San Diego Nov. 2013 Sweeps results

A3N

A bit messy, but based on an article in UT San Diego, here are the November 2013 sweeps numbers:

4:30am

1. KNSD (NBC)

5am

1. KUSI (IND)

2. KNSD (NBC)

6am

1. KNSD (NBC)

11am

1. KFMB (CBS)

2. KGTV (ABC)

3. KNSD (NBC)

5pm

1. KFMB (CBS)

2. KNSD (NBC)

6pm

1. CBS Evening News (KFMB)

2. KNSD (NBC)

6:30pm

1. KFMB (CBS)

10pm

1. KUSI (IND)

11pm

1. KFMB (CBS)

2. KGTV (ABC)

3. KNSD (NBC)

The article only gave out the winners and in some cases the 2nd and 3rd place spots depending on the time period. There are few gaps as far as who came in second. It is mentioned that KGTV edged KNSD for second place at 11am and 11pm. Link to the article is below:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/dec/05/several-winners-november-sweeps/

No mention of KSWB or XETV in comparison to KUSI? I think it may stem from the McKinnons being so closely tied to the U-T's John Lynch.

KUSI is such a joke compared to the other SD stations. But, some people do like the way they cover the news. It's like Sinclair owns the station, but they don't.

No mention of KSWB or XETV in comparison to KUSI? I think it may stem from the McKinnons being so closely tied to the U-T's John Lynch.

KUSI is such a joke compared to the other SD stations. But, some people do like the way they cover the news. It's like Sinclair owns the station, but they don't.

No mention of either, and it's probably on purpose. I don't get what the big deal is in regards to releasing actual sweeps numbers, its not like its some super secret government level spy information. The only reason KUSI manages to stay on is because of its old audience. There are a lot of seniors in San Diego that prefer KUSI because of their veteran (cough*dinosaurs*cough) personalities- and of course John Coleman and his crazy right wing views on global warming. This fall's FOX programming has not helped KSWB too much, although with their weird format of having one anchor at the main desk and the other at a secondary desk, i'm sure that it has driven viewers over to KUSI. KSWB better step it up, they haven't won any sweeps in a while whether it be in the AM or PM and a new gm needs to make changes. XETV is a joke, more so than KUSI and hasn't been relevant since a few years before they lost their FOX affiliation. I'm still surprised that they can put out a product quite frankly.

I think XETV may be starting to invest in it's product. They have hired more reporters in this last month and even a co-anchor for the weekday 10p newscast. I honestly think they potentially could overtake KSWB. I watched them during sweeps and they had better stories and with the help they get with having a partnership with KGTV, there's something there. Maybe Scripps should buy XETV and merge those operations. Anyway, we'll just have to see what the future brings.

I think XETV may be starting to invest in it's product. They have hired more reporters in this last month and even a co-anchor for the weekday 10p newscast. I honestly think they potentially could overtake KSWB. I watched them during sweeps and they had better stories and with the help they get with having a partnership with KGTV, there's something there. Maybe Scripps should buy XETV and merge those operations. Anyway, we'll just have to see what the future brings.

XETV is licensed in Mexico and thus technically cannot be purchased by a U.S. company. I'm pretty sure that some kind of SSA could be worked out involving XETV and another station in town, but then again that is up to its parent company Televisa.

XETV is licensed in Mexico and thus technically cannot be purchased by a U.S. company. I'm pretty sure that some kind of SSA could be worked out involving XETV and another station in town, but then again that is up to its parent company Televisa.

XETV's English-language operations are handled by a company called Bay City Television which is a Televisa holding. So Televisa owns and operates the station. That said, a sale would likely be structured in some manner that Bay City Television would be sold on the US side while Televisa would retain the license itself. Mexico does not permit foreigners to own broadcast outlets whatsoever, much like you can't be a foreigner and develop a mine in Mexico; there's quite a bit of nationalist sentiment written into the Mexican Constitution (which is longer, larger, more detailed and more often edited than its American counterpart).

