KXAN Viewers Miss Game Winning Goal

Nelson R.

Read on Twitter Austin's NBC affiliate KXAN accidentally went to commercials during OT of the Stanley Cup and it just so happens the Blackhawks scored the game winning goal during the commercials! Colossal screw up! Their Facebook page is being flooded with complaints as you might imagine.

Related...go Hawks.

G'night.

As a Bruins fan, it was one hell of a match, but sucks that they'd lose, but it's all good anyway, they'll comeback :). GO BRUINS!!!! On the related note, Deadspin put up the apology on the article they posted. http://deadspin.com/austin-nbc-station-runs-news-promo-during-overtime-mis-514533238?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

At the end of the video linked above, the meteorologist or sports guy says "computer automation will bite you." At the station I work at we have been bit by the hubs automated break system numerous times, something I assumed happened here.

At the end of the video linked above, the meteorologist or sports guy says "computer automation will bite you." At the station I work at we have been bit by the hubs automated break system numerous times, something I assumed happened here.

The thing that shocked/bothered me was how long it took to notice the problem and flip it back to the game. It should've taken less than 30 seconds.

The thing that shocked/bothered me was how long it took to notice the problem and flip it back to the game. It should've taken less than 30 seconds.

Somebody somewhere wasn't paying attention. Reminds of the recent WGCL incident with the Tonys which also caused a firestorm (and resulted in firings).

Sometimes those automation systems are like a train -- you can throw on the emergency breaks, but it takes a while to get it to stop.

Often people think it's like their iTunes playlist, but, there are lots of GPI triggers that make it a lot harder then pressing the "pause" button.

Read an analogy about this on their Facebook...

KXAN, meet Heidi. Heidi, meet KXAN

It's a shame that so many people don't know about/remember that. My dad recalled that incident way too often...I can only imagine what the Heidi Bowl would be like now with the advent of the internet? :D

We are not hubbed, but we have automation. We have someone minding the shop, but occasionally that person has forgotten to override the automation if a sports event ran long. In each case, the automation thought the news had started and aired whatever was on the program monitor in the control room. I can think of one instance, during severe weather coverage, where part of the commercial load aired because the automation thought we were in network programming.

This comment made my day:

"You know, as I was watching this nail-biting, edge-of-my-seat, I've-been-glued-to-my-TV-for-3-hours-and-can't-wait-to-see-who-wins overtime period, I suddenly thought, "Man, I would really like to know more about your meteorologists. Like, right now. Seriously, RIGHT NOW. At this VERY EXACT MOMENT." And what do you know? You made it happen! You guys are so awesome!!! I hope your green screen blows up."

What's worse is that the World Cup is coming up next year, and it will be shared between ESPN, ABC and Univision. Imagine what those automation systems have planned...hopefully it will be like 2010 where all ESPN/ABC games were commercial free.

This comment made my day:

"You know, as I was watching this nail-biting, edge-of-my-seat, I've-been-glued-to-my-TV-for-3-hours-and-can't-wait-to-see-who-wins overtime period, I suddenly thought, "Man, I would really like to know more about your meteorologists. Like, right now. Seriously, RIGHT NOW. At this VERY EXACT MOMENT." And what do you know? You made it happen! You guys are so awesome!!! I hope your green screen blows up."

What's worse is that the World Cup is coming up next year, and it will be shared between ESPN, ABC and Univision. Imagine what those automation systems have planned...hopefully it will be like 2010 where all ESPN/ABC games were commercial free.

Not as fascinating as it will be to see how Fox will handle the World Cup when it has the rights to the Cup in 2018 and 2022. Fox affiliates aren't known for being too flexible with soccer.

Archived