Who got May's book in your market?

NewzPimpin

Memphis Numbers...(from a post at Joe Larkins's blog). Obviously this is not the full set of numbers.

5am: WREG 4.1 WMC 3.3 WHBQ 3.8

6am: WREG 6.7 WMC 6.0 WHBQ 5.5

Noon: WREG 7.9 WMC 5.0

5pm: WREG 8.4 WMC 9.7

6pm: WREG 9.0 WMC 10.4

10pm WREG 10.8* WMC 11.8

Yes, WMC has retaken the 10 PM for the first time in more than a year though some are saying its simply because of their numerous giveaways and contests through the month. However, WREG also retitled at least 5 of their 10 PM newscasts throughout the month so they did get an asterisk.

Memphis Numbers...(from a post at Joe Larkins's blog). Obviously this is not the full set of numbers.

5am: WREG 4.1 WMC 3.3 WHBQ 3.8

6am: WREG 6.7 WMC 6.0 WHBQ 5.5

Noon: WREG 7.9 WMC 5.0

5pm: WREG 8.4 WMC 9.7

6pm: WREG 9.0 WMC 10.4

10pm WREG 10.8* WMC 11.8

Yes, WMC has retaken the 10 PM for the first time in more than a year though some are saying its simply because of their numerous giveaways and contests through the month. However, WREG also retitled at least 5 of their 10 PM newscasts throughout the month so they did get an asterisk.

Wow, 5 took back the 5pm, 6pm and 10pm shows; I'm thinking the free gas and Beyonce ticket givaways had something to do with it also. But of course, we know that these sweeps aren't anything new. WREG won the May 1998 book by giving away Jeeps.

Wow, 5 took back the 5pm, 6pm and 10pm shows; I'm thinking the free gas and Beyonce ticket givaways had something to do with it also. But of course, we know that these sweeps aren't anything new. WREG won the May 1998 book by giving away Jeeps.

Oh yeah, its been done for years by all the stations in town. I will say content-wise the sweeps was much better for WMC than in past years whether that had an impact or not. No more secret swab tests or "dirty little secrets" stories ;D.

From VARTV...

2007_05_24.gif

In a nutshell...

The 6am hour of WAVY's morning newscast has jumped by a little over 2 points, even though Kerri Furey's on maternity leave.

WAVY's 6/11pm haven't suffered as much as I thought it would with the departure of Les Smith.

WTKR's evening numbers are hopefully a wake-up call to station management and the folks at Local TV... "Fugitive Finder" isn't helping :(

And has WVEC considered axing the newscast on LNC5?

Houston: From Belo Corp.

Mornings:

1. KHOU - First outright win over KTRK EVER

2. KTRK

3. KRIV

4. KPRC

11am

1. The Price is Right

2. KTRK News

3. KPRC News

4pm

1. Oprah

2. KTRK News

3. KPRC News

5pm

1. KHOU

2. KTRK

3. KPRC

6pm

1. KHOU

2. KTRK

3. KPRC

10 pm

1. KHOU

2. KTRK

3. KPRC

And has WVEC considered axing the newscast on LNC5?

Keep in mind, though, LNC is only offered to Cox Cable subscribers. When you take into account everyone who has satellite TV, the numbers will look much smaller than WVBT's.

Doesn't hurt that 'VBT also had "Idol" and "House". ;)

In Seattle/Tacoma, this Post-Intelligencer article says KOMO unseats KING at 11 pm, yet Belo's press release says otherwise. I can't find the actual numbers.

Post-sweeps KOMO is saying, "King me!"

What an eventful May it's been for KOMO/4.

Nearly three weeks ago management fired three veteran reporters with no warning. The effects of this unfortunate PR on the station's ratings? Nil. Thursday afternoon KOMO News claimed a May sweeps victory, announcing its ascension to first place in the 11 o'clock weeknight race.

This means KOMO unseated perennial blue-ribbon winner KING/5 for the first time in more than a decade -- by a five percent margin, according to station stats. That also means KOMO made a significant leap between the February sweep and May, when KOMO took third in the time slot behind KING and KIRO/7.