KUSI is far and away the best newscast in that market. I definitely like how they cover the news. I like how you mention Sinclair for no reason...

No mention of either, and it's probably on purpose. I don't get what the big deal is in regards to releasing actual sweeps numbers, its not like its some super secret government level spy information. The only reason KUSI manages to stay on is because of its old audience. There are a lot of seniors in San Diego that prefer KUSI because of their veteran (cough*dinosaurs*cough) personalities- and of course John Coleman and his crazy right wing views on global warming. This fall's FOX programming has not helped KSWB too much, although with their weird format of having one anchor at the main desk and the other at a secondary desk, i'm sure that it has driven viewers over to KUSI. KSWB better step it up, they haven't won any sweeps in a while whether it be in the AM or PM and a new gm needs to make changes. XETV is a joke, more so than KUSI and hasn't been relevant since a few years before they lost their FOX affiliation. I'm still surprised that they can put out a product quite frankly.

I couldn't disagree with you more. Not trying to get too political but his "crazy right wing views on global warming" are probably right (I would have to hear them first). Now anyways, I think it's great they have veteran personalities (I wouldn't call them dinosaurs) and you don't really see anybody under the age of 45 on that station (there's a couple, but not many). I would rather watch somebody experienced delivering the news than some pretty young blonde fresh from J-school. This is unlike NBC 39 who tends to hire people with less than five years of experience in the field as reporters, and quite frankly the people they hire do not belong in San Diego but rather in smaller market where they can get more experience first. KSWB does the absolute worst job in that market and they are difficult to watch. I couldn't watch that station more than five minutes. Them and KTLA do not take news seriously and should just close their news operations already. Again they tend to hire their people based on looks and not on experience. I hope this is not what you are using as the basis for what newscast you watch...

XETV manages to stay on because their owners are extremely wealthy. They can afford to keep it on the air even if it is not making a profit. Televisa has owned XETV since day one and they are not going to give that up. I agree with the poster who thinks XETV has better content, they do. The quality of that product is better and even if they don't have a lot of resources you can tell the people there really try to put out the best product they can considering their limited resources.

I am confused. KSWB is running promos for their 5p & 6p newsacasts saying they are number one evenings. I keep missing the small print at the bottom of that promo.

Maybe in the demos? (which are actually more important than total households anyways)

KUSI is far and away the best newscast in that market. I definitely like how they cover the news. I like how you mention Sinclair for no reason...

I couldn't disagree with you more. Not trying to get too political but his "crazy right wing views on global warming" are probably right (I would have to hear them first). Now anyways, I think it's great they have veteran personalities (I wouldn't call them dinosaurs) and you don't really see anybody under the age of 45 on that station (there's a couple, but not many). I would rather watch somebody experienced delivering the news than some pretty young blonde fresh from J-school. This is unlike NBC 39 who tends to hire people with less than five years of experience in the field as reporters, and quite frankly the people they hire do not belong in San Diego but rather in smaller market where they can get more experience first. KSWB does the absolute worst job in that market and they are difficult to watch. I couldn't watch that station more than five minutes. Them and KTLA do not take news seriously and should just close their news operations already. Again they tend to hire their people based on looks and not on experience. I hope this is not what you are using as the basis for what newscast you watch...

XETV manages to stay on because their owners are extremely wealthy. They can afford to keep it on the air even if it is not making a profit. Televisa has owned XETV since day one and they are not going to give that up. I agree with the poster who thinks XETV has better content, they do. The quality of that product is better and even if they don't have a lot of resources you can tell the people there really try to put out the best product they can considering their limited resources.

