The Weather Channel to debut new grpahics

Andrew2016

Based on some FB postings of TWC staff, looks like the new look will roll out either the 11th or 12th, along with a new main set.

The Weather Channel logo also appears to be going a few shades lighter.

Promos for "Prospectors" might be showing a new tag line for long-form: "Natural Drama".

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my biggest question about this change:

Markets like mine (PIttsburgh) STILL do not have the IntelliStar 2 on any of our cable systems. All we have is the old SD IntelliStar, and that's how it is for a large amount of the markets that receive TWC in both SD and HD.

I'm guessing that the local stuff is still going to be generated by a computer at the cable's headend, but what does that mean for the SD IntelliStar and all these markets without an HD STAR? Perhaps maybe this will be the end of the STAR systems. Do you think TWC will just pass along a localized feed to each cable company (that would be a lot of feeds, though)?

So many unanswered questions....we'll find out at 4am tomorrow morning what is really going to happen!

In response to Chris, I think this quote from the TV Newser article implies the SD Intellistar isn't going anywhere:

HD viewers will see an enhanced sidebar (shown above) with more detailed weather information including barometric pressure, tides and moon phases.

My guess is that for the first time, all aspects of the Weather Channel will be on the same footing graphically. And really, the whole channel needs a from the ground-up revamp, at least graphically. The channel uses predominately red graphics that match nothing. The lower display line doesn't match anything. Local on the 8s looks completely different on HD and SD. The lower display line on the SD Local on the 8s is still based on the previous revamp - the warning scroll from the look before that. The HD's Local on the 8s is based on an outdated look.

Yes, but, the cable company could take one master HD feed and chop off the sides to make an SD channel.

Here's the other thing - there are still cable companies out there running the WeatherSTAR XL, 4000, and Junior. Those certainly aren't equipped to deliver a look that would be consistent with the IntelliStar. So, would they get upgrades, or just continue to use their old STAR units? A localized feed sent directly from TWC to each market would make more sense for that, but I don't think that would be entirely feasable.

Yes, but, the cable company could take one master HD feed and chop off the sides to make an SD channel.

Here's the other thing - there are still cable companies out there running the WeatherSTAR XL, 4000, and Junior. Those certainly aren't equipped to deliver a look that would be consistent with the IntelliStar. So, would they get upgrades, or just continue to use their old STAR units? A localized feed sent directly from TWC to each market would make more sense for that, but I don't think that would be entirely feasable.

I think those smaller companies might finally be getting a new machine.

They really should, since repairing the XL, 4000 or Junior must be next to impossible these days. They have also been limited to just LOT8s for a few years now.

I agree.

I know a lot of WeatherSTAR fans would probably want to kill me for saying this, but, the WeatherSTAR series has run its course. Now that TWC is overhauling everything, it's time to retire them. They're old, they're clunky, and maintaining them is probably very expensive. In fact, if the WS 3000 could generate alert tones, I bet IT would still be in use as there are WS Junior units still out there. It replaced the 3000 in cable systems that didn't want/couldn't afford the 4000.

Besides, there's an emulator out there to allow anyone to have a virtual WeatherSTAR 4000 on their desktop, and it is just as good as (if not better than) the real thing!

I haven't *seriously* watched TWC in about 8 years. This might actually make me tune in more. I am especially glad that they're finally going to do 24/7 weather info on-screen. For a while it seemed like they were becoming more of a channel about weather events than live, local weather information (and to an extent they will continue to be, but this is a huge improvement).

Bleh. These still have not won me over. This is not the next tablet you're designing, you're designing graphics for a TV network...

OOOOOOHHH, I'm tired of graphics that reminds me of a computer/portable mobile device. That's why I wasn't thrilled with Gannett's new graphics. because it looks like a toolbar on a desktop. It's too new and clean for my taste. Where is the "stank" that TWC use to have in the 90s?

Call me back when they can't get back to their roots.

On the other side of this, TWC sees the fact that they'll have weather on the screen at all times as an opportunity to drop even more live programming. Now there will be no more live programming after 8 pm ET on weekdays and 2 pm ET on weekends. It's basically the MSNBC model all over again.

I will tune into TWC at 4 AM ET to see this new evolution of the network I loved as a kid, but I don't see myself sticking around for long. I'm not going to watch endless hours of "Prospectors," "Coast Guard Alaska," and whatever else they plan on showing for 8-14 hours in a row.

On the positive side, I'm hopeful that the live hours that remain will at least have a cohesive and professional visual design. The current graphics are so horrible that it's embarassing. From the red and white lower thirds to the maps and illustrations with the huge blocky fonts and flat look; it looks horrible. Everything looked so much better back in 2008-2009 when they actually cared about their studio shows. I hope they'll turn the current visual mess around with this relaunch.

