stations from Cerebus Capital Management's Four Points Media Group and Freedom Communcations. Also, Sinclair (along with Nexstar) acquired plenty of stations from Newport Television. So, to sum it up, Sinclair and Nexstar are just plain bad.

Plain and simple, MidwestTV, They're money-hungry behemoths, when a TV station is placed on the block, Sinclair and Nexstar will do anything to try to snatch up as many stations as they can, mainly for the sole purpose of creating JSAs/SSAs with a another station and owning 2 or 3 out of the 4 highest ranked stations in any market (something that is forbidden under FCC rules), therefore leaving other medium and small station broadcast groups (excuding Disney, CBS Corporation, NBCUniversal, News Corp, and Univision) out of the process. To recap: Sinclair already bought the stations from Cerebus Capital Management's Four Points Media Group and Freedom Communcations. Also, Sinclair (along with Nexstar) acquired plenty of stations from Newport Television. So, to sum it up, Sinclair and Nexstar are just plain bad.

Sorry, that's an incredibly lame excuse.

If some of the other ownership groups had wanted the stations, they would put their money where their interest is. They haven't.

The mere fact that Nexstar and Sinclair are on a buying spree does not automatically make them "bad." They both have a multitude of negatives beyond simply buying stations:

Sinclair because they're a "Fox News" wannabe, foisting a nightly right-wing commentary and "special programming" onto their stations. Not even the Fox Television Stations group does that.

Nexstar because they cut expenses down to the bare bones when they take over. But then again, what TV station group hasn't been doing that in the last decade?

Let me remind you, there's already a Nexstar/Mission Alliance in one of those markets (Evansville) and owns one station in two other markets (Midland & Shreveport). This should be open season for London to grab some cheedar. Obviously not Tyler since he has a duopoly there (KYTX/KCEB). But possibly in Midland, Rio Grande Valley (Barrington also have a station in that market) & El Paso (Cox has a station also on the block).

I live near Midland, and get the their locals as well as Abilene locals. I really hope somebody that is known for commissioning news departments buys FOX 24. They have the potential, but we'll just have to wait and see.

So, if one or both of the company's buy a TV station then cut practically all expenses for the station......then why buy them? I would imagine that, if anything, the two companies would almost be BROKE because of all the money they're having to shell out, then having to try and cut costs everywhere to make up for it. That's why I honestly keep waiting for one or both of them to just randomly sell 5-15 stations.

Oh I have no doubt they're very near being broke, or in financial terms "over-leveraged." Both have teetered on the edge of bankruptcy in the last decade (ish).

And cutting expenses is a no brainer. The previous group owner might have some entrenched expenses (over-paid talent, an ad agency contract that's never been renegotiated), whatever. They also may look at the books and see that there's not an ROI on certain programming (newscasts, etc).

Plus, combining operations with another station in the market allows for sharing of certain expenses (no need for two master control ops when computers allow you to broadcast two separate program streams out of the same building...or two newscast directing staff when one can handle X-number of newscasts during his/her shift...no need for two fully staffed newsrooms) and the doubling of ad revenue.

Judging from my last visit up to the Evansville DMA, Nexstar has cut out little things on their stations. WEHT owns it's own Enterprise Doppler radar system, but the combined ops were using the NWS scope out of Gibson County, IN. Now, I don't think Nexstar has gotten rid of the system but the weather department may be under orders to fire it up only during severe (thunderstorm) weather (there was a major snow storm when i visited) to save on electricity expenses. Under Gilmore ownership, WEHT ran it pretty much constantly (WTVW didn't own it's own doppler).

Comcorp operates some very Nexstar-like arrangements, but on a much tighter budget. The one that comes to mind for me is WVLA and WGMB in Baton Rouge. I wonder if Nexstar/Mission would actually consider buying that. Nexstar however would need to make significant investment in WVLA to restore locally-produced news to the station, and I don't know if being third fiddle such as WVLA has always been is what they want.

Comcorp operates some very Nexstar-like arrangements, but on a much tighter budget. The one that comes to mind for me is WVLA and WGMB in Baton Rouge. I wonder if Nexstar/Mission would actually consider buying that. Nexstar however would need to make significant investment in WVLA to restore locally-produced news to the station, and I don't know if being third fiddle such as WVLA has always been is what they want.

I thought WVLA's newscasts were produced in Baton Rouge. I know that KETK/Tyler once produced newscasts for WVLA beginning in 2009, but didn't the station take over production of its newscasts once again during the BP oil spill.

