KPIX drops Eyewitness News Brand

Andrew2016

Yup...they did it after early prime. Around 1994/1995 just before they switched to the 1996-2013 logo.

Nice to see the original Group W '5' back. The new GM, Bruno Cohen, was the News Director there in the 80s. At that time they started emphasizing 'KPIX' in the logo, though still called it Eyewitness News.

This move has his fingerprints on it.

What do you mean "back"? According to logo.wikia the Group W '5' has been in place since 1970 something. And I haven't seen it go anywhere! I mean, it slightly better, but almost identical.

On a side note, I might want to drop the K from 'KPIX' and just call it 'PIX 5'. What, is Tribune going to sue? Opposite coast people!

What do you mean "back"? According to logo.wikia the Group W '5' has been in place since 1970 something. And I haven't seen it go anywhere! I mean, it slightly better, but almost identical.

On a side note, I might want to drop the K from 'KPIX' and just call it 'PIX 5'. What, is Tribune going to sue? Opposite coast people!

He's talking about the original "5" design, which is more authentic than the one they use for over 16 years.

Kpix_cbs5.pngKPIX-TV_Logo.png

I would love for them to blow up the full Group W Typeface, and send the "1" & "3" to WJZ so they can finally bring back the authenticity of the 13 logo. Not that retraced logo they're using now.

He's talking about the original "5" design, which is more authentic than the one they use for over 16 years.

I would love to them to blow up the full Group W Typeface, and send the "1" & "3" to WJZ so they can finally bring back the authenticity of the 13 logo. Not that retraced logo they're using now.

I totally agree with what you said about WJZ's logo. I think they should've kept the original logo rather than switch to that retraced piece of crap in the first place.

I would love to them to blow up the full Group W Typeface, and send the "1" & "3" to WJZ so they can finally bring back the authenticity of the 13 logo. Not that retraced logo they're using now.

That retraced "5" looks an awful lot like the crappy Anklepants font.

I hadn't realized that WJZ's current "13" is a retracing of the original. But I don't know how they can revert without changing the graphics... and there's only ONE way they can go in that regard...

!!!!!!!!!!!

KDKA-TV needs to follow KPIX's lead with the logo design, NOW!!!

I don't quite understand. Does the Group W font represent a better time in ratings? Or is it just nostalgia?

Personally, while I think the font is very unique looking, It does not seem to fall inline at all with the CBS look. And frankly, it is kind of out dated. I like it, but I don't think going retro is the best idea.

I don't quite understand. Does the Group W font represent a better time in ratings? Or is it just nostalgia?

Personally, while I think the font is very unique looking, It does not seem to fall inline at all with the CBS look. And frankly, it is kind of out dated. I like it, but I don't think going retro is the best idea.

In terms of ratings, not really, as KDKA was and still is the #1 station in Pittsburgh, but it also has some nostalgia. KDKA dropped the font in 2003. Considering KDKA was the home of Group W, they deserve to continue using the Westinghouse font at least for the "2". Their current logo just looks so bland and boring, especially compared to the logos used on WTAE and WPXI, which are unique as well. Bringing back the classic font would make the logo stand out a little more.

Archived