KPIX drops Eyewitness News Brand

Andrew2016

I think if KPIX switched back to the Group W font, chances are KYW might go Back to KYW 3 Eyewitness News, not to mention shift back to the Group W font 3 and bring back a remix of the KYW theme they had until Early January 2003. But I'm not holding my breath here

Things always happen when I'm away, no matter where I go.

It also looks like Elizabeth Cook has been named co-anchor of the 11pm news after Dana King left to pursue her art career. I'll miss Dana...

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2013/02/05/elizabeth-cook-named-co-anchor-for-11pm-news-on-kpix-5/

As for the branding change, I'm a bit puzzled. I'm glad to see Eyewitness News go away, as it felt old hat to me, but if they were to change to anything, I would've guessed they would switch to CBS 5 News before KPIX 5.

KPIX is not one for big press releases or media blitzes, so here's an explanation from their Facebook page:

Thanks for noticing! We’re excited about bringing the legacy KPIX call letters back into our CBS 5 television brand. Many Bay Area residents grew up watching “KPIX” and have always referred to our station that way.

We premiered our updated logo on Super Bowl Sunday and will be revising everything as we move forward.

Isn't the GM at KPIX the guy that brought "WBZ" back in Boston? That might explain it. Still, it's interesting that all of the Group Ws save KYW are using somewhat close to their traditional branding.

So I guess the question is whether "KYW-3" comes back. I'm kind of mixed on that.

I like heritage branding, but honestly, "CBS 3" is an extremely strong brand now. Part of it is that they're using their talent on every orifice of CBS' Philadelphia media outlets, but part of it is that they really managed to create a strong identity in its own right. If anything, KYW radio is reliant on CBS 3, and not the other way around.

Reviving KYW-3 would be cool, but would it make sense? I don't think it would. Especially when the end product will still be these graphics, and still use Enforcer. Better let sleeping dogs lie in this case.

EDIT: Oh crap, they have Paul Deanno now, don't they! God dammit he was awesome at KYW...

Isn't the GM at KPIX the guy that brought "WBZ" back in Boston? That might explain it. Still, it's interesting that all of the Group Ws save KYW are using somewhat close to their traditional branding.

...which I think is a peculiar move. It made sense to switch back to WBZ because they used it almost consistently until 2003, and the TV station also has two radio stations that share the same callsign. KPIX, while it is a recognizable callsign, has not been used since the mid-90s, and I think most people have gotten to know it as CBS 5 since then.

I'd be interested to see what else is in store for KPIX. I'd be pretty confident in betting that the O&O graphics aren't going anywhere. The recent morning news promos they've been running have also been pretty nice, if that counts for anything.

As of Sunday, KPIX dropped the it's longtime "Eyewitness News" brand and rebranded it's newscasts as "KPIX 5 News". KPIX is no longer following the CBS Mandate.

What do you mean, "KPIX is no longer following the CBS Mandate?" As I know, CBS doesn't have a mandate requiring O&O's to go by the Eyewitness News moniker. The Eyewitness News name at KYW is only a coincidence. All other CBS O&Os go by "CBS # News" or "(Call Letter) News".

Has there been any rumblings about re-doing the O&O graphics package for stations? It's truly abysmal.

If they don't, I will. I have an idea to tie the whole network look together.

Can't speak for San Fran, but I know from growing up in New York and Houston, the Eyewitness News brands are very strong and prominent there. People have a connection with Eyewitness News, I think it's an amazing identifier. Always seems as if you know you can trust whatever is coming from Eyewitness News.

What do you mean' date=' "KPIX is no longer following the CBS Mandate?" As I know, CBS doesn't have a mandate requiring O&O's to go by the Eyewitness News moniker. The Eyewitness News name at KYW is only a coincidence. All other CBS O&Os go by "CBS # News" or "(Call Letter) News".

FWIU, the so-called CBS Mandate refers to CBS O&O stations calling themselves "CBS (channel number)" for their on-air branding, news or general use.

FWIU, the so-called CBS Mandate refers to CBS O&O stations calling themselves "CBS (channel number)" for their on-air branding, news or general use.

Right, the CBS mandate has nothing to do with the Eyewitness News branding. Althought I must say that I am shocked that they dropped both the CBS part as well as the Eyewitness part. I thought both went well for KPIX. I hope CBS3 does not go back to KYW-3. While the KYW moniker has history to it and gives it a local feel, the only thing I remember about it is the third place ranking that came along with it! They've taken many years of building up the current branding, and along with it has come higher ratings and more organization. I always thought that more of the CBS O&Os should adopt the "Eyewitness" moniker, being that an EYE is the logo of CBS! (Along those lines I always thought that ABC O&Os should adopt the Action News moniker, because they both begin with As!)

What do you mean' date=' "KPIX is no longer following the CBS Mandate?" As I know, CBS doesn't have a mandate requiring O&O's to go by the Eyewitness News moniker. The Eyewitness News name at KYW is only a coincidence. All other CBS O&Os go by "CBS # News" or "(Call Letter) News".

Not just a coincidence. KYW originated the EWN name in 1959 while they were operating out of Cleveland, then carried it over to Philadelphia in 1965. It's safe to say that the early 90s era in which the station identified as "KYW 3 News" might have been their ratings nadir. Bringing back the EWN name made sense, and they have successfully reestablished brand equity under the CBS 3 name.

Now, would it be cool if KDKA, KYW and WBZ brought back their Group W "2," "3" and "4" logos while maintaining current branding structures? Yes, but I don't think that's what CBS wants to do.

WJZ still identifies as EWN, but doesn't use the name in the newscast open (opting for their "Maryland's News Station" slogan). Then again, they have successfully refused to use ANY part of the CBS O&O graphics or Enforcer.

Not the first time they did this (mid-1990s early prime era stands out, when they went to KPIX-5 again).

Yup...they did it after early prime. Around 1994/1995 just before they switched to the 1996-2013 logo.

Nice to see the original Group W '5' back. The new GM, Bruno Cohen, was the News Director there in the 80s. At that time they started emphasizing 'KPIX' in the logo, though still called it Eyewitness News.

This move has his fingerprints on it.

Archived