BTW, does anyone think that Tom Benson's Louisiana Media Company (owners of WVUE) might be interested in ComCorp's Louisiana stations?

BTW, does anyone think that Tom Benson's Louisiana Media Company (owners of WVUE) might be interested in ComCorp's Louisiana stations?

I read somewhere that he was going to expand after acquiring Channel 8, growing into the radio & television chain, but it hasn't happen yet. And I don't think it will happen now. Plus, isn't he 85? And who will take over if Benson croaks?

Maybe Cox, LIN, London or any other broadcasting company would buy the stations, but you better hope and pray it's not either Sinclair and Nexstar.

I read Jake's Blog and someone commented, suggesting that LIN should get WEVV, since LIN pretty much owns almost every CBS affil in the state (except for Schurz's WSBT in the Bend). If LIN can buy the station and have capital and reinstate its newscast on 44, that would be golden. But I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

Cox has plans to sell KFOX 14 and anything below the Dayton market, so it's a strong doubt that Cox would touch any of the ComCorp stations. What I said eariler about the London situation, it is open season. London could buy either KFOX or KTSM in El Paso, KGBT (since Barrington is also divesting) or KVEO in the Rio Grande Valley.

I have a strong feeling Nexstar might take WVLA/WGMB. They'll probably do a better job operating those two stations. I was going to say if London doesn't want KPEJ in Odessa, Nexstar would probably play the Mission card to get that station and be a duo with KMID Big 2 in Midland.

I could see London's partner National Communications acquire the smaller Louisiana stations, WNTZ & KADN/KLAF or Thomas Galloway can sell KADN and KLAF to his kin-folk Sheldon under his Shield banner and become sister to KLFY 10.

Things could get even trickier in the Shreveport market where you have KMSS & KSHV, and you have a Raycom station (KSLA) & Nexstar station (KTAL). It could be a possibility that either one could acquire one of each (using their respecting shells), breaking the two channels apart, or another firm getting the duopoly, keeping them together.

Well we might have ourselves another new station group in our hands soon. First Alchemedia, now this.

B&C states this afternoon that a new venture might be in the works that will focus solely on the smaller markets. The current CEO of ComCorp, Steve Pruett will orchestrate the formation process of this new group. The guy that backs this new venture is none other than Sinclair's head honcho David Smith.

B&C states that this new 'untitled' privatized company, will operate separately from Sinclair, but "would conceivably share some of the efficiencies of the group" (that's a red flag right there). The new venture is seeking at least 20 stations in the coming months. With Barrington & ComCorp divesting, Cox divesting some, possibly Fisher, and if Sinclair or Nexstar wants to dump some of their lower market stations, this new group could have some potential. But we all need to watch this very carefully.

• 3 weeks later...

And now we have a third potentially new station group. Alchemedia, Pruett's new venture, now TVNewsCheck has posted that we have a new group forming. Huntington Broadcast Management Group, being backed by Taliwind Capitol of New York and being advised by EFA Partners. It will be operated by Robert "Dave" McCurdy & David Tynan and this group will also be seeking stations in mid to smaller markets, and hoping to get stations that could get spun off from the other groups.

• 1 month later...

From this TVNewsCheck article today, it looks like Nexstar is closing in on acquiring the ComCorp stations. They're hoping to make a formal announcement during the NAB show within the next two weeks.

What they're going to do in Evansville? They can't legally get WEVV while they already have WEHT/WTVW.

From this TVNewsCheck article today, it looks like Nexstar is closing in on acquiring the ComCorp stations. They're hoping to make a formal announcement during the NAB show within the next two weeks.

What they're going to do in Evansville? They can't legally get WEVV while they already have WEHT/WTVW.

The same situation in Shreveport, CCA owns KMSS and manages KSHV. Nexstar is probably going to create a second shell or use CCA's existing shell White Knight.

Does that mean that Nexstar is going to buy KPEJ and form a duopoly with KMID?

Does that mean that Nexstar is going to buy KPEJ and form a duopoly with KMID?

Nexstar will no doubt be playing the Mission card in Midland/Odessa. Also in El Paso, Titan could also be on the block too, so Nexstar could be playing the Mission card to get KDBC to keep the LMA with KTSM.

The same situation in Shreveport, CCA owns KMSS and manages KSHV. Nexstar is probably going to create a second shell or use CCA's existing shell White Knight.

I'm thinking this:

The "White Knight" might sail away through the horizon, but he might leave his "Shield" there. HINT HINT.

Archived