WFLD anchor shake-up?

312newswannabe

From Lewis Lazare...

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news/2013/07/05/wfld-channel-32-is-anchor-shake-up-on.html

Jul 5, 2013, 1:56pm CDT

Anchor shake-up might be in works at Fox station WFLD-Channel 32

Is big change about to come to the late news anchor desk at Fox-owned WFLD-Channel 32? Sources said the station could soon shake up the anchor line-up on its hour-long 9 p.m. newscast. Bob Sirott and Robin Robinson — both longtime local TV news talents — currently occupy those crucial anchor seats on the station's late newscast.

But it has become apparent over the course of several years that — at least as an anchor team — they haven't been able to move Channel 32 out of its perennial last-place position in the weekday late local newscast ratings competition.

In the most recent June Nielsen ratings book, Channel 32's 9 p.m. newscast fronted by Sirott and Robinson pulled a 2.5 rating Monday through Friday, while Tribune Co.-owned WGN-Channel 9's late news — a direct competitor at 9 p.m. — scored a 4.0. Top-rated ABC-owned WLS-Channel 7's 10 p.m. newscast notched an 8.3 rating in June. One rating point equals 35,000 households in the Chicago market.

Channel 32 General Manager Dennis Welsh has been in place since January, and he brought on board a new station news director Tom Doerr in late February. Sources say Channel 32 has been looking at potential anchor candidates in recent weeks from outside the Chicago market — always a dicey proposition in a town that seems to prefer known commodities when it comes to anchor talent.

Both Robinson and Sirott are veterans of the local TV news scene, but when they were put together as anchor team by former general manager Michael Renda, there was no on-air chemistry between the two that might have helped the station achieve better news ratings. It didn't help that Renda made many other personnel changes in the newsroom during his tenure that helped create a very unsettled environment.

If Walsh and Doerr do move to make a change in 9 p.m. news anchors, Anna Davlantes could be another option up for consideration. Davlantes jumped from NBC-owned WMAQ-Channel 5 several years ago to take on a high-profile role on Channel 32's late newscast. But Renda made the decision to move her to an anchor slot on the station's morning show "Good Day, Chicago."

Okay, now it's secret confession time.

I like Bob and Robin together. I don't know what it is...maybe the fact that there's no chemistry in a way creates chemistry. Are they a long-term option? Hell no, but there's something about the duo that I find appealing.

Really quick, what the hell is with this town and anchors named Robert? Johnson, Stafford, Elgas, Sirott, Jordan...

I think they are more than likely to keep him (in some role) otherwise, why did they ask him to stay on past his contract expiration? It seems like there's interest (from both sides) in working out some type of new deal.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've noticed in the last few weeks that WFLD has gone back to using fill-in anchors. For a few years, the noon and (especially the) 9pm broadcasts would be solo-anchored if one of them was gone. I've seen both weekend anchors Yellen and Walker show up at noon and nine, and this past weekend even Patrick Elwood showed up alongside Larry Yellen. I'd like to think that this is a sign of something, "recommitment to quality" or some crap like that, but still...

I've noticed the substitute anchors also. Hopefully a good sign of things to come. Anybody know when we could expect to see 32 at 5 p.m.?

The long-standing rumor (at best) was that they were shooting for the fall with Kori Chambers and Anna Davlantes, and the time was up in the air. After the new (ever-revolving door of) leadership came in and that stupid talk-radio-crap-dishing-gab-spewing-suck-hole-of-a-show was renewed, all of that was thrown up in the air.

Frankly, if the do join the early evening race, I think 6pm would be a better venue. At 5, it's way too crowded, and with a fairly-competitive primetime line-up people may catch a few minutes here and there before 7 o'clock rolls around...and it would give Chicago news in the 6:30 half-hour. I know I'd check it out over what 2, 5 and 9 air.

Archived