November sweeps ratings predictions?

johnnya2k6

High-speed pursuits...hard-hitting investigations..."watch and win" contests...those three things and more mean only one thing: NOVEMBER SWEEPS!!!!!

The May winners are entering this sweeps period with their guns ab-lazing, with the others about to pull no punches. So who do I think will come out on top when it's all over?

We know that in my new home sweet home Atlanta, WSB will remain the undisputed champ (Scandal, I believe, is a MAJOR hit here), followed by WAGA (fueled by Sleepy Hollow and The X-Factor), WXIA (ditto for Sunday Night Football and The Voice, though they'll easily win 6:30 with Nightly News), and WGCL (Atlantans still love CBS's balance of dramas and comedies with Big Bang Theory, NCIS, Elementary, 2 Broke Girls, and newbie The Crazy Ones, plus Survivor and Amazing Race on the reality side. Oh, and 60 Minutes, too).

Boston? I can see WBZ and WCVB still neck-and-neck; as for Miami? WTVJ and WPLG will be in a photo finish for #2...among the English-language stations ('TVJ by a hair since they're less sensationalist)!

Any other possible winners/losers?

In Memphis, many things come into play. Firstly, last raking WPTY was completely rebranded in June, including a call-letter sign change to WATN, new slogan, graphics, set, and a completely new building. Also, WMC is doing a Wheel of Fortune game during the morning show. WREG is also doing some game during the morning and night hours. I don't think WHBQ is doing anything.

With that being said, here are my predictions:

-WREG (CBS) will remain on top. Their presentation is great. Frequent refreshes make them pleasant to watch. They also have very professional personalities that know their job and know how to do it right.

-WMC (NBC) will stay in second. Their presentation is one of the best, if not the best, in Memphis. However, they are not doing much to pull in new viewers. The only thing keeping them up are the few veteran anchors and chief met. Dave Brown.

-WATN (ABC) will move up to third. A recent rebrand, upgrade to HD, and new personalities have caused me to make them my Memphis news source, time will tell if other Memphians have made the same decision to watch WATN.

-WHBQ (FOX) will fall to last. They're an O&O, need I say more? Their presentation is good at first, but gets very repetitive if you watch a few newscasts. Few changes are ever made and they are also not doing much to pull in new viewers.

If I my add my two cents for the last time in a while:

-In the City of Brotherly Love, I believe--no--KNOW WPVI would--should take this without contest (because of the news program where everybody knows its name, and because of Scandal, which I assume is also huge here.)

-I think in second should be WCAU; they have gotten a much better news department recently (also because of the two programs that saved NBC) and beats out KYW (despite the network it affiliates), which I hear from reading this site is sucking arse, making it number three.

-Fourth is WTXF (although that could change because of Fox's recent hits Sleepy Hollow, New Girl and X Factor)

That's my opinion. See you guys later.

In Memphis, many things come into play. Firstly, last raking WPTY was completely rebranded in June, including a call-letter sign change to WATN, new slogan, graphics, set, and a completely new building. Also, WMC is doing a Wheel of Fortune game during the morning show. WREG is also doing some game during the morning and night hours. I don't think WHBQ is doing anything.

-WREG (CBS) will remain on top. Their presentation is great. Frequent refreshes make them pleasant to watch. They also have very professional personalities that know their job and know how to do it right.

-WMC (NBC) will stay in second. Their presentation is one of the best, if not the best, in Memphis. However, they are not doing much to pull in new viewers. The only thing keeping them up are the few veteran anchors and chief met. Dave Brown.

-WATN (ABC) will move up to third. A recent rebrand, upgrade to HD, and new personalities have caused me to make them my Memphis news source, time will tell if other Memphians have made the same decision to watch WATN.

-WHBQ (FOX) will fall to last. They're an O&O, need I say more? Their presentation is good at first, but gets very repetitive if you watch a few newscasts. Few changes are ever made and they are also not doing much to pull in new viewers.

I just don't see WATN moving up to third, not yet. They could double most of their May and July '13 numbers and still be in last place. It's going to take time for that to happen. I do absolutely see where WHBQ falls to last (at least outside mornings), but a few years down the road, not months. Maybe WLMT's 9p news could make it a competition sooner than that, as it's almost always been a better performer than any newscast on WPTY/WATN.

I really expect things to be pretty status quo for most of the Memphis market. WREG will probably eat away at WMC's numbers further, and we may see a small bump for WATN, nothing to get excited about yet however.

