San Diego Nov. 2013 Sweeps results

A3N

KGTV and KNSD are incredibly aggressive with such petty "breaking news" stories.. but 9 times out of 10 they're running a reporter out to a cold scene with very little broll and barely enough information (often not confirmed or absolutely wrong) for a 45 second hit... just for the sake of being "live" with a "new" or "developing" story. Oh how I hate seeing things branded as "developing stories".. especially stories that have already fully developed!

Must be a Scripps thing (or something left over from the McGraw-Hill days) because I remember watching a newscast on KMGH in which every other story that night way a "developing story". Talk about beating a dead horse.

I will agree with everyone who claims KUSI is not technologically advanced, and I only agree because their other two stations KIII (which is actually their original station before they moved to California in the 80's) and KBMT also had crappy equipment until London bought them and immediately made considerable investments (including new cameras and finally moving to HD), and hell I think they probably have better equipment than KUSI does. KIII is much better under London than under McKinnon. KIII still has a clone of KUSI's set (from 2000 when they moved to their new building which is a converted department store) and that's the one thing London could invest in.

However, I make my judgment on KUSI based on their content and personalities, not on how technologically advanced they are. Yes when I went to San Diego in 2010 KUSI looked like it was in the mid 90's but I still watched it because it had the news and that was I wanted. If I went back this time around I would watch still them. I also read the U-T back then when it was still owned by the private equity firm. Although the quality of the news writing was incredibly bad, it is much worse under their new ownership. San Diego does not have a real newspaper anymore and hasn't since Copley gave out and it's unfortunate.

I also base my judgements on those things as well as technology. Technology has to be factored in these days because technology is a factor in news gathering, not just appearance.

Now, as far as personalities go, a station has to have a balance of veteran personalities and younger personalities. The Veterans for experience obviously, but to also groom the younger personalities. Eventually the Veterans have to retire and a good station should have someone in house to take their place that know the market. This to me is another reason why KUSI fails. They have a high turnover rate and I don't see many people who can move into main anchor positions and stay for a while. KFMB is the exact opposite. They don't have anyone who has enough experience in the market to move into those roles and have the turnover issue with it's reporters. KNSD seems to have the best mixture and generally over the last few years have been able to have put people with market experience in anchor roles (ex Catherine Garcia and Monica Dean) while having people in lower profile roles being groomed for the future (ex Danya Baachus, Megan Tevrizian, Nicole Gomez, Steven Luke, Greg Bledsoe, and Mari Payton). KGTV seems to me starting to try to do the same to a lesser extent.

So because of their personality issues, KUSI's content suffers. It's stale at best and borders on unprofessional to me (I mean Michael Turko and John Coleman need I say more). And they can't attract anyone on their way up in the industry without things like technology, a positive reputation and ratings in the right demo to make someone feel like they'll get something out of working there.

I hope I made some sense. I'm not attacking anyone's view, simply stating my perception of things.

I also base my judgements on those things as well as technology. Technology has to be factored in these days because technology is a factor in news gathering, not just appearance.

Now, as far as personalities go, a station has to have a balance of veteran personalities and younger personalities. The Veterans for experience obviously, but to also groom the younger personalities. Eventually the Veterans have to retire and a good station should have someone in house to take their place that know the market. This to me is another reason why KUSI fails. They have a high turnover rate and I don't see many people who can move into main anchor positions and stay for a while. KFMB is the exact opposite. They don't have anyone who has enough experience in the market to move into those roles and have the turnover issue with it's reporters. KNSD seems to have the best mixture and generally over the last few years have been able to have put people with market experience in anchor roles (ex Catherine Garcia and Monica Dean) while having people in lower profile roles being groomed for the future (ex Danya Baachus, Megan Tevrizian, Nicole Gomez, Steven Luke, Greg Bledsoe, and Mari Payton). KGTV seems to me starting to try to do the same to a lesser extent.

So because of their personality issues, KUSI's content suffers. It's stale at best and borders on unprofessional to me (I mean Michael Turko and John Coleman need I say more). And they can't attract anyone on their way up in the industry without things like technology, a positive reputation and ratings in the right demo to make someone feel like they'll get something out of working there.

I hope I made some sense. I'm not attacking anyone's view, simply stating my perception of things.

