Nexstar...again

Highly unlikely. There's no market for a third news department in Billings. Besides, Nexstar would have to do a major renovation of the building. The "news studio" is the size of a closet.

If they renovated the bathrooms or kitchen they would greatly increase the value of the station.

• Like 4

Nexstar has changed the name of the statewide newscast to West Virginia Tonight, prior name was Tonight Live until 2012. Prior to that was West Virginia Tonight Live. They have also started to air reports from WHAG

WEVD is a WMDT translator, but I'm surprised it still hasn't been converted to digital. The FCC's TV Query says its application is still pending. Maybe it's because of ABC O&O WPVI, which claims Dover as part of its coverage area and doesn't want another ABC affiliate encroaching on its turf?

One more oddity: WEVD's analog transmitter is in Dover, but its proposed digital stick is in Middletown (New Castle County) and would put out a marginal signal at best to Dover. Does WMDT want to be a Delaware station rather than a Salisbury station?

http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=2003083&map=Y

Nexstar has changed the name of the statewide newscast to West Virginia Tonight, prior name was Tonight Live until 2012. Prior to that was West Virginia Tonight Live. They have also started to air reports from WHAG

I believe WHAG is also airing the program at 5:30 as well.

So let me get this straight, Nexstar owns so many stations that their acquisition of Media General to get even more stations will put them over the limit for the number of stations a company can own, so they'll have to sell stations in order to acquire MG in order to get more stations in the end?

• Like 5

So let me get this straight, Nexstar owns so many stations that their acquisition of Media General to get even more stations will put them over the limit for the number of stations a company can own, so they'll have to sell stations in order to acquire MG in order to get more stations in the end?

Yes. Which makes this deal a disaster in the making. If you think of sheer news departments owned, post-merger Nexstar would have nearly 100. Sinclair doesn't even have 60 news departments currently running. Given the headaches Sinclair has had with their rapid growth and that some stations still don't have upgrades, how Nexstar will navigate a far larger mass will be problematic.

• Like 2

Yes. Which makes this deal a disaster in the making. If you think of sheer news departments owned, post-merger Nexstar would have nearly 100. Sinclair doesn't even have 60 news departments currently running. Given the headaches Sinclair has had with their rapid growth and that some stations still don't have upgrades, how Nexstar will navigate a far larger mass will be problematic.
That's what everyone in the media industry said about Sinclair and Albritton
  • Like 5

Well the trend definitely seems to be only having a few mega-broadcast corporations. I'm curious to see how this turns out and if Nexstar will have bitten off more than it can true. Operating nearly 100 newsrooms seems like a gargantuan task and some stations are going to be either forgotten about or placed way low on the totem pole, which is highly unfortunate.

Well the trend definitely seems to be only having a few mega-broadcast corporations. I'm curious to see how this turns out and if Nexstar will have bitten off more than it can true. Operating nearly 100 newsrooms seems like a gargantuan task and some stations are going to be either forgotten about or placed way low on the totem pole, which is highly unfortunate.

Especially since a good number of MG and Nexstar stations are in 3rd or 4th place in their markets. It isn't as easy as with, say, Raycom or Gray, who have a lot of market-dominant stations.

About there being a few mega-broadcast corps, even cable companies are doing this (especially charter with time warner which was going to be bought by comcast before it and time warner called it off)

I guess we know which SAM package WHAG will be getting when they go independent...

What is really odd out of all the WVMH stations WVNS uses Inergy and rest use Aerial. Finale is still used Decision Makers.

When I looked at that page a couple of weeks ago, it was still showing those two dated logos.

Okay their two different sets of logos. The one that's posted on the yourbigsky twitter page is different from the logos that are displayed on its website front page (where it says POWERED BY). The question is which one they use on the air?

Okay Follow-up.

I'm not too sure when they changed it but their twitter feed is now updated. The logos matches the ones from the website.

To me, the one that was posted before (specifically the Fox one, which was a carbon-copy of KDVR) looked extremely cheap. But I'm tired of seeing yet ANOTHER Nexstar Fox station with the same vertical-stacking logo. And it really doesn't look right with a singular-number station. I just hope they don't splew this shit into the MG stations.

• Like 2

Wow that is shocking. About time they jump on the bandwagon. Since they are wanting MG so bad I guess they seen the need to start now.

Wow that is shocking. About time they jump on the bandwagon. Since they are wanting MG so bad I guess they seen the need to start now.

Too bad most of the deals involve networks already snapped up by Scripps and Sinclair, and with Bounce, several markets which are just plain percentage-filling without viewer impact. In Green Bay WFRV is getting Bounce TV, which is nearly wholly incompatible with the demographics of Northeast Wisconsin, since Laff, Escape and Grit were already long snapped up. Same with Eau Claire/La Crosse with WLAX/WEUX. It just seems like such a johnny-come-lately deal I'm surprised they didn't also mention any of Luken's networks.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

The CW is coming to Western North Dakota.

NorthPine.com stated that KX stations in North Dakota is adding The CW on its .2 subchannel, replacing its Weather stream.

NORTH DAKOTA:

The CW has been added on Nexstar's KXMB (Bismarck), KXMC (Minot), KXMA (Dickinson), and KXMC (Williston). The stations, which are primary CBS affiliates, have also dropped their 24-hour weather channel but continue to offer the stream online. This is the first time the CW has had a broadcast affiliate in the western North Dakota market, which also still lacks a MyNetworkTV station and never had a WB broadcast affiliate. The CW, and the WB prior to that, had been seen on the cable-only "KMWK" channel. (7/1/2016)

• 1 month later...

(Posting here because this station will end up with Nexstar)

WSAV has acquired the CW affiliation for their 3.2 subchannel. The current MyNetworkTV/Me-TV combo on there is being moved to 3.3. This leaves locally owned WGSA without a network and likely spectrum bait.

introducing-wsav-cw.jpg?w=650

http://wsav.com/2016/08/02/wsav-proud-to-announce-wsav-cw-beginning-september-12/

(Posting here because this station will end up with Nexstar)

WSAV has acquired the CW affiliation for their 3.2 subchannel. The current MyNetworkTV/Me-TV combo on there is being moved to 3.3. This leaves locally owned WGSA without a network and likely spectrum bait.

introducing-wsav-cw.jpg?w=650

http://wsav.com/2016/08/02/wsav-proud-to-announce-wsav-cw-beginning-september-12/

Weren't they bound to be spectrum bait?