Skyforce 10

WCAUTVNBC10

I have questions!

What was their previous chopper named?

Chopper 10

Are they leasing this from one of the big (broadcast?) helicopter companies? If so, which?

I believe they bought this outright.

Did they lose the previous to an SSA with another station or stations? Which ones?

They and WTXF were the pilot members of the LNS agreement that NBC had with FOX with their O&Os. KYW joined it here a few years back. Last year WCAU pulled out of it but still used the chopper while they were in the process of getting their own. Originally when WCAU and WTXF started the sharing they used the original Chopper 10. Then when KYW joined in, Chopper 3 became pool chopper.

They and WTXF were the pilot members of the LNS agreement that NBC had with FOX with their O&Os. KYW joined it here a few years back. Last year WCAU pulled out of it but still used the chopper while they were in the process of getting their own. Originally when WCAU and WTXF started the sharing they used the original Chopper 10. Then when KYW joined in, Chopper 3 became pool chopper.

If WCAU and WTXF shared Chopper 10 when LNS agreement has been established, but then switched to Chopper 3 (why?), could Chopper 10 have just been grounded and put in storage until now and is a rebrand of the same heli?

My guess is that this is unlikely because they could have sold the copter and funded other projects. Remember, this is when they were owned by G.E. and G.E. started to reduce spending as much as possible. It doesn't make much sense to have your own heli when every other station has one with which you can share (G.E. thinking!). But now that Comcast has established ownership, and paralleling WNBC's purchase of a new copter, it makes sense that WCAU would have a new one as well (being that this is Philly).

If WCAU and WTXF shared Chopper 10 when LNS agreement has been established, but then switched to Chopper 3 (why?), could Chopper 10 have just been grounded and put in storage until now and is a rebrand of the same heli?

No Chopper 10 was sold off at that point. When they did the agreement they chose to use Chopper 10 cause WCAU owned it and WTXF get out of their lease with their SkyFOX.

My guess is that this is unlikely because they could have sold the copter and funded other projects. Remember, this is when they were owned by G.E. and G.E. started to reduce spending as much as possible. It doesn't make much sense to have your own heli when every other station has one with which you can share (G.E. thinking!). But now that Comcast has established ownership, and paralleling WNBC's purchase of a new copter, it makes sense that WCAU would have a new one as well (being that this is Philly).

Yep. What I really like its that they are going to be using Skyforce 10 (that's gonna take some getting used to) as a flying live truck essentially. They're going to have a reporter up there for all newscasts (dunno if that'll include weekends or not).

Quick aside, the promo wars have begun when it comes to choppers as both 6 and 3 came out with promos today describing why their choppers are better. I dunno where 3 gets off having anything to say though since they share their chopper with 29 and it's not owned by either station (although it still wears a wrap/paint scheme for 3).

I dunno where 3 gets off having anything to say though since they share their chopper with 29 and it's not owned by either station (although it still wears a wrap/paint scheme for 3).

That's funny. It parallels Denver in some ways because all of our affiliates and even a local radio station share one helicopter. But they each use a different named for the leased copter on air!

I believe they bought this outright.

It's leased through Helicopters Inc. The N-number shows that it is registered to Air Sansone, which Helicopters Inc usually operates theirs through.

The paint job and styling on the N-number is also a giveaway.

I dunno where 3 gets off having anything to say though since they share their chopper with 29 and it's not owned by either station (although it still wears a wrap/paint scheme for 3).

I believe that helicopter is still technically under KYW ownership/jurisdiction. As I recall, Chopper 3 and the arguments over it (or $$$) was the reason why KYW wasn't in LNS earlier.

I believe that helicopter is still technically under KYW ownership/jurisdiction. As I recall, Chopper 3 and the arguments over it (or $$$) was the reason why KYW wasn't in LNS earlier.

Seems like the root of most decisions made at CBS O&Os these days. they're falling into the same trap NBC felt into with their O&Os with the stations slowly losing their local identity, but that's for another discussion.

Back to Chopper 3 though, if KYW does still control it they should consider putting a new paint job on it since their old web address cbs3.com is still emblazoned on the tail and the paint scheme is from a graphics package they don't use any more.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember I saw, albeit from a distance, Chopper 6 taking off from Penn's Landing when I went to the Adventure Aquarium across the river in Camden a while back. Strangely the outside balcony has a little facility for WTXF located there. The door still had Fox Philadelphia and Fox News branding from the late 90's, but the thing was small, despite the door saying it was a "bureau". It wasn't being used when I went there.

I remember I saw, albeit from a distance, Chopper 6 taking off from Penn's Landing when I went to the Adventure Aquarium across the river in Camden a while back. Strangely the outside balcony has a little facility for WTXF located there. The door still had Fox Philadelphia and Fox News branding from the late 90's, but the thing was small, despite the door saying it was a "bureau". It wasn't being used when I went there.

Chopper 6 is sheltered at Northeast Airport.

Chopper 6 is sheltered at Northeast Airport.

Well, they must have switched, given that when Chopper 6 crashed in 1997, they were trying to take off from Penn's Landing. It must have been flying over the city. I could tell because of the bright red-and-blue color scheme.

Well, they must have switched, given that when Chopper 6 crashed in 1997, they were trying to take off from Penn's Landing. It must have been flying over the city. I could tell because of the bright red-and-blue color scheme.

Maybe in addition to their unique color scheme, they should be playing MCtYW very loudly, so every one knows they are coming. It would be like a Good Humor ice cream truck! ;)

Yeah they moved it up there in, I wanna say, '06.

Yeah they moved it up there in, I wanna say, '06.

I saw the chopper around 2009, so it must have been flying around. Oh, and they've changed the color scheme. But does anyone else find the "WTXF at the aquarium" thing bizarre, or is it just me?

I saw the chopper around 2009, so it must have been flying around. Oh, and they've changed the color scheme. But does anyone else find the "WTXF at the aquarium" thing bizarre, or is it just me?

I know a guy who worked there for a decade or three. I'll ask him about it Monday.

Sue Serio used to be holed up in the little studio at the aquarium during Good Day back in the mid/late 90's

Actually that was the little cubbyhole that was their weather center. Usually, though, they'd have her on site. I kinda miss that, although Jennaphr Frederick seems to have taken that role.

Back to SkyForce 10 - well, I can't get over the branding. For some reason, I think, nobody has really succeeded in establishing a name other than "Chopper x". 10 had "News Chopper 10", and 3 had "Sky Eye 3", and both reverted. I can see why they did the rename though - even when it was "Chopper 3/10/29/57". they maintained the illusion that they were separate helicopters.

Actually that was the little cubbyhole that was their weather center. Usually, though, they'd have her on site. I kinda miss that, although Jennaphr Frederick seems to have taken that role.

Back to SkyForce 10 - well, I can't get over the branding. For some reason, I think, nobody has really succeeded in establishing a name other than "Chopper x". 10 had "News Chopper 10", and 3 had "Sky Eye 3", and both reverted. I can see why they did the rename though - even when it was "Chopper 3/10/29/57". they maintained the illusion that they were separate helicopters.

Yeah, that illusion seems to hold true in many markets.

Archived