WREG and WMC are actually running the same exact contest, a stupid wheel spin (not a fan of sweeps giveaways). WMC just has rights to name theirs "Wheel of Fortune". WHBQ has a policy against any sweeps giveaways like that, they haven't had any for about a decade now.

KSAT will continue to be the two-ton gorilla, KENS will be second, WOAI, KABB and KWEX will try to battle it out for third (it always differs though, sometimes KABB's third, sometimes WOAI, sometimes KWEX, WOAI was third in May but KABB in February). KVDA will be sixth place as always because only 8,000 people watch them at 10 (May sweeps).

I wouldn't be surprised if:

WOAI does their stupid "Where's Cleto?" gas giveaway promotion (viewer has to guess where their morning feature reporter Cleto is and if they get the location correct they have the chance of winning a $100 gas card).

KENS does their "Great Gas Giveaway" AGAIN (they always do, have done so for many years now)

KSAT doesn't giveaway anything

and KABB gives away a car.

That's usually how it always plays out.

I just don't see WATN moving up to third, not yet. They could double most of their May and July '13 numbers and still be in last place. It's going to take time for that to happen. I do absolutely see where WHBQ falls to last (at least outside mornings), but a few years down the road, not months. Maybe WLMT's 9p news could make it a competition sooner than that, as it's almost always been a better performer than any newscast on WPTY/WATN.

I really expect things to be pretty status quo for most of the Memphis market. WREG will probably eat away at WMC's numbers further, and we may see a small bump for WATN, nothing to get excited about yet however.

WREG and WMC are actually running the same exact contest, a stupid wheel spin (not a fan of sweeps giveaways). WMC just has rights to name theirs "Wheel of Fortune". WHBQ has a policy against any sweeps giveaways like that, they haven't had any for about a decade now.

I agree completely with the both of you in terms of WREG and WMC finishing first and second respectively. In terms of WATN/WLMT, I expect them to make gains, but not enough to unseat WHBQ from third place ... yet, for it may take a couple more sweeps cycles to see if they can make any noticeable gains.

In Nashville, I expect the status quo to remain the same there with WTVF in first (leading in every newscast as usual), WSMV and WKRN fighting for second and third, and WZTV in fourth (even though they don't have midday or early evening newscasts).

My predictions for Phoenix:

Mornings: KNXV will get a boost from leading into "GMA," and will move closer to KTVK and KSAZ's local morning shows. KPNX will wage a good battle with KNXV for third, and KPHO will still be in the cellar, despite them hyping the one-day-a-week return of ex-KTVK host Tara Hitchcock.

12pm: KPHO will benefit from the "Young and the Restless" lead-in, KPNX and KSAZ will be second and third.

Evenings: KSAZ #1 at 5pm, "NBC Nightly News" tops at 5:30, KPNX #1 at 6pm.

9pm: KTVK will make gains, but will still be far behind KSAZ

10pm: KPNX and KPHO will both make claims of being #1. KPNX may win some nights due to viewer loyalty, KPHO because of powerful CBS lead-in.

Charlotte will probably be WSOC getting most if not all timeslots, maybe conceding noon or 11pm to WBTV, which will be firmly second and WCNC a distant third. WAXN will win 10pm big, WJZY will maybe gain some and WCCB will probably lose even more ground at 10 and in the mornings.

WWL-TV will continue to win it all in New Orleans, leaving WDSU and WVUE to fight it out for second, leaving WGNO in the dust.

WGNO needs to revamp and rebuild its newscasts, fast! Or better yet, sell the station and get new owners!

KTUU will continue win by default in Anchorage, though KTVA's new ownership by GCI may turn that around. That could mean a return to their glory days when they were a serious competitor to KTUU and KYUR (when they were still KIMO).

Speaking of KYUR...they're the ones still in deep trouble despite the Scandal love. They better get their act together and FAST!!

Fairbanks? (crickets chirping) They ain't a real TV market anymore and sweeps don't mean shit to them (unless if you're KTVF)! No wonder why I'm back to watching real local TV, this time in Atlanta!

KTUU will continue win by default in Anchorage, though KTVA's new ownership by GCI may turn that around. That could mean a return to their glory days when they were a serious competitor to KTUU and KYUR (when they were still KIMO).

Speaking of KYUR...they're the ones still in deep trouble despite the Scandal love. They better get their act together and FAST!!

Fairbanks? (crickets chirping) They ain't a real TV market anymore and sweeps don't mean shit to them (unless if you're KTVF)! No wonder why I'm back to watching real local TV, this time in Atlanta!

