Tower V.5?

Leavellebrett

I just noticed that the NMSA has a new update tonight. I'm seeing that there is now a Tower V.5 from 615 Music. It appears as though WSMV is using it. Does anyone have details?

I talked about it a couple of months ago when WSMV switched to Look F. It's a nice update to a 13-year-old package.

But didn't Tower V.4 just come out a few years ago in like, 2008 or 9 or something?

Yes. This is not Tower V.5 as my esteemed friend and the NMSA claim it is. We know that every version of Tower has had a unique signature ending in the three-note chime. If you listen carefully, you will recognize that the signature is the same as Tower V.4. I find it more likely that this is likely a custom update for WSMV of Tower V.4.

Was there a Newswire V.2 before, because it is showing that there too. I don't know if that would be the new WAVY cuts or what WLVI used right before they got taken over by WHDH.

The new WAVY stuff. It sounds a lot like "A New Wish" IMO.

Interesting how that'll be packaged since Newswire has numerous updates… WAVY had some updates in 2001 or so, as well as several updates for WLVI.

• 4 weeks later...

The theme that WSMV is using is indeed a cut from Tower. The Tower has a 7-note signature followed by a 3-note NBC chime; if the chimes are not played, an 8th note is added as a resolve. All this business about a different NBC chime sequence is nonsense and doesn’t mean a thing. The NBC chimes, while typically played in the notes of G, E and C, can also be played in virtually an other key (D-B-G // F-D-Bb // D#-C-G#). What makes The Tower in fact The Tower is the 7-note logo, not the 3-note NBC chimes.

Logos/signatures are delicate things. Stephen Arnold Music takes the most liberty with their signatures, as many don’t stay in the same key or have extra resolve notes. Gari is more true to the signature, and 615 probably sticks to the literal signature the most... almost 100% of the time. Listen to the YouTube video again and I think you’ll agree."

I completely agree and was not arguing to the contrary. However, each version of Tower has a different signature ending in the 3-note NBC chime (given the variance of other keys). V.1 has a different signature than V.2, which has a different signature than V.3, which has a different signature than V.4. All end in the 3-note NBC chime, but that is not my point. My point is that if Tower V.5 exists, why does it have the same signature as Version 4? Does that indeed make it a different version or just an update. That's the confusion. I realize that 615 may have confirmed that WAVY has Newswire V.2, but I would ague that based on their current hierarchy, it should be an update disc(s).

615 does a lot of custom work for their hometown (Nashville) stations. For Example: WKRN's opening cut of Coverage has more stings than the syndicated version, and WTVF got Impact updated to V.6. I wouldn't be surprised if 615 did a custom version of Tower for WSMV.

You and I are on the same wavelength.

615 does a lot of custom work for their hometown (Nashville) stations. For Example: WKRN's opening cut of Coverage has more stings than the syndicated version, and WTVF got Impact updated to V.6. I wouldn't be surprised if 615 did a custom version of Tower for WSMV.

Impact V6 is syndicated though (KEYT uses it)...

• 1 month later...

Well, it is official, Tower V.5 is now on the the website

http://www.warnerchappellpm.com/tower-news-music-series/

Wow. They wasted no time making a version 5. It sounds nice, however I think that I might like T4 better. That actiony sports theme just sounds plain weird. I really wish, though, that my local NBC affiliate could pick up The Tower and use it. :(

The one thing I've always appreciated about the Tower franchise is that, while each version has evolved, the packages haven't strayed so far that they can't be used concurrently. Each has its own attitude and tone that makes it desirable for TV stations.

V.1 is still arguably the best rendition...but I'm incredibly biased. It's grand, orchestral, and all-around one of my favorite themes ever.

V.2 is definitely a departure from the original. It's far more driving, rhythmic, and kinda gritty...almost tabloid-ish.

I've always thought of V.3 as a crossbreed of it's predecessors.

I'm kinda indifferent on V.4, it's definitely my least favorite in the whole package. I dunno.

V.5, is a very nice change from V.4. I feel that it ties-in well with the original, but (like Gari has done) I can't help but think it's 615's answer to L.A. Groove. That's not a bad thing.

The one thing I've always appreciated about the Tower franchise is that, while each version has evolved, the packages haven't strayed so far that they can't be used concurrently. Each has its own attitude and tone that makes it desirable for TV stations.

V.1 is still arguably the best rendition...but I'm incredibly biased. It's grand, orchestral, and all-around one of my favorite themes ever.

V.2 is definitely a departure from the original. It's far more driving, rhythmic, and kinda gritty...almost tabloid-ish.

I've always thought of V.3 as a crossbreed of it's predecessors.

I'm kinda indifferent on V.4, it's definitely my least favorite in the whole package. I dunno.

V.5, is a very nice change from V.4. I feel that it ties-in well with the original, but (like Gari has done) I can't help but think it's 615's answer to L.A. Groove. That's not a bad thing.

I agree. L.A. Groove is getting a little stale, it hasn't been updated since 2006? I do like Tower V.5 as a replacement for L.A. Groove, more than Gari's attempted rendition of it.

I agree. L.A. Groove is getting a little stale, it hasn't been updated since 2006? I do like Tower V.5 as a replacement for L.A. Groove, more than Gari's attempted rendition of it.

I disagree. Buuutttt, have you heard the WNBC tease cuts?

Those are awesome!

I disagree. Buuutttt, have you heard the WNBC tease cuts?

Those are awesome!

Haven't heard those cuts, but I will say that there are some cuts from L.A. Groove that I really like. Like this closing cut (tune in at :47):

Archived