KFMB's reporter ranks were pretty stable for a while. It's only recently they're seeing a lot of reporters coming and going. But I think they've made some good hires to fill in the holes. Most of their staff has 10 years or more in the market. It's nowhere near as bad as KGTV. They don't have many in-house anchor candidates because their reporters seem to average 5 or 6 months before they're either run or running out the door....then again its not a surprise given some of the horror stories I've heard from inside that shop.

KNSD's door is spinning too. They just lost Lea Sutton (soon to be Lea Gabrielle of FOX News) and are about to lose Brandi Powell. Most of their newbies come from really small markets and have little experience... and it shows. But they still put out a decent product.. especially weeknights at 11pm.

KUSI.... gosh it's like they're not even trying anymore. Their stiffs seem to just show up, rehash something from a day or two earlier, phone it in, and punch out. If you ask me there is only one reason to watch that station, and her name is Leslie Lopez. Hubba hubba!

San Diego does not have a real newspaper anymore and hasn't since Copley gave out and it's unfortunate.

Amen. It's nothing more than a right-wing ragsheet hellbent on destroying the Port and replacing it with a stadim/sports arena complex built with public money. They've admitted as much by publishing a front page above-the-fold editorial of their grand vision. A longtime respected sportswriter was fired because he refused to push the plan in his writing. After Democrat Bob Filner was elected mayor in 2012, the paper hired a reporter with the specific task of doing what ever it took to force him out of office (something Filner ended up doing on his own.) But even after they took a victory lap with TWO front page editorials and a third inside shamelessly ripping him to shreds. I know this is way off topic but I need to vent on this. It's disgusting what's become of the UT. As for UT-TV.. well some things are so awful they just speak for themselves.

KFMB's reporter ranks were pretty stable for a while. It's only recently they're seeing a lot of reporters coming and going. But I think they've made some good hires to fill in the holes. Most of their staff has 10 years or more in the market. It's nowhere near as bad as KGTV. They don't have many in-house anchor candidates because their reporters seem to average 5 or 6 months before they're either run or running out the door....then again its not a surprise given some of the horror stories I've heard from inside that shop.

KNSD's door is spinning too. They just lost Lea Sutton (soon to be Lea Gabrielle of FOX News) and are about to lose Brandi Powell. Most of their newbies come from really small markets and have little experience... and it shows. But they still put out a decent product.. especially weeknights at 11pm.

KUSI.... gosh it's like they're not even trying anymore. Their stiffs seem to just show up, rehash something from a day or two earlier, phone it in, and punch out. If you ask me there is only one reason to watch that station, and her name is Leslie Lopez. Hubba hubba!

Amen. It's nothing more than a right-wing ragsheet hellbent on destroying the Port and replacing it with a stadim/sports arena complex built with public money. They've admitted as much by publishing a front page above-the-fold editorial of their grand vision. A longtime respected sportswriter was fired because he refused to push the plan in his writing. After Democrat Bob Filner was elected mayor in 2012, the paper hired a reporter with the specific task of doing what ever it took to force him out of office (something Filner ended up doing on his own.) But even after they took a victory lap with TWO front page editorials and a third inside shamelessly ripping him to shreds. I know this is way off topic but I need to vent on this. It's disgusting what's become of the UT. As for UT-TV.. well some things are so awful they just speak for themselves.

Where is Brandi Powell going? She really improved over time at KNSD, sad to know she is leaving. Which would explain why Omari Fleming from WTXF in Philadelphia is coming to KNSD. In regards to the UT, the place is a joke and sadly Manchester and his cronies have an outlet to spew their propaganda out to the area. Unfortunately you can't point out their bias or blatant disregard for true journalism because they immediately cover it up. If you try to post a comment contradictory to their "reports" they end up deleting it. This was evident during the mayoral race last year and how they gave preferential treatment to Carl Demaio the Republican mayoral candidate. Hell, even just a few months ago, look at what happened to Nathan Fletcher, one of two Democratic candidates to replace Bob Filner, Nathan ended up getting thrashed by the UT. This is what they call journalism? This will go on as long as Manchester owns the UT, plus it's in his best interest that the newspaper pump up or "support" more redevelopment in Downtown because of course he owns several pieces of property including the Grand Hyatt. How convenient. He has also has deep pockets, so let's see how long this propaganda machine can go which i'm pretty sure is sinking by the day (just like their "tv station"). There are better alternatives in voiceofsandiego.org, the reader and a few others out there, if anyone still cares about true journalism.

Archived