KTVA will continue to be a joke until they move out of the shack their studios are in (sales and administration located separately in an office building due to severe lack of space), invest in HD news, and re-instate morning and weekend news. I don't know if GCI intends on doing that but if/when they do, then they'll be a real competitor.

KYUR needs new equipment badly. They still use tape to film their stuff and the tracking was showing one time during one of their news clips!

kx1q.png

This is unacceptable and I don't know how that made it on the air. I would've just ran audio or a transcription of what he said than have to see that.

It also doesn't help that some of their reporters are still in college and report for them on-air part time (there is nothing that indicates they are interns or haven't graduated yet) or that they lack morning news. Smith selling this station was the worst thing to happen to it and an example of where chain ownership actually HELPS a station as they would have much better equipment and be in HD.

EDIT: they do have morning news, it's just not reflected on Wikipedia. My mistake.

Detroit- WJBK wins morning followed by WXYZ and WDIV come up a few points behind. WXYZ leads noon

WDIV win 5,6,11pm XYZ #2 at 6/11pm JBK #2 or tie with WXYZ at 5pm.

Indy- WTHR wins morning, 5,6,11pm WISH win noon but #2 in other areas, WRTV #3 while WXIN #4 but besting WRTV for third place.

Raleigh/Durham- WRAL wins across the board, WTVD #2 and WNCN last place

Cincinnati- WKRC wins across the board, WCPO fight for #2 while WLWT trying hard to leave #3 to grab #2 and WXIX at the end.

Piedmont/Triad: I've been seeing a promo for WXII stating that they're #1 in the mornings, 5:00, 6:00 (with even bigger gains than WGHP and WFMY), and 11:00, and it'll continue to be that way with WGHP still #2 (despite claims they have the largest news operation) and WFMY last.

WXII and WGHP still use anchor desks most of the time while WFMY ditched theirs some time ago. That's Gannettization for you.

Seattle: KING will remain king, followed by KIRO, KOMO, and KCPQ. But who wants to live in a city where housing costs are up the wazoo and where one county votes entirely by mail rather than in person? I sure as hell wouldn't.

In Chicago, I don't really expect anything to change. Everyone's settled into their own little spot, and I can't imagine the needle moving too much in either direction. In order...

Morning - WGN, WLS and WMAQ fight for second, WBBM, and WFLD

Midday - WGN, WBBM and WLS fight for 2 at 11, WMAQ, and WFLD

Early Evening - WLS, WMAQ, and WBBM, but WGN at 5pm is tough to place, but I'd guess 3rd or (likely) 4th

9pm - WGN, WFLD (no contest)

10pm - WLS, WMAQ will have a few good nights and may approach ABC7, WBBM may eek out a few second place finishes, too. If ABC's programming improves in the next year or so, WLS will widen their lead again, though they still have a solid 2.5-5 point lead on the 2 others.

I feel like Kansas City is such a turbulent market when it comes to ratings. What happens one sweeps period is by no means an idea of what you can expect the next time around. I feel like I've seen some stations here completely switch positions between one sweeps and the next. Of course, I could be wrong though.

Anywho, KMBC will definitely take the 10pm, while WDAF and KMBC will battle it out for 6am. 5 and 6pm will also probably go to WDAF, but I keep thinking that KCTV or KSHB will sneak in there somehow and surprise everyone.

I feel like Kansas City is such a turbulent market when it comes to ratings. What happens one sweeps period is by no means an idea of what you can expect the next time around. I feel like I've seen some stations here completely switch positions between one sweeps and the next. Of course, I could be wrong though.

Anywho, KMBC will definitely take the 10pm, while WDAF and KMBC will battle it out for 6am. 5 and 6pm will also probably go to WDAF, but I keep thinking that KCTV or KSHB will sneak in there somehow and surprise everyone.

agreed!

Piedmont/Triad: I've been seeing a promo for WXII stating that they're #1 in the mornings, 5:00, 6:00 (with even bigger gains than WGHP and WFMY), and 11:00, and it'll continue to be that way with WGHP still #2 (despite claims they have the largest news operation) and WFMY last.

WXII and WGHP still use anchor desks most of the time while WFMY ditched theirs some time ago. That's Gannettization for you.

Seattle: KING will remain king, followed by KIRO, KOMO, and KCPQ. But who wants to live in a city where housing costs are up the wazoo and where one county votes entirely by mail rather than in person? I sure as hell wouldn't.

I know KING wins hands down but I thought KOMO was a strong #2 and KIRO was third but at 11pm KIRO beats KOMO? During Fisher final yrs they claim KOMO #1...

Archived