Gray buying Hoak & Prime Stations

tyrannical bastard

Why? One's News-Press Gazette and the other is Gray. KREX and KFQX are being sold to Nexstar and Mission, respectively.

No KJCT was sold back in August:

OMG, Gray is about to have a SHELL???!!

TVNewsCheck have posted that News-Press & Gazette Company has announced that it has agreed to sell KJCT Grand Junction to this newly formed company, Excalibur Broadcasting, LLC for over $3M. It also states that other non-FCC licensed assets will be sold by Gray proper for $9M. Excalibur is ran by former Gray Regional VP & GM of leading station WSAZ 3.

This move will break that longtime sister-station relationship between KJCT & Colorado Springs' ABC station KRDO, since Pikes Peak owned the two stations in the early 80s.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Three things that I think are being underthought:

• This means no NBC service in Kearney. Gray will need to start a translator there because KSNB does not reach that area of the market.

I'm not too sure if Gray is going to build a translator over at Kearney there or not (to me I doubt it). I'm not even sure if KOLN will have dual HD on the CBS & NBC or not. But it won't be good, picture quality wise.

Since KOLN will simulcast KSNB's 4.1 signal on 10.2, I certainly hope they would keep its MyNet/Me-TV channel on LP channel 18 (K18CD-D), because it wouldn't be good to lose Me-TV over the air, even though most areas outside of Lincoln would lose that MyNet programming in some sections. Many would probably see NBC over the air for the first time in Lincoln with 10.2.

But I'm still pissed that fact that another TV station, well now three more TV stations have to go dark in less than two hours (KHAS, KXND & KNDX). And old Devil Wheeler says we want to close loopholes and boost on competition & diversity, but how he can he do that, and folks are actually closing down actual TV stations and placing streams on another full power station, which eliminates another voice in the market. And all this devil cares about is how many television stations go dark so he can reuse them after auction time. Even if they grab those stations in those small markets like Omaha, Lincoln and areas due west of that don't need all that spectrum.

Thundershock MN is right. We're going to see more of this, and it is really sad. No TV station should go away, period. Let's see how Wheeler is going to entangle all of this.

Is their branding still going to be channel 5? And how about filing to change KSNB's calls to KHAS?

Who knows. Another set of calls just came open after the license went dark in that market, and that would be KTVG (the station had been off for years).

In regards to branding, nothing has changed online or on social media.

It's also worth noting KOLN and KGIN are putting KSNB (NBC) on their DT2, according to the official shutdown package.

EDIT: At midnight it looks like KREX and WMBB are officially becoming Nexstar stations. I wound up in a conversation with KREX EP/reporter Jacklyn Thrapp on Twitter, after she was trying to figure out what happened with KHAS. The acquisitions must all have closed?

EDIT: At midnight it looks like KREX and WMBB are officially becoming Nexstar stations. I wound up in a conversation with KREX EP/reporter Jacklyn Thrapp on Twitter, after she was trying to figure out what happened with KHAS. The acquisitions must all have closed?

Looks like Hoak may be ready to close it out, while we still have a few things that's left uncertain.

• What will happen to KFQX, which that have a granddaddy LMA with KREX. Is Nexstar going follow Gray's lead and place KFQX's signal on KREX sub, and replace its MyNet .2 stream?
  • What they're going to do with KXJB & KAQY? Although you might move CBS programming to KVLY and ditch Me-TV, it might not be easy to move ABC programming to KNOE, without dropping its CW affiliation on 8.2.
  • And if the KHAS license doesn't get cancelled, who will acquire the license of the station, even though Gray appears to have taken the rest of the intellectual units & non-license assets.

EDIT 10:20am/EDT 6/13: Hoak Media's website was active yesterday, now today it looks like they're now in the process of taken down the website.

Three things that I think are being underthought:

• This means no NBC service in Kearney. Gray will need to start a translator there because KSNB does not reach that area of the market.
  • But KSNB *does* reach Lincoln, and the potential is there for Gray to encourage Lincoln cable providers to switch from WOWT to KSNB.
  • That, in turn, would put pressure on Citadel and Pappas to finally combine their ABC operation. With KOLN, KSNB and KFXL as market-wide operations, the two stations splitting the market does not make business sense. I've been saying for years that I'm surprised Pappas has not sold yet. Despite potential complications, KHGI, KFXL and KLKN combined would not only be able to produce a split newscast for each half of the market, but they would offer advertisers the same market-wide reach. In addition the combined ABC service would still reach into North Platte, much like KOLN (with KNPL-LD) and KSNB (with KNOP).