KOMO's 5 o'clock news regained its second-place standing, and the station claimed victory over KIRO's 6 o'clock newscast as well.

This development amounts to a vindication of sorts, at least in the short term, for KOMO's management, which has been eager to reinvigorate its newscasts. This month, under general manager Jim Clayton and recently hired news director Holly Gauntt, KOMO News reaped the benefits of a local-boy-makes-good story in "Dancing with the Stars" champion Apolo Anton Ohno.

A station spokesman said that ratings were up throughout the book, even before Ohno hoofed his way to the finals. KOMO's late newscasts also loaded up on highly promoted bright features cued to highly promoted episodes of prime-time programming and season finales.

This is in addition to presenting the usual spate of, how shall we say this, energetic reports we've come to expect during sweeps. For instance, KOMO touted getting the first ever interview with the Green River Killer's wife, Judith Ridgway.

Clayton headed the Fox duopoly WNYW and then UPN-affiliated WWOR in New York until June 2005, where he gained a reputation for resurrecting ailing newscasts. Before New York, Fox put Clayton in charge of turning around Detroit station WJBK's last-place newscast.

Efforts to kick start KOMO's newscast began in September, when Clayton changed the newscast's music and moved in a sharper-looking set with bolder blue tones. KOMO's logo used to consist of unassuming lowercase call letters, but that was replaced by commanding capital letters standing at attention on a dark background.

The station also began heavily promoting its Problem Solvers features. And who could miss those spiffy, zippy graphics, perfect for snapping us out of our pre-bedtime staring contests with the ceiling?

Among the personnel changes: Longtime sports director Eric Johnson became co-anchor of the 5 o'clock news. Clayton snagged former KCPQ/13 weatherman Jim Castillo from WNYW when that station didn't renew his contract.

But KOMO's reorganization has not been completely rosy. Soon after May sweeps commenced came the unceremonious axing of three veteran reporters, April Zepeda, Kevin Reece and Joe Furia.

The Seattle Local of the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists suspects "a strong appearance of retaliation against Zepeda and Furia, because they announced they would work as union shop stewards less than 96 hours before they were fired," according to a statement on AFTRA's website.

Cold realists familiar with the local news business will tell you that the salaries of three mid-career TV reporters will purchase the services of several more hungry greenhorns. Management might also opt to replace those three with the same number of entry-level journalists and pocket the savings.

If Mary Nam can take us to the bowels of Iron Mountain to look at photos of Albert Einstein or Audrey Hepburn, imagine what some fresh-faced j-school grad can do for KOMO News.

AFTRA continues to investigate the firings of Zepeda, Furia and Reece and filed an unfair labor practices charge with the National Labor Relations Board.

Posted by Melanie McFarland at May 24, 2007 7:08 p.m.

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/tv/archives/115821.asp

We know KTUU was dominant in Anchorage as always (though they've lost a tad bit of ratings ground to KTVA, KTBY, and KIMO thanks to NBC's suckage), but I'd love to see how Fairbanks did.

Only thing I know is that KFXF with the help of "House", "24", and of course "American Idol" and KXD are continuing to rain on KTVF's parade, with KATN not far behind.

Jonathan Allen

Great job by KOMO4. That is really great to hear them winning finally. I knew of KING5 doing a great job in Seattle. But considering that KOMO is "locally owned and operated" by Fisher out of Seattle just tells me that the local guys can win one every now and then without a big media company winning it all the time

We know KTUU was dominant in Anchorage as always (though they've lost a tad bit of ratings ground to KTVA, KTBY, and KIMO thanks to NBC's suckage), but I'd love to see how Fairbanks did.

Only thing I know is that KFXF with the help of "House", "24", and of course "American Idol" and KXD are continuing to rain on KTVF's parade, with KATN not far behind.

Jonathan Allen

i dont know where you are getting your info from, we havent gotten our latest sweeps results in, but KTVA and KIMO were down in february and we were up, moreso than before, the only place we were down was on the weekends, but KTVA didnt gain any ground on us there either. overall everyone has less viewers, but KTUU is getting a bigger percentage of those viewers. we got a 43 share at 6 and a 42 share at 10, you wont find that hardly anywhere else.

Archived