Maybe in the demos? (which are actually more important than total households anyways)

How can you know they're right if you yourself say that you would have to hear them first? There may be some truth to what John Coleman says about global warming, but then again there is always some truth to both sides of an argument. The problem with Coleman is that he basically craps on everyone else who does not agree with him. Hey, i'm fine with him having an opinion about global warming (that's his prerogative) but it'd be in the public's interest to hear both sides of the argument when he does his "specials" on global warming. KUSI does have a few good things going for them and they're one of the top independents in the country (at least in my book), they do put out a good amount of news which is good. The issue they need to address is adding a few more reporters to their staff since some newscasts (mainly on weekends) are so short staffed that they don't even have a reporter available to cover a story out in the field. In regards to KSWB, I agree that place is a joke, but then again the news director was the ND at KTLA so that may be why they're trying to be a KTLA jr. Also, KSWB's general manager passed away a few weeks ago and he started with the station right before the took over the FOX affiliation, so a new gm needs to make some changes around that place. KNSD does with what NBC/Comcast gives them and if that entails lesser-experienced reporters who also MMJ then what else can they do? It's not like their staff is full of all rookies, they have some of the best veteran and most respected reporters in the market. Most of XETV's reporters are even less experienced than KNSD's MMJ's, but they put out something and it's better than nothing I suppose.

Sounds like KUSI is the TV equivalent of UT San Diego.

Ok...maybe that's a little harsh considering what an embarrassment UT San Diego is now under it's current ownership.

And we thought Sam Zell did a terrible job running the Tribune newspapers, sheesh...

Them and KTLA do not take news seriously and should just close their news operations already. Again they tend to hire their people based on looks and not on experience.

That's not a Tribune thing, that's a Southern California thing. All the stations down there do that.

And I respectfully disagree about KTLA not taking news seriously. That might have been the case back in the 2000's, but compared to KTTV, they do a pretty good job of covering the news in Southern California without getting too carried away with the fluff and gossip.

KTLA has been my go to station if I ever wanted to find out about news in LA.

That's not a Tribune thing, that's a Southern California thing. All the stations down there do that.

And I respectfully disagree about KTLA not taking news seriously. That might have been the case back in the 2000's, but compared to KTTV, they do a pretty good job of covering the news in Southern California without getting too carried away with the fluff and gossip.

I agree. From the early 2000's to prior to Corsini taking over KTLA, the station was a joke. Ever since then, he has built that station up and made it a player in the L.A. market. Yes, they might have their light/fun side but it's not like it's constantly like that. When something major happens, they're on it. Also, for the most part before Sam Zell took over Tribune, each station was pretty much autonomous in how they ran their shop. After Zell came in, they started to cut and micro-manage the stations and look at how well that turned out. Now, it seems like they're going back to allowing the stations to make their own decisions, etc. but sure they're trying to save money (graphics hub, etc.) and that's to be expected.

Sorry if I was trying to say Tribune does not take news seriously. Most of their stations do. KTXL in Sacramento is an example, they do a great job with the minimal resources they are given. KSWB, with similar minimal resources, does not. KTLA who has far more resources than those two, is an embarrassment (I still respectfully disagree with you) to Tribune. They do not really cover news of significance in that market, nor do KTTV or KABC and those three stations are an embarrassment to both LA and journalism. Most of the news on those three stations is fluff, crime, police chases. I lost respect for KTLA after I saw them covering a cat stuck in a tree and they had a chopper over it as well as a live news crew. Yes this was in 2010 which is after Corsini took over and they did an overhaul of the image but not the content. Remember when they had the chopper 5 over the jail when Paris Hilton was released? You cannot take them seriously when they consider that news.

WGN does it right. Great balance in the morning with seriousness and humor, and at night they're all serious. They cover news of significance. WPIX/KTLA do not.

My go to outlet for news in LA is the newspaper or KFI because I cannot respect the TV stations in that market. I used to watch KNBC but after they pulled that crap on FTV Live not responding to his call when they said they'd call him back in two minutes, I no longer watch them. If I had to pick a news station then it'd be KCBS/KCAL, last half decent station there.

Yes, I mention Sinclair a lot, but I had a reason to mention Sinclair in relation to KUSI because if they were looking to expand into San Diego, KUSI would be fit perfectly. The Mark Hyman editorials would blend well with their mix of personalities. I have a hard time seeing the McKinnons sell their baby, though.