Now that Gray owns both, this shouldn't be that big an issue. You have to wonder how long is KHAS/KSNB is going to keep its operations out in Hastings. Seems like the next step is to move everyone into Lincoln.

I must say, this doesn't bother me nearly as much as the Sinclair/Allbrittion deal. KHAS wasn't nearly the station that ABC 33/40 and WCIV are. Plus, the main city in the market, Lincoln, is now better served.

Still though, this could get ridiculous.

The Deal Is DONE!!! At least partially.

Gray has announced the closing of the Gray/Hoak deal today.

Gray will provide services for the Parker's KAQY & KXJB in the interim; at which afterwards both programming streams will be moved to the subchannels of KNOE & KVLY, respectively. And it also stated the TV station shutdowns of KHAS & KNDX/KXND.

But wait there's more. In the next few months, Gray will also move its programming streams of KJCT to the subchannel of KKCO. Gray will not surrender the licenses to those (already and soon-to-be) silent stations. Gray has reached out to the Minority Media & Telecommunications Council to be an exclusive broker to find minority owners to buy those silent stations.

Also concurrent to Gray's announcement, Nexstar has announce the closing of the Hoak stations KREX & the satellites & WMBB. Nexstar will provide service to KFQX under that grandfathered LMA, as they wait for the FCC to greenlight the application, at which if it does, Mission will pay Parker $3.2M.

So you see, Nexstar still want to ride on this, and I don't think they'll want to follow Gray's lead to move streams and have Dual HD on one frequency.

I must say, this doesn't bother me nearly as much as the Sinclair/Allbrittion deal. KHAS wasn't nearly the station that ABC 33/40 and WCIV are. Plus, the main city in the market, Lincoln, is now better served.

Yeah KHAS was probably not like ABC 33/40, but that little central Nebraska station had 58 years of history going down the drain after last night's cut-off. At least I'm happy that Gray isn't going to surrender those licenses, and the MMTC is going to find some buyers who really need a signal.

Yes, this is ridiculous. I don't condole this shutting down of a TV station at any cost. Stations like WCFT/WJSU & KHAS, KSNB, KOLN/KGIN and others need a TV station for emergency info. Folks that live in the eastern & western edges of Alabama might not get their ABC signal, should Wheeler greenlights the Heathen's latest proposal, because they would lose their lifeline when another big storm hits their areas. Nebraska is not far from tornado alley. They're not immmune to any storms either.

It's good to have your mobile & wireless devices, but I believe TV is still your lifeline for emergency information. This is the major reason why I'm not for this shitty Broadband Plan mess where they're hungry for frequencies so the wireless gooks can use them. I'm also not a fan of this dual HD crap, but as you see this will be the new trend that will grow at a rapid pace.

With all do respect this is the exact same thing. I can understand the point you are making with regards to Lincoln. But, there really is no difference between what happened (or, will soon happen) in Bismarck, Minot, Fargo, Grand Junction & Monroe and what Sinclair is proposing to do in Birmingham & Charleston.

Gray has announced the closing of the Gray/Hoak deal today.

Gray will provide services for the Parker's KAQY & KXJB in the interim. And also stated the TV station shutdowns of KHAS & KNDX/KXND.

But wait there's more. In the next few months, Gray will also move its programming streams of KXJB, KAQY & KJCT to the subchannels of KVLY, KNOE & KKCO respectively. Gray will not surrender the licenses to those (already and soon-to-be) silent stations. Gray has reached out to the Minority Media & Telecommunications Council to be an exclusive broker to find a minority buyer those for the silent stations.

Get ready the next wave is about to come rolling in.

And, does anyone really think MMTC will find a buyer? I mean honestly...these stations are now silent (or, soon will be) and have been stripped of everything. What value do they really have? I'm not even sure they'd have much value to a speculator. They aren't in major markets where the additional spectrum is really needed/valued. The stations disappearing would help the FCC with the repacking however no matter where they are...less stations...less conflicts.

