WCAU/WWSI Moving Out of 10 Monument

WCAUTVNBC10

Comcast announced today that they are building another skyscraper downtown across the street from their current HQ. WCAU and WWSI will move to the new building with new studios and technology when its complete. The press release and announcement can be seen here:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/business/Comcast-Seeks-to-Redefine-Philadelphia-Itself-240313291.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_PHBrand

I can't speak on KNSD but Comcast (esp corporate) sees WCAU as their baby and they have more than displayed that in the way they treat it.

With WCAU being in Philly, it's obvious why. I know that WNBC is the network flagship, but would it be safe to say that WCAU is the Comcast flagship?

With WCAU being in Philly, it's obvious why. I know that WNBC is the network flagship, but would it be safe to say that WCAU is the Comcast flagship?

Pretty much. I've been told by various people on numerous occasions that when corporate shows off NBC to prospective clients/partners they use WCAU.

Comcast sure is investing in its O&O's. This would be like the 4th building that Comcast builds for it's O&O's? People complain about Comcast, but at least they're investing in their stations/communities which is a lot more than GE did for NBC.

I guess WPVI will be lonely with its competition not directly across the street from them.

That is going to be weird, honestly.

They aired an old blooper around 2003 which showed an Action News car on fire. On 10's property. Camera pans over to see almost the entire staff at channel 10, outside, applauding. Hilarious.

It's why, when 10 started its resurgence, to me it felt right. Because they're across the street, they feel like natural enemies. It'll be weird when 6 is the only one there. And one downside, because 10 is in Bala Cynwyd (and not the city proper - City Line is actually the city line, so 6 is in Philly while 10 is not), they were exempt from Philly's wage tax. Not anymore.

But then, they're going to be in the heart of downtown, in a huge tower, right at corporate headquarters. (Or near it, anyway.) Which is what a flagship station deserves.

They aired an old blooper around 2003 which showed an Action News car on fire. On 10's property. Camera pans over to see almost the entire staff at channel 10, outside, applauding. Hilarious.

It's why, when 10 started its resurgence, to me it felt right. Because they're across the street, they feel like natural enemies. It'll be weird when 6 is the only one there. And one downside, because 10 is in Bala Cynwyd (and not the city proper - City Line is actually the city line, so 6 is in Philly while 10 is not), they were exempt from Philly's wage tax. Not anymore.

But then, they're going to be in the heart of downtown, in a huge tower, right at corporate headquarters. (Or near it, anyway.) Which is what a flagship station deserves.

Just think of it this way. They'll now be a few blocks down the street from 3.

What sucks is they don't have plans to build a separate streetside studio, but the way people drive in Philly I can't say I blame them. I do hope in their they incorporate the glassiness of the building into the set design. I kinda would love for them to replicate this somehow:

WCAU1987.jpg.1873cf237287e7afe2f607cbd500a8d4.jpg

What sucks is they don't have plans to build a separate streetside studio, but the way people drive in Philly I can't say I blame them. I do hope in their they incorporate the glassiness of the building into the set design. I kinda would love for them to replicate this somehow:

Streetside studios were nice concept but at the local level it's a pain in the ass to have. Just ask KNSD how well its going with their streetside studio. After three or four years of use they basically covered up 3/4 of the windows with dark blinds and or some skyline stickers to keep people from looking in. Their newsroom is also covered up by blinds, so no one can look in anymore. It was done to keep away the homeless and the occasional idiot who would do stupid things to get on air. It works for the national shows because they only use their studio for a little bit each day, compared to the local level which may be used several times a day.

The only way streetside studios would work if it's something where the viewer can see in, but isn't a backdrop - like WLS, WABC, the current Today set, etc. WTXF's studio is nice (though it's getting up there), but the way it's positioned doesn't really permit viewers to be in the background.

I can easily see them doing an open newsroom set to take advantage of the glassiness of the building. Like 7E, but, y'know, good.

Though I'd love something like that 1985 set. That one was the best skyline set I've ever seen. It looks like you're actually in the city, and the depth of field they used (to blur the background a bit) really enhanced it.

Yeah but being a few blocks down the street from the perennial number 3 (okay, sometimes number 2, but CBS) is nothing like being across the street from one of the most dominant stations in the country. Still, it sounds like the new building will be one of Comcast's key broadcasting facilities, since they took time to mention 30 Rock and Fort Lee in the press release.

We've got some new details as to what they have planned for their new digs. At least 3 studios with at least 3 control rooms, and the newsroom will fit into the open glass design of the building. Can't wait:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/business/New-Comcast-Building-a-Gamechanger-for-NBC10-Telemundo-62-240860921.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_PHBrand

• 3 weeks later...

Can you post that clip? I'd love to see that.

• 11 months later...

It will be interesting to see whether NBCUniversal will retain the Bala Cynwyd property or sell it to a developer who could:

1) Sell it to a smaller local television station such as a public broadcaster i.e. WHYY Ch.12 or WYBE Ch.35 or even a cable television service.

2) Sell it to a local or national television studio operator who will run it as an independent television production facility.

3) Renovate it and make it into a mixed-use property i.e. lease out to local businesses or medical practices.

4) Demolish it and replace it with a new campus of buildings which are GREEN certified leasing to businesses and also have retail stores.

5) Do what the company my father worked for did, close the facility and then give the million dollar piece of property away to the city

in exchange for a HUGE tax break and then the city sells it to Home Depot or another Big Box company who will built a MEGA store.

Looking at Google Maps satellite this is a pretty impressive piece of property with the station's main building on the corner of Monument Road and City Avenue,

three Parking lots and two additional buildings on the property stretching from Monument Road, Deckert Boulevard and St. Asaphs Avenue.

Archived