KUSI's American flag-inspired graphics looks very similar to Fox News, yet they're not the FOX affiliate. That says a lot about the station.

It's a good thing there are so many news choices in San Diego. If you like KUSI, more power to you.

Yes, I mention Sinclair a lot, but I had a reason to mention Sinclair in relation to KUSI because if they were looking to expand into San Diego, KUSI would be fit perfectly. The Mark Hyman editorials would blend well with their mix of personalities. I have a hard time seeing the McKinnons sell their baby, though.

KUSI's American flag-inspired graphics looks very similar to Fox News, yet they're not the FOX affiliate. That says a lot about the station.

So if they are not affiliated with Fox you do not think they should have American flag-inspired graphics? What's wrong with them being patriotic? :confused:

I do think the Mark Hyman editorials would fit great, but honestly I don't care about Mark Hyman's opinion and usually mute the TV when KABB reluctantly puts him on (ask the people there what they think about him, one of 'em said "does anybody in San Antonio really care about this?").

It's a good thing there are so many news choices in San Diego. If you like KUSI, more power to you.

Unfortunately they won't sell it, yet they don't invest in it as much as they should. They still have vans that date from the early to mid 90's and their set is close to 20 years old. They make enough money off the station that the McKinnon's can afford to keep it in tip top shape, hell if they invested more into the station they could easily be on the level of KFMB or KNSD (as far as resources).

So if they are not affiliated with Fox you do not think they should have American flag-inspired graphics? What's wrong with them being patriotic? :confused:

KUSI is free to position themselves as they want to. They just look more like a localized version of Fox News than the FOX O&O's do (and, that is with Roger Ailes as Chairman of Fox Television Stations!). And KSWB is using the 2005-era FOX O&O-like graphics, too.

I agree. From the early 2000's to prior to Corsini taking over KTLA, the station was a joke. Ever since then, he has built that station up and made it a player in the L.A. market. Yes, they might have their light/fun side but it's not like it's constantly like that. When something major happens, they're on it. Also, for the most part before Sam Zell took over Tribune, each station was pretty much autonomous in how they ran their shop. After Zell came in, they started to cut and micro-manage the stations and look at how well that turned out. Now, it seems like they're going back to allowing the stations to make their own decisions, etc. but sure they're trying to save money (graphics hub, etc.) and that's to be expected.

KTLA seemed more dysfunctional in the 2000's than it does now (which I assume has to do with whoever was the ND at that time, but they seem to be in much better shape now, especially since they've managed to beat Good Day LA which has had the morning ratings crown in that market for as long as I can remember. I'm sure KTLA has been profiting off of the mismanagement that is KTTV as well.

Sorry if I was trying to say Tribune does not take news seriously. Most of their stations do. KTXL in Sacramento is an example, they do a great job with the minimal resources they are given. KSWB, with similar minimal resources, does not. KTLA who has far more resources than those two, is an embarrassment (I still respectfully disagree with you) to Tribune. They do not really cover news of significance in that market, nor do KTTV or KABC and those three stations are an embarrassment to both LA and journalism. Most of the news on those three stations is fluff, crime, police chases. I lost respect for KTLA after I saw them covering a cat stuck in a tree and they had a chopper over it as well as a live news crew. Yes this was in 2010 which is after Corsini took over and they did an overhaul of the image but not the content. Remember when they had the chopper 5 over the jail when Paris Hilton was released? You cannot take them seriously when they consider that news.

WGN does it right. Great balance in the morning with seriousness and humor, and at night they're all serious. They cover news of significance. WPIX/KTLA do not.

My go to outlet for news in LA is the newspaper or KFI because I cannot respect the TV stations in that market. I used to watch KNBC but after they pulled that crap on FTV Live not responding to his call when they said they'd call him back in two minutes, I no longer watch them. If I had to pick a news station then it'd be KCBS/KCAL, last half decent station there.

