Will the NYC stations move to the new World Trade Center?

CircleSeven

TVNewsCheck is posting that the firm that manages and leasing the new One World Trade Center is pitching broadcasters to move its primary transmitting facilities from its current location, the Empire State Building to 1WTC as early as 2015.

If the stations move to the new building, they better keep all the backups at ESB & 4TS (if they have one).

Is it possible that a network or station starts broadcasting from WTC? I would think that if Pat Fili-Krushel really wants to bring Today back on top, a revamp is in order. Whether that includes relieving Lauer or not, I don't know. But, it may be cool if NBC premiers a new Today set at ground level of 1WTC. I don't know if it will happen, but its a unique idea. Thoughts?

Is it possible that a network or station starts broadcasting from WTC? I would think that if Pat Fili-Krushel really wants to bring Today back on top, a revamp is in order. Whether that includes relieving Lauer or not, I don't know. But, it may be cool if NBC premiers a new Today set at ground level of 1WTC. I don't know if it will happen, but its a unique idea. Thoughts?

Okay, this might sound terrible, but...

All eyes are going to be on 1WT upon its opening. Many will view as a sort of comeback for our nation...a sign of resilience. There are also going to be people (more than there should be) that will be worried about the "What if?", and I wouldn't be surprised if the corporate suits are among them. God-forbid something happens to that building - and it may sound shallow, but it might not be the most financially-sound plan to permanently relocate a TV show there.

Okay, this might sound terrible, but...

All eyes are going to be on 1WT upon its opening. Many will view as a sort of comeback for our nation...a sign of resilience. There are also going to be people (more than there should be) that will be worried about the "What if?", and I wouldn't be surprised if the corporate suits are among them. God-forbid something happens to that building - and it may sound shallow, but it might not be the most financially-sound plan to permanently relocate a TV show there.

I agree 100%.. However I think it would be cool to have a studio that far downtown.. The closest one to that is WPIX at 42nd street. Correct? I just just don't think it would be the BEST choice for a newscast to be done from the World Trade Center since its focused on enough to begin with for good and bad reasons.

I hope you all get what I was saying above. I wasn't talking about stations moving its studios to 1WTC, I was talking about the stations over-the-air signals. The stations currently operate its signals from the Empire State. This guy wants the stations to operate at the new building within the next two years.

Maybe the networks should do a special network newscast at the new WTC when the entire project get completed. That would be a tremendous news event.

I think some stations may consider having transmitters at 1WTC, but maybe only as a backup transmitter if the Empire State Building transmitter should fail or something bizarre like a repeat of the 1988 Max Headroom signal intrusion incident. I doubt if too many will transmit from the building full-time, especially considering that according to the report linked in the first post, there may not be enough ERP for the UHF digital signals within a few miles surrounding One World Trade Center, especially with FCC's transmitter height to ERP requirements.

I hope you all get what I was saying above. I wasn't talking about stations moving its studios to 1WTC' date=' I was talking about the stations [b']over-the-air signals[/b]. The stations currently operate its signals from the Empire State. This guy wants the stations to operate at the new building within the next two years.

Maybe the networks should do a special network newscast at the new WTC when the entire project get completed. That would be a tremendous news event.

Yeah, I get your point. I was responding more to the idea of moving studios. I'm not too keen on the whole antenna operations.

I hope you all get what I was saying above. I wasn't talking about stations moving its studios to 1WTC' date=' I was talking about the stations [b']over-the-air signals[/b]. The stations currently operate its signals from the Empire State. This guy wants the stations to operate at the new building within the next two years.

The Big Four networks should do that and take it a step further. Unite for a special primetime newscast then have the New York stations unite for a special late newscast.

Keep in mind that the bottom portion of 1WTC is reinforced concrete, so there'd be zero "streetside" aspect, and I'm sure they rather keep large crowds out of the lobby.

• 1 month later...

Does it even have a ground level? I thought the first 20 "floors" were just going to be a concrete base.

The crews placed the final piece of the spire atop of the 1WTC earlier this morning.

BJRVw0hCcAEJCHX.png

EDIT: 3/6/13 Here's A TVNewsCheck article about the spire. They will be placing that spire on the top of the tower on Wednesday.

The article also states that they are still in talks with the stations (TV & Radio) to move its facilities to 1WTC. But nothing have been finalized. Also everybody is watching the upcoming 2014 spectrum auctions to see what the broadcasters next move.

Archived