Watching TWC now - the new graphics look really nice! I am watching the SD feed on my TV, and it seems that they just upgraded the IntelliStar to match the new graphics, and it looks good....but the animations aren't as smooth as they would be on the IS2. I hope they've finally got a STAR on the HD feed.

The Weather Channel needed a new look and I'm really impressed by this one. Very clean and modern, kind of like the old WBZ look. And the new studio looks pretty cool.

It sounds like they replaced the songs during Local on the 8s with their own music, which gets pretty repetitive if you watch for a little while. I'm also not a fan of the "welcome" text at the start... Trying too hard to be funny/hip or something:

New York City, you did something to your hair, right?

New York City, we're from the future. (Not really, but we can predict it.)

New York City, now you can break the ice.

New York City, by the way, how'd that meeting go?

New York City, forget pork bellies, we've got weather futures.

New York City, we got you.

New York City, that's a great color on you.

New York City, we're going to make you an offer you can't refuse.

New York City, Coffee. Check. Phone. Check. Weather. Check.

New York City, wait for it... wait for it...

New York City, I see weather people.

Definitely an upgrade. Sorry to hear that it's an excuse to replace live programming with even more "reality shows."

The Weather Channel needed a new look and I'm really impressed by this one. Very clean and modern, kind of like the old WBZ look. And the new studio looks pretty cool.

It sounds like they replaced the songs during Local on the 8s with their own music, which gets pretty repetitive if you watch for a little while. I'm also not a fan of the "welcome" text at the start... Trying too hard to be funny/hip or something:

New York City, you did something to your hair, right?

New York City, we're from the future. (Not really, but we can predict it.)

New York City, now you can break the ice.

New York City, by the way, how'd that meeting go?

New York City, forget pork bellies, we've got weather futures.

New York City, we got you.

New York City, that's a great color on you.

New York City, we're going to make you an offer you can't refuse.

New York City, Coffee. Check. Phone. Check. Weather. Check.

New York City, wait for it... wait for it...

New York City, I see weather people.

Definitely an upgrade. Sorry to hear that it's an excuse to replace live programming with even more "reality shows."

It's a cloudy day where I am and the one welcome message I saw was "show me the sunny" *groan*

Aside from that, I like what they've done. Still need to get the local headends upgraded, a lot of smaller systems continue running the older WeatherSTAR units and still nothing in my area for the HD feed.

I'm not going to howl about everything that's probably going to be howled about on other forums. (Using a single custom song, the very short LOT8 sequences, etc.)

I will say that this is a very interesting proof of concept. I'm glad that flat design has made it into a television graphics package and aesthethically there's a lot to love.

But here, I don't think it works that well in practice. So many of us are used to StormTracker DoubleScans or TITAN Radar or graphics that can realistically zoom from the city skyline to the interior of a house. Having distilled symbols and easy to read fonts is great, but it's a very, very, radical change. Doesn't help that they're using the old radar map template on the LOT8s still. It might be better on an HD STAR, but we still don't have that yet on Fios...

Honestly, I think the "Weather All The Time" approach is a better way to go, frankly. Especially since they're now using it during commercials. Plus, we live in the App Age, where we can just download an app (possibly the Weather Channel's!), tap and enjoy.

I hate to say it, but the Local on the 8s are a relic....

I'm not going to howl about everything that's probably going to be howled about on other forums. (Using a single custom song, the very short LOT8 sequences, etc.)

I will say that this is a very interesting proof of concept. I'm glad that flat design has made it into a television graphics package and aesthethically there's a lot to love.

But here, I don't think it works that well in practice. So many of us are used to StormTracker DoubleScans or TITAN Radar or graphics that can realistically zoom from the city skyline to the interior of a house. Having distilled symbols and easy to read fonts is great, but it's a very, very, radical change. Doesn't help that they're using the old radar map template on the LOT8s still. It might be better on an HD STAR, but we still don't have that yet on Fios...

Honestly, I think the "Weather All The Time" approach is a better way to go, frankly. Especially since they're now using it during commercials. Plus, we live in the App Age, where we can just download an app (possibly the Weather Channel's!), tap and enjoy.

I hate to say it, but the Local on the 8s are a relic....

Exactly. TWC's move away from weather, Headline News's transformation into HLN and the efforts of networks like CNBC and CNN to grow non-live programming all exist for a reason. Their original remit has been taken by 24-hour Internet services (do I sound like I came from 1998 or what?). Sad, but true and necessary for these networks to not look like dinosaurs.

Archived