KCBS/KCAL are just as bad anymore as the rest of the stations in LA. Your main complaints about KTLA can be used to describe any of the other English-language stations in that market. I hold all the stations in that market to a very low standard anymore. But nowadays the more serious ones tend to be either KTLA or KNBC (again, by LA standards).

And of course you can't beat the LA Times. I just hope that when Tribune sells it, they'll sell it to someone who won't run it into the ground *cough cough* Manchester and U-T San Diego *cough cough*.

I see the San Diego market divided in two: The "upper tier" of KNSD, KFMB, and KGTV and the "lower tier" of KSWB, KUSI and XETV in terms of resources and content. I actually think XETV does the best job of the 10pm news stations. Sure it's ownership is probably a shell for some cartel, but they're usually pretty good about getting current or new stories in the first segment. KSWB and KUSI often lead with stuff you've already seen at 5 and 6 with nothing to advance it, and often on weekends they'll lead with something that happened the day before.

The other stations are good about putting fresh new content at the top of their programs, but the real problem I have is how they oversell stuff that happens on the scanners. KGTV and KNSD are incredibly aggressive with such petty "breaking news" stories.. but 9 times out of 10 they're running a reporter out to a cold scene with very little broll and barely enough information (often not confirmed or absolutely wrong) for a 45 second hit... just for the sake of being "live" with a "new" or "developing" story. Oh how I hate seeing things branded as "developing stories".. especially stories that have already fully developed! KFMB is by no means above it, but I feel like they take a more measured approach with out the "end-of-the-world" panic some of these other reporters have. But I will say I'm a huge fan of Mark Mullen, Catherine Garcia and Monica Dean in the evenings on KNSD.

KUSI is far and away the best newscast in that market.

I'm sorry sa but WTF are you smoking out there? The morning paper is more up-to-date and techologically advanced than anything on KUSI. I do agree with your thoughts on the sorry state of LA TV. It used to be so great, and what's happened at some of these stations is a real shame, especially KTTV and KNBC.

And yes, I'll take the LA Times over Papa Doug Manchester's Yellow Rag anyday of the week.

KTTV is definitely the worst news product in the Los Angeles market. KTLA has significantly changed over the last few years and they are generally first to cut into regular programming on a breaking story. KTLA has a good mix of being lighter in the morning but during major news stories are on top of it. They are definitely not an embarrassment to Tribune. I think that distinction goes to WPIX.

KUSI is a mess. That's all.

Hell, most employees there probably think that. I went to a Padres game a few years back and I approached a KUSI crew outside of Petco Park, and began chatting with the cameraman. In our conversation I asked when they planned to get them new equipment and invest in the station, the photographer shook his head, chuckled a bit and said " I don't know man, your guess is as good as mine". You could tell he was really holding back what he wanted to say. They would end up getting new cameras and some new equipment when they transitioned to HD news. The McKinnons can certainly afford to invest some more money into the station and they would still make plenty of money. On a side note, XETV seems to have acquired HD cameras since footage from the field (not live reports) are in HD. This leaves KFMB as the only station in town that does not shoot footage from the field in HD.

I will agree with everyone who claims KUSI is not technologically advanced, and I only agree because their other two stations KIII (which is actually their original station before they moved to California in the 80's) and KBMT also had crappy equipment until London bought them and immediately made considerable investments (including new cameras and finally moving to HD), and hell I think they probably have better equipment than KUSI does. KIII is much better under London than under McKinnon. KIII still has a clone of KUSI's set (from 2000 when they moved to their new building which is a converted department store) and that's the one thing London could invest in.

However, I make my judgment on KUSI based on their content and personalities, not on how technologically advanced they are. Yes when I went to San Diego in 2010 KUSI looked like it was in the mid 90's but I still watched it because it had the news and that was I wanted. If I went back this time around I would watch still them. I also read the U-T back then when it was still owned by the private equity firm. Although the quality of the news writing was incredibly bad, it is much worse under their new ownership. San Diego does not have a real newspaper anymore and hasn't since Copley gave out and it's unfortunate.

Archived