And, does anyone really think MMTC will find a buyer? I mean honestly...these stations are now silent (or, soon will be) and have been stripped of everything. What value do they really have? I'm not even sure they'd have much value to a speculator. They aren't in major markets where the additional spectrum is really needed/valued. The stations disappearing would help the FCC with the repacking however no matter where they are...less stations...less conflicts.

Except when said station is on low VHF (KHAS) or high VHF (KAQY).

Except when said station is on low VHF (KHAS) or high VHF (KAQY).

I know what your getting at that VHF stations have limited options in the incentive auction. And, therefore their value is less than their UHF brethren.

However, It still helps the FCC if they leave the air regardless of band. It opens up the door for another station in the market (or, an adjacent market) to move from UHF to VHF. Or, move from VHF-hi to VHF-lo. Yes, I know that the FCC can't reassign stations from UHF to VHF or from VHF-hi to VHF-lo. But, it does open the door for other stations within the market (or, adjacent markets) to voluntarily move. That option is not possible (or, is limited) with those stations currently occupying VHF channels.

Unless there is something I'm missing....

There's another amendment regarding the yet-to-be approved Excalibur transfers. It has now posted a 3rd Amendment of its purchase agreement, which thoroughly state their plans to resell the stations to independent buyers and transfer the programs on the Parker stations to Gray stations on an HD subchannel.

Gray wants the program transfers to happen by September 1st, and to find a buyer for the displaced stations within six months.

Silent STAs for KNDX/KXND was posted tonight.

We know why they turned off their signal but their reasoning:

JUSTIFICATION FOR REQUEST

THE LICENSEE HAS LOST ITS PROGRAMMING CONTRACT FOR THE STATION.

It didn't say, we ask that we can go silent for a period of 180 days until we find programming. Well, they can go silent, but if they stay silent for over a year, that license will be cancelled.

Let's see if there's any buyers who want to take KNDX.

• 3 months later...

I'm bumping this thread to report this. KSNB has decided it looked stupid to brand themselves as "channel 5" even though they moved to 4 now, so they developed their new brand which took to the air October 1.

KSNBNBC4.png

Everything's the same except the website, logo and graphics which were changed.

I'm bumping this thread to report this. KSNB has decided it looked stupid to brand themselves as "channel 5" even though they moved to 4 now, so they developed their new brand which took to the air October 1.

KSNBNBC4.png

Everything's the same except the website, logo and graphics which were changed.

Wow, they finally realized they are now on KSNB and subchannels of 10/11? Oh well.

Will it affect KNOP and WOWT?

Do these stations actually cover Lincoln? I know 10/11 did but didn't this station always cover areas to the West of Lincoln? Based on the comments on the article, people are not too happy about this.

At least they are keeping it on cable in Lincoln, just in SD on an odd position in the channel lineup.

Do these stations actually cover Lincoln? I know 10/11 did but didn't this station always cover areas to the West of Lincoln? Based on the comments on the article, people are not too happy about this.

At least they are keeping it on cable in Lincoln, just in SD on an odd position in the channel lineup.

KHAS never entered into the Lincoln portion of the market as it was based in Hastings. This is a major change for Lincoln viewers and it is one I immediately predicted when it was announced that KSNB would take the affiliation. KSNB actually does reach Lincoln OTA.

KOLN/KGIN has been there from the start and was Lincoln's only TV station for a very long time.

KLKN was basically a created instrument, once part of the NTV network out of Albion and at another time a relayer of KCAU in Sioux City, but even then KETV was the ABC affiliate of record in Lincoln until Citadel carved it out as a new station in Lincoln proper.

Pappas similarly pushed cable systems to pick up KFXL and drop KPTM. I believe one of the motivators for then-KCWL to be flipped to Fox was to allow Pappas to maintain rights to Fox television in Lincoln, because earlier in 2009 Pappas was forced to sell KPTM to Titan.

Found this on KHAS-TV Facebook:

https://www.facebook...152655163801999

Won't be surprised if Sinclair get NTV. But Pappas TV are struggling, isn't it?

I thought Sinclair bought Pappas but I guess they only bought parts of it. I've noticed that a lot of people seem to be resenting the fact that KHAS is now owned by the same people who one